Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Costa Concordia  (Read 124635 times)

pugwash

Re: COSTA CONCORDIA SINKS
« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2012, 12:04:36 am »

Having travelled on the venice-greece ferries about 20+ times each way - 35000 ton, 30 knots ships, there has never been a safety drill on any trip,on any ferry line,
 just an announcement stating in case of emergency to listen out for the 6 or more blast on the ships siren and then go to your muster station. Details of
you muster station will be found on the inside of your cabin door and lifejackets will be in the cabin wardrobe.  That was it for a 22 hr trip in quite a busy sea area
The were just treated as sea going buses.

Geoff

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #201 on: January 22, 2012, 12:19:23 am »

Bryan's theory about the captains decision to beach her is what most ships would do in that situation, it is tuff luck that ship that didnt beach on a flat bed, you can see on google map that the entrance to harbour looks soft and flat, there was reports of electrical problems which could mean that see lost propultion and quite had it to the harbour.

Dodgy geezer brings up the point of maybe the bow thruster was used, has far as i can tell the stabiliser fins are retractable, on the ships i work on we have retractable fins and when the fins are out the bow thruster wont start, as far as I know its the same on all ships with retractable fins.

David

Listening to a captain on the radio here in N. Ireland he gave the impression that the boat was doing over 6 knots when whatever happened heppened.  The reason he indicated was that the stabilisers have an inbuilt safety mechanism that retracts them below 6 knots - I assume just in case someone on the bridge forgets to retract them as they come in to dock.

Based on its current location, did she do a 180 turn at some stage to end up on her starboard side given that the island should have been on her port side?? Could that be why she landed on her starboard side with stabiliser extended - basically a fast 'handbrake turn'??

Declan

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2012, 12:29:50 am »

That was it for a 22 hr trip in quite a busy sea area
The were just trated as sea going buses.

Yep Geoff, as on IMO regulation a drill must be organized at least before the 24th hour of the trip. If only 22h sailing : no drill ! time is money, and time of the crew is also money !

About the fin I'm thinking that the fin was out during the accident itself (+ 15 kn), no dammage because of the turning of the ship as discribe on the AIS data video (no dammage neither on the bow and aft section of the ship)   then after this grounding with the black out because of main engine room flooding + only emergency power, : the low power provided is for essential rescue things as light and no more need to take care of fins.   

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2012, 01:20:54 pm »

Excuse my ignorance here but I have only seen pictures and video of the huge Wartzilla engines.  When the ship is at this angle do they remain in position or tare themselves out of their mountings?
regards Roy

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2012, 02:42:27 pm »

Oh no, even if you turn the ship up side down the engines will stay on the right place  :D

davidm1945

« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2012, 04:51:03 pm »

As I said above, the drills are compulsory. They check that everyone is there and if anyone is missing they are chased up by the crew.On Thomson Cruises they had passenger checklists at your designated lifeboat. On QM2 I think they relied upon the crew ensuring that all passengers were at muster stations. They also check that you have put your lifejacket on properly.

Hi All,

We  had a cruise on the Saga Ruby last year and the Lifeboat/Lifejacket drills were carried out before we cast off from Dover harbour. As you say there were no exceptions and passengers missing from the checklist were chased up by a crew member. We had a question and answer session to make sure we all understood what we had to do. All very efficient!

Dave

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2012, 05:03:09 am »

Can't vouch for the accuracy, but some of the Aussie press, is now reporting that the change of course, had been approved by the owners.
Also, there is speculation that unregistered passengers were aboard, because even with the detailed passenger list, all the bodies cannot be identified from the passenger list.
The investigation is now being centred on the owners.

Interesting developments, which may play out like, the off course taking a short cut ore carrier, that went aground in the barrier reef.
The owners were found more culpable than the captain and fined accordingly

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2012, 09:09:10 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9036390/Costa-Concordia-captains-wife-says-Schettino-not-a-monster.html

Costa Concordia: captain's wife says Schettino 'not a monster'

The wife of Francesco Schettino, the captain who capsized the Costa Concordia cruise ship insisted that her husband "was not a monster" but admitted that he had once been fined for taking a motorboat too close to the coast.

Fabiola Russo defended her husband as the death toll from the disaster rose to 16 more than 10 days after the luxury liner smashed into the Tuscan island of Giglio. At least 17 passengers and crew were still unaccounted for.

Ms Russo, 48, said her husband, Capt Francesco Schettino, 52, had been unfairly made a scapegoat for the debacle, which forced the chaotic night-time evacuation of the ship's 4,200 passengers and crew.

The commander, who has been branded "Captain Coward" by the Italian press, is under house arrest at the home he shares with his wife and 17-year-old daughter in Meta di Sorrento near Naples.

"My husband is at the centre of an unprecedented global media storm," Ms Rossi told Oggi (Today), an Italian weekly magazine.

"I cannot think of any other naval or air tragedy in which the responsible party was treated with such violence ... This is a manhunt, people are looking for a scapegoat, a monster. It's shameful."

However, she admitted Capt Schettino had once been fined for steering too close to the coast in the past.

"Our shared passion is canoeing – to paddle together you have to be in symphony, which is what Francesco and I are," she said. "But we got fined once, because we took a little motorboat too close to the coast."

