Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Costa Concordia  (Read 124628 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: COSTA CONCORDIA SINKS
« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2012, 08:25:39 pm »

All the fuel has now been removed with no pollution.
..well can you land on this?

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2012, 08:37:41 pm »

Found another few bodies today...

Alan R

• Shipmate
« Reply #252 on: March 23, 2012, 01:56:37 pm »

Hi
Keep an eye on the "Discovery Channel", here in South Africa they a running a programme on Sunday night about what happened. From the trailers I have seen they appear to have got some footage taken aboard the ship, possibly by passengers, also interviews with other "experts" about what happened.
All the best
Alan R

Stavros

« Reply #253 on: April 11, 2012, 10:46:20 pm »

Unbelivable footage on this on Channel 4 this evening,just goes to show who was at fault with the evacuation of his ship,he should be keelhauled for his actions

Dave

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #254 on: April 11, 2012, 10:49:23 pm »

I'm with you there Dave. I could not believe what i have just seen. Why did he get off?? beats me!
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Stavros

« Reply #255 on: April 11, 2012, 10:52:33 pm »

Sorry to say this but he was a and I will say it politly a CHICKEN POO POO and in my opinion all his crew should also be facing charges of Murder no doubt in my mind over that.

Dave

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: April 11, 2012, 11:58:41 pm »

That Captain should have bought a lottery ticket.
How many people can be LUCKY enough to trip up and FALL into a lifeboat ?
Don't forget his first officer also managed to get into the SAME BOAT.
I think his luck ran out when the Italian Coastguard recorded the conversation that followed.
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: April 12, 2012, 12:02:43 am »

Not all his crew Dave. Around 98% of the people on board got off without injury which is pretty amazing and suggests that a lot of the crew actually did a very good job. After all, it wasn't the passengers who lowered all those lifeboats and rafts.

The Captain and a lot of his officers failed miserably and gave no leadership yet the actual loss of life was very small indeed considering the circumstances so some people at least were doing the right thing and should be commended for it.

Colin

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: April 12, 2012, 01:00:15 pm »

Yes most of the passengers got off. But how many more could have been saved with better organization? This is something we may never know. Again luck was came into it that the ship laid over and did not fully sink. To my mind things could have been far worse. No thanks to the brave? captain. John.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2012, 01:33:00 pm »

On a Tv Programme last night I heard someone be asked the question something like , "Could we ever have a sinking similar to the Titanic again?" The answer was a definite NO.  Personally I would never have said no and something on the grounds of "We have taken every possible action to prevent such a sinking at sea again..
I agree that it is highly unlikely it could happen again but then who would have suspected that concordia would hit a bolder...and sink.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2012, 09:45:36 pm »

Channel 4 tonight?

There's one on Saturday 8:15pm......
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #261 on: April 12, 2012, 09:53:26 pm »

Of course it is possible to have another sinking.
One of the concerns in the Marine World now is how to evacuate 8000 people in say mid Atlantic.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2012, 10:33:58 pm »

Thats a very interesting point Bob. Sooner or later its sadly likely that this event will take place Because there are so many varibles. Who knows what would happen. The worst case would sadly mean a loss a lot of people. Has any cruise company ever actually tried as a test an abandon ship test? I suspect not, we can all guess the likely results. John. 

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2012, 11:12:06 pm »

Of course it is possible to have another sinking.
One of the concerns in the Marine World now is how to evacuate 8000 people in say mid Atlantic.

Bob

Hi It is worse than that.
A lot of trips off from Florida USA have a lot of old people and people with impaired movement on board that need lifts to get between decks as stairs are to much. Take that new jumbo block of flats . If you are on top deck it is a lot of deck down to the Life boats.
Have you ever been on a ferry going back down to the car deck when there is may be a mum witha small child or an eldery persion on the stair case and sen how slowy the line moves down the stairs. This is ok for going back down to rejoin your car but on a big cruise ship with 5000+ passengers on board I would fear for the safty of all passengers. Ok there is 2000 crew a high % of that is deck hads or hotel /entermaint staff. There are not many officers on board. In socity to day the like of women and childeren has gone out of the window and it is now every man for himself. Sorry but given a serious event fire or sinking panik will spred and there will be many deaths.

