Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Costa Concordia  (Read 124627 times)

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: COSTA CONCORDIA SINKS
« Reply #300 on: July 12, 2012, 12:50:49 pm »

Well  that's alright then...just don't let it happen again, right !!
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #301 on: July 12, 2012, 09:40:40 pm »

According to that report he said "At that moment, I went up to the deck and ordered the ship to be put on manual navigation and I didn't have command, that's to say being in charge of sailing the ship, that was the officer."
Which in my mind roughly translates as "While approaching unusually closely to the shore I told the crew to switch to manual, then wandered off and left them to it, so it wasn't my fault."

colin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #302 on: August 11, 2012, 08:21:35 am »

This link was posted previously but they have brought a crane barge in this morning . it has been quiet on the camera for a while now but certainly moving pity you cannot zoom in closer on the camera

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-g

Regards
Colin
Born free Taxed to death.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #303 on: September 27, 2012, 08:30:55 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #304 on: September 27, 2012, 10:33:07 pm »

I assume that the Lloyds List PR department would have also invited all the families & friends of the lost souls to the presentation, which would be followed up by a special screening of Titanic 3D, prior to sending them home with a limited edition T-Shirt and complimentary goody bag.
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #305 on: September 28, 2012, 05:32:35 am »

What a joke
the boat sunk very slowly 27 people or there abouts die and they get an awarde . This show morden socity reward for failer. Everone should have walked away from that sinking alive. OK some members of the crew did go a good job but as a WHOLE they fail because people were killed. If it was like the Hearld were she sank in 30 sec then thats a diffrent story.

john

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #306 on: September 28, 2012, 09:48:08 am »

Sounds a bit like police at Hillsbourgh getting compensation for the stress of the day while the victims receive not a penny piece.

davidsg1a

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #307 on: September 28, 2012, 11:38:45 am »

I think the crew deserve the award, in any emergancy situation onboard a ship there is always going to be a small percentage of crew members that panic, but people forget about the crew that dont panic and do there jobs and save lifes, the crew that did there jobs properly and saved people deserve this and should be recognized for it. Its always a thought for people who work on passengers ships how a proper evacuation would happen in a real emergancy,noboby knows how people will reactate, people who dissagree with things like this are the ones who dont or have never worked on ships.

David :-))

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #308 on: September 28, 2012, 02:11:27 pm »

I think the crew deserve the award, in any emergancy situation onboard a ship there is always going to be a small percentage of crew members that panic, but people forget about the crew that dont panic and do there jobs and save lifes, the crew that did there jobs properly and saved people deserve this and should be recognized for it. Its always a thought for people who work on passengers ships how a proper evacuation would happen in a real emergancy,noboby knows how people will reactate, people who dissagree with things like this are the ones who dont or have never worked on ships.

David :-))

I don't have an issue with recognising the efforts of 'the crew that did their jobs properly and saved lives' and realise that, despite being trained for such an event, other factors will almost inevitably come into play should the worst happen.

However, as the ship was sailing in the wrong place; it was effectively Captain-less at the time of the accident; and we are led to believe that organisation was lacking with a percentage of that crew did 'panic'.

For the sake of everyone involved in the tragedy, don't you think that, for example, personalised letters of commendation to ALL those assisting the rescue would have been more appropriate, than a public award for Seafaring? 
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #309 on: September 28, 2012, 02:40:51 pm »

I can't see anything wrong with a public acknowledgement for those specific crew members  that actually did well.

Dave

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #310 on: September 28, 2012, 02:55:12 pm »

It's part of the crew's job, especially on a passanger ship, to deal with emergencies in a responsible manner, and certainly appreciation should be shown to those that managed their duty and more.
The employers who, simply for the sake of a few dollars, euros, rubles or whatever put what effectively were incompetent people, and to a degree that goes as far up as the master, onboard, should also be to blame - back to the old corporate responsibility again. No doubt the haranguing of the master will make a suitable smokescreen for them.

colin

• Full Mayhemer
Born free Taxed to death.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #312 on: January 07, 2013, 09:59:03 am »

Costa Concordia: 'Stupid' Tourists Rescued

http://news.sky.com/story/1034333/costa-concordia-stupid-tourists-rescued
Coastguards have criticised five German cruise ship passengers who hired an inflatable boat to get a close-up look of the wrecked Costa Concordia liner.

The group, including two children, had to be rescued after their tiny boat was swamped by waves, whipped up by storm force winds. All were suffering from the effects of the cold.

Officials said the party were holidaymakers from the Costa Magica, a cruise liner from the same Costa Cruises fleet as the ill-fated Concordia, which struck rocks last year leaving 32 people dead off the Italian island of Giglio.

The Germans had arrived at Civitavecchia and made their way to Porto Santo Stefano where they hired the boat so they could take a look at the stricken Concordia which is still lying on rocks just outside the entrance to Giglio harbour.

Although they managed to sail the 10 miles from Porto Santo Stefano without any problem, on the return leg the weather suddenly changed and the boat got into difficulties.

But it managed to stay afloat and they were picked up by a coastguard vessel which took them back to the mainland.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #313 on: January 07, 2013, 10:10:50 am »

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #314 on: January 07, 2013, 10:55:26 am »

A good explanation of how she would be salvaged Martin,I only hope it works!
Mick F

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #315 on: January 07, 2013, 11:08:15 am »

Very impressive.....I wonder who has bought the movie rights?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #316 on: January 07, 2013, 11:42:43 am »

very very interesting that, martin..........hope they succeed and there is a documentary made of it's salvage.
neil.

Calypso

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #317 on: January 07, 2013, 04:43:31 pm »

Thanks for posting this Martin  :-))

I too hope that the re-floating methodology will work out well.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #318 on: January 11, 2013, 09:11:45 am »

BBC:  Salvaging the Costa Concordia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19962191

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #319 on: January 11, 2013, 09:53:17 am »

Hi all, I watched a documentary last night on Nat. Geographic.  It was not the advertised schedule.It was the current Costa Concordia situation with a promise of another but no other detail.  Anybody pick up when this was due?
regards Roy

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #320 on: January 11, 2013, 02:07:28 pm »

Costa Concordia disaster, one year on. National Geographic Channel.
18-00 (6pm) Sunday 13/01/13.

Costa Concordia disaster, caught on camera. National Geographic Channel.
19-00 (7pm) Sunday 13/01/13.
Regards
Richard
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #321 on: January 11, 2013, 11:14:35 pm »

Hi richtea, I shall be there!
reagrds Roy

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #322 on: January 12, 2013, 12:55:45 am »

Just watched the One Year On programme, there didn't seem to be much more than there was last year, save a couple of new audio recordings and a few graphics on the salvage operation. Only the last 10 minutes or so seemed to be new stuff.

Andrew

Calypso

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #323 on: January 12, 2013, 12:40:06 pm »

According a Yahoo News article, plans are being made to salvage the wreck between June and September.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/concordia-removed-between-june-september-121418240.html

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Salvaging the Costa Concordia
« Reply #324 on: January 28, 2013, 12:26:53 pm »

For those who have not seen it, this may interest you. A programe by the USA company 60minutes on salvaging the Costa Concordia.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50137223n
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.