Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back to steam  (Read 861 times)

frenchguy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Back to steam
« on: June 29, 2020, 04:38:24 pm »

Hello all!

I’m a French modeler, living in Boston, USA since the early eighties. I have built several static wood boat models, especially from the rich era of New England fishing schooners. I also grew interested in steam machines and boats. In 2005, I bought a boiler from Cheddar Models in UK as they were going out of business, and I bought one of the last "pintail" engine from a UK distributor. And I bought Alexandra from Krich. It took me 4 years to finish the model, but it has given me great pleasure.

After a thorough cleaning of the engine, and installation of a whistle, I have sailed Alexandra again, and now that I’m retired, I want to go back to the hobby. I am equally interested in building a boat and the mechanical engineering aspect of fitting a steam machine in it.

So I joined this group recently and I am humbled by the workmanship around the builds I have seen so far. I am thinking of an open deck chaloupe, and Bernhard enticed me to look at Wide a Wake. I have read (devoured is more the term) a couple of building blogs of this beautiful boat. Being in the US, we are not so lucky as in Europe in steam plants choices; I am currently looking at the MSM Clyde horizontal steam plant. And I know where to get the plans for Wide a Wake, but I will need to resize it smaller for that steam plant.

So, thanks again for accepting me in this group, I am looking forward to reading your building blogs, and learn from your experience.
Cheers,
Stephan

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Back to steam
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 10:42:13 pm »

Cool, welcome aboard!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.