Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Costa Concordia  (Read 124815 times)

richtea

Re: COSTA CONCORDIA SINKS
« Reply #225 on: January 31, 2012, 11:11:11 pm »

According to the translation of the conversation between the captain and the coastguard,
the 1st officer was at his captains side, in the life raft.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #226 on: February 01, 2012, 10:38:08 am »

Oh dear, trial by media yet again.

Strangely enough in an interview with a local lass who was one of the entertainment staff, said that she had sailed with the Captain many times before and he was most proffesional and despite being well versed in the lifeboat and safety procedures as they have to do them at the same time as the passengers, when you have to do it for real, all the training doesn't prepare you for it.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #227 on: February 01, 2012, 12:04:43 pm »

Dear Ian,

I probably have been heavy handed in this. Obviously until the enquiry is finished no-one will know what happened. But, how this vessel came to grief is strange all the same... as to appropriate action when it did happen, well, again, all for the enquiry to determine of course.

Regards, Bernard

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: February 01, 2012, 01:56:27 pm »

No you haven't Bernard, too many questions, some which will probably never be answered but the general public have to have a whipping boy. Too many knee jerk reactions have had to have linament poured on them at a later date in the past.

Was surprised to see it advertised for transmission last night (31st) and another tonight. I trust the channel 4 "Investigaters will be called on at the Italian hearing to give their "Accounts" of the happening. Why compromise a good story at the expense of truth.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2012, 07:42:36 pm »

An interesting site to keep an eye on

http://www.cargolaw.com/2012nightmare_costa_concor.html

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: February 04, 2012, 10:47:49 am »

This link shows the actual AIS track of the ship:
http://www.qps.nl/download/attachments/6718686/Grounding+Costa+Concordia.wmv?version=2&modificationDate=1326885071126
The notes accompanying it read:

It wasn't that the captain simply sailed too close to the shore, he approached the shore at too sharp an angle and turned much too late - and even then didn't seem to see or notice on the radar the EXPOSED rock that he hit until a few hundred metres before he hit it.  The AIS video shows the port side of the ship hitting and "bouncing off" the rock as it turns to starboard - while the forward speed suddenly drops from 16 to 10 and then 8 kts.  Hardly surprising that all the dishes crash to the floor - or that when the rock, penetrating further and further into the hull was broken off as it hit a bulkhead!

You can also see that the ship was using side thrusters to take it towards the shore when they decided to beach it - and that it hit the beach a full 70 mins after hitting the rock.

Colin

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #231 on: February 04, 2012, 11:57:21 am »

Hello,

Been looking at some photos of the huge boulder which is embedded into the side of the ship.
What is the large shiny object in the lower left of this photo?.

John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: February 04, 2012, 12:30:05 pm »

I thought it was my old Bike, until I saw the size of the men.   :}

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #233 on: February 04, 2012, 03:41:40 pm »

Very interesting Colin, good find.

This link shows the actual AIS track of the ship:
http://www.qps.nl/download/attachments/6718686/Grounding+Costa+Concordia.wmv?version=2&modificationDate=1326885071126
The notes accompanying it read:

You can also see that the ship was using side thrusters to take it towards the shore when they decided to beach it - and that it hit the beach a full 70 mins after hitting the rock.

Colin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2012, 04:01:37 pm »

John the white is part of the double bottom of the hull I think , it would have been painted white so light from inspection lamps would show as much of the section as possible
Davie Tait,
Scotland

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2012, 05:28:29 pm »

Hello,

I was wondering if it could have been a marker Bouy !!.

John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #236 on: February 04, 2012, 08:56:13 pm »

I was wondering if it could be a stabiliser, as the other, is shown extended on the other side????

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: February 04, 2012, 09:40:47 pm »

I am sure that the captain was paying more attention to the safety of his ship than to the 24-year-old Moldovan lady member of the entertainment staff who was said to be on the bridge with him, whose personal effects were ALLEDGEDLY found in his cabin.

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: February 05, 2012, 04:07:52 pm »

I was wondering if it could be a stabiliser, as the other, is shown extended on the other side????

Thought the stabilizer that was shown was on the same side ???

catengineman

« Reply #239 on: February 05, 2012, 04:43:46 pm »

CF-FZG

« Reply #240 on: February 05, 2012, 08:03:14 pm »

Thought the stabilizer that was shown was on the same side ???

It is, the 'other side' is under 25 metres of water %)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: February 05, 2012, 09:26:21 pm »

Why would the ship being this close to port, have the stabilisers out anyway? I would have thought they would have been retracted, especially in shallow water?
Mick

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #242 on: February 05, 2012, 10:12:16 pm »

Would it to stabilize the ship in a sharp turn? John.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #243 on: February 06, 2012, 08:30:50 am »

I thought the ship was on a "sail by" and not scheduled to stop at Giglio ....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #244 on: February 06, 2012, 09:47:39 am »

I thought the ship was on a "sail by" and not scheduled to stop at Giglio ....