The costa concorida sank very slowy in shallow water stones trow from the shore with water temp that was survibale and yet about 30 dead the question is why. Every one should have made it off that ship with out injery.

john

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #264 on: April 12, 2012, 11:12:26 pm »

Not in open ocean, only usual certification tests.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #265 on: April 22, 2012, 01:09:02 am »

Hi It is worse than that.

The costa concorida sank very slowy in shallow water stones trow from the shore with water temp that was survibale and yet about 30 dead the question is why. Every one should have made it off that ship with out injery.

john

Actually managed to watch the Video Clip Documentary, Great to hear a member of the crew advising everybody to return to their cabin while they sorted the technical problem !!! , in some cases to me it seemed as if the crew were being deliberate obstructive but that could have been editing.

See that they are planning to raise it in one peace

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #266 on: April 23, 2012, 11:16:54 am »

I have yet to watch this program, its all downloaded and waiting.

On another note, it now mentions the salvage has been agreed and they plan to float her.

So does this mean she will one day be back in action or will it be cut up?

Dan

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: April 23, 2012, 11:26:48 am »

Its an interesting question as to the ships future. A lot would depend on the insurence company, as to write  it off or not. Certainly it may not be a popular ship if its reused. No doubt a name change may be in order. Time will tell. Personally i feel it should be scrapped because of the loss of life. John.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: April 23, 2012, 01:15:18 pm »

It is due to be scrapped I understand.

Colin

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #269 on: April 23, 2012, 09:02:33 pm »

Thanks Colin. It probably for the best. John.

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #270 on: April 23, 2012, 11:42:28 pm »

I agree.

I remember when I worked aboard the castoro sei, and we were docked in Almeria port. The Costa Serena came in and did a handbrake turn, docked and unloaded a patient and set sail again within 15 minutes. Was quite a spectical actually when there wasn't much breathing room! I remember coming off the vessel and taking a picture

Dan

Timo2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: " COSTA CONCORDIA " ( Salvage )
« Reply #271 on: April 27, 2012, 09:48:08 am »

Just a Buoy at heart

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #272 on: April 27, 2012, 01:04:14 pm »

Concordia salvage contract worth at least $300 mln

"ROME, April 23 | Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:27pm BST

ROME, April 23 (Reuters)- - The contract to salvage the Costa Concordia cruise liner, won by Titan Salvage of the United States and Italian firm Micoperi, is worth at least $300 million and could cost more, the capsized ship's owner Costa Cruises said on Monday.

The two companies beat Smit Salvage, an arm of Dutch group Boskalis-Westminster and Italy's Neri, which were also on the shortlist to remove the wreck of the ship. Titan Salvage is owned by U.S. group Crowley Maritime Corp .

The vessel capsized off the Tuscan island of Giglio after hitting rocks on Jan. 13. At least 30 people died and two are still unaccounted for.
Costa Cruises chief executive Pierluigi Foschi, whose retirement was announced on Monday, said the winning proposal to salvage the ship had best met requirements such as the need to completely remove the vessel while also protecting the environment.

Costa Cruises is a unit of Carnival Corp & PLC .

He told reporters on the sidelines of a conference presenting the plans that the project was the most expensive of those proposed. The base contract would be worth $300 million but "it could also cost more", he said.

An operation to pump more than 2,300 tonnes of fuel out of the vessel was completed last month.

The head of Italy's Civil Protection Agency Franco Gabrielli said the plan was to stabilise the ship by August and refloat it between November and January. The start of salvage operations would also depend on the issuing of necessary permits, he said.

The ship will be towed away and demolished in Italy, Foschi said, though the exact location for it to be moved to is yet to be decided.

Measures will be taken to protect the tourist industry during the summer season. The port of Giglio will remain open during the operation.

After the ship is removed, the seabed will be cleaned of remaining debris and measures will be taken to allow marine life to flourish again. (Reporting By Silvia Ognibene, writing by Catherine Hornby; Editing by Helen Massy-Beresford)"

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/04/23/costaconcordia-salvage-idUKL5E8FNBFZ20120423
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #273 on: April 27, 2012, 01:06:31 pm »

A job like this, would it be feasible to patch on plates from the outside or is it usually done from the inside?

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #274 on: April 29, 2012, 09:28:33 am »

i would have thought they would place them on the outside...that way the water pressure tries to compress the weld as opposed to stretch it
it only has to make it to port, would also make the repairs cheeper as you dont have to struggle getting patches thru the interior decks

and lets face it the repairs will be done in the fastest time by the lowest bidder  O0
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.