She said her husband had been unfairly branded a coward after it emerged that he took to a life boat during the drama, leaving hundreds of terrified passengers and crew members still aboard the stricken liner.

Audio recordings emerged in which a furious Coast Guard official ordered him to "get back on board, for ----'s sake" and take command of the situation – an order he apparently ignored.

But his wife claimed he was "determined, firm and lucid. He is able to analyse situations, to understand and manage them".

Capt Schettino was regarded as "a maestro" by his crew, his wife said.

Meanwhile the chief prosecutor overseeing the investigation said failings in safety procedures meant that Genoa-based Costa Cruises should also be investigated.

Beniamino Deidda, the chief prosecutor of Tuscany, pointed to "life boats that could not be lowered, crew that did not know what to do, inadequate preparation for emergencies and absurd orders such as the one for passengers to return to their cabins.

"For now, attention is concentrated on the fault of the captain, who showed himself to be tragically inadequate. But who chose the captain? Not all the shortcomings in safety procedures can be blamed on the captain's conduct."

The operation to remove half a million gallons of oil and diesel out of the crippled ship finally got under way, with a barge loaded with drills and pipes mooring alongside the Concordia.

Divers will spend the first part of the operation inspecting the hull, with the removal of the fuel expected to start on Saturday and to take at least a month.

As Italian navy divers blasted more holes in the hull to aid the continuing search for bodies, chairs, tables and passengers' luggage floated out into the sea – just some of the tens of thousands of objects trapped inside the huge vessel.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

nhp651

« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2012, 08:29:42 pm »

The current plight of the Costa Concordia reminds me of a comment made by Churchill.

After his retirement he was cruising the Mediterranean on an Italian cruise liner and some Italian journalists asked why an ex British Prime Minister should chose an Italian ship.

“There are three things I like about being on an Italian cruise ship”
 said Churchill.

“First their cuisine is unsurpassed................. Secondly,.... their service is superb.

And then, in a time of emergency, there is none of this nonsense about women and children first”.

I wish I had his panache'

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2012, 09:42:58 pm »

So great  {-)

Thanks for sharing this Churchill comment !

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: January 26, 2012, 10:14:22 pm »

Sadly its also possible to get off first if youre rich. Lets hope this story of bribing the crew to get on a lifeboat is false. John.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #211 on: January 26, 2012, 10:26:25 pm »

I phoned the model shop at lunch time.

I asked if they had an Airfix kit of a cruise liner.

They said they had one left of an Italian ship.

I asked them to put it on one side for me.

....... too soon?!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: January 26, 2012, 10:45:00 pm »

I had that joke sent to me as a text within 24 hours of it happening Martin , think some of my mates are sick in the head !!  %) %) :o :o %% %%
Davie Tait,
Scotland

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: January 26, 2012, 11:45:14 pm »

i had a text sent to me about this with a george micheal connection but no way i could post it on here

nhp651

« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2012, 07:51:28 am »

I phoned the model shop at lunch time.

I asked if they had an Airfix kit of a cruise liner.

They said they had one left of an Italian ship.

I asked them to put it on one side for me.

....... too soon?!

Martin.you are a cad and a bounder sir!!!!!

dave301bounty

The Sinking of the Concordia
« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2012, 05:41:46 pm »

Channel 4 tonight ,at 8  - the story of how it happened ?

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Sinking of the Concordia
« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2012, 06:32:06 pm »

Should be interesting to see. But have all the facts come out? Also could this predudis any court case as the captain could claim biased jurors. John.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2012, 06:55:17 pm »

I do not think that the Italian judicial system works in quite the same way as ours, so I suspect they may not have the same concept of abandoning a trial due to inappropriate publicity. The Italian newspapers certainly seem to have prejudged the case to an extreme level!

As I recall, the Italian judge has much greater power to direct the findings of a case - comments from those familiar with the Italian system would be helpful here...

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2012, 08:30:03 pm »

Well, from what I have seen of the prog., it leaves little guessing or doubt... eh???

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2012, 10:43:50 pm »

I don't know, there's still something missing from the bigger picture:

The other bridge officers.
The delay in declaring an emergency.
The lateness of the order to abandon ship.
The company orders.
The design of modern lifeboats for a listing ship.
Why the ship heeled over so suddenly.

... but that's what the inquest should bring out.

You never know, captain Schettino could still end up with an award of some kind for saving so many lives!!!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2012, 10:49:40 pm »

Dear Martin,

I am led to believe the Capt. has interesting reason of how he came to be in a lifeboat?

As to how a 114Kt vessel came to grief like that in the first place does beg some pertinent questions indeed. All else, as you say, is for the Enquiry... but I think some will know where this is going.........

Regards, Bernard

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2012, 11:03:21 pm »

I thought the programme was not too bad considering the lack of technical information so far. I hadn't realised just how many passengers were still aboard after the ship had turned on her side. When you look at the overall circumstances It's astounding that 99% of the passengers and crew got off safely.

Colin

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2012, 11:06:31 pm »

... but Colin the Register was not total......... no-one seemingly knows what it is/was... this known before the prog.. B.

mikearace

« Reply #223 on: January 31, 2012, 11:07:12 pm »

Apparently in future they are selling their cruises by raffle tickets.  This week its a roll over.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #224 on: January 31, 2012, 11:08:39 pm »

...how many times........ ! A few to work on. B.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.