Quite! The ship is considerably bigger than the port!

Colin

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: March 02, 2012, 09:11:30 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108790/Costa-Concordia-officers-took-drugs-duty-molested-women-staff.html

'Costa Concordia officers took drugs while on duty and molested women staff': Explosive claims made during investigation into doomed cruise ship

Two former Costa Cruises employees have told prosecutors investigating the Concordia disaster that officers 'took drugs' while on duty and molested female staff members, it was reported in Italy today.

One woman, a nurse identified only as Valentina B and who worked with under fire Concordia skipper Francesco Schettino, claimed he regularly 'used women as goods to be bartered with.'

She described how she had been on the liner Atlantica with spineless Schettino, 52, who is accused of abandoning the Concordia after he steered it on to rocks and left more than 30 people dead, for a month between January and February 2010.

Her damning revelations to investigating prosecutor Francesco Verusio, were published by La Stampa newspaper and she said of her experiences with Genoa based Costa: 'I found corruption, prostitution and drugs.

'Do not tell me it’s my word against them - I saw directly with my own eyes senior officers take cocaine.

'To prove it all you need to do is carry out an examination of their hair.'

Her claims come just days after a cocaine test on strands of Schettino’s hair tested positive for cocaine but his legal team have asked for a second examination as they dispute the results and he has insisted that he does not drink or take drugs.

The nurse, who worked for Costa for a total of seven months between October 2009 and May 2010, made her allegations in more than 5,000 pages of prosecution documents.

They form part of the case against Schettino who is facing charges of multiple manslaughter, causing a shipwreck, abandoning ship when passengers were still onboard and failing to communicate with maritime authorities.

Valentina went on to claim that 'crew members were reduced to virtual slaves by the officers' adding that she left the company after receiving threats and that she was 'still owed money'.

Another former employee, identified only as Mary G said: 'The crew and officers are very superficial when it come to dealing with an emergency. I only worked for Costa for two months in 2010 but a lot of the time officers and crew were drunk.

'At parties a lot of the time we would ask ourselves ‘If there is an emergency who is going to save the ship?’

'I was also molested by a crew member at a lunch once after he had taken drugs. They made me sign doctored work sheets and time sheets. I am taking action against them and it will be in court soon.'

On Saturday a preliminary hearing involving Schettino is due to take place in Grosseto with dozens of passengers from the doomed Concordia expected to attend, forcing the venue to be moved from the town’s court to the theatre which has extra seating capacity.

Schettino was placed under investigation after it emerged he had recklessly altered the Concordia’s course so that he could carry out a sail by salute of the Italian island of Giglio in January but the ship which was carrying more than 4,000 passengers and crew hit rocks which tore a 70 metre hole in the hull.

It is now currently lying partially submerged on rocks just outside Giglio harbour while salvage experts continue to pump off more than 500,000 gallons of heavy duty diesel from the ship’s tanks.

Costa issued a statement which did not respond specifically to the allegations made but which said: 'On board our ships there are strict safety and surveillance measures concerning drugs possession.

'It is not allowed in any way to bring on board, possess, trade or use narcotics, drugs or psychotropic drugs.

'Whichever crew member who possesses, uses drugs or however make some traffic are submitted to disciplinary provisions and disembarked. 

'On board there are checks and preventive actions to discourage such behaviours. Both in navigation and in port.

'It is not allowed to consume alcohol in quantity that can impairs the capacity to perform the on board duties. The crew on guard must abstain from the use of alcoholic beverages at least 4 hours before the start of their shift.'

Davie Tait,
Scotland

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #246 on: March 02, 2012, 10:16:40 pm »

there was a report from the Italian Police that they had found traces of Cocaine in samples of his hair so might be some truth to this but not much I'd be willing to bet , all to often stories like this are just bitter former employees out for revenge , wonder if el capitano thought the 2 women mentioned were a bit on the lower deck rough type for him !!!
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #247 on: March 04, 2012, 01:48:06 pm »

Yes this is within the "Chit Chat" Topic, but in the COSTA CONCORDIA SINKS.
If someone wants to read about the subject matter this will not include the personal opinions for so many posts about the tabloid press.
If you feel that strongly why not start another thread.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

chingdevil

« Reply #248 on: March 05, 2012, 08:11:19 am »

The thread has been tidied up to put it back on topic, and the references to different newspapers has been removed.

Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2012, 08:13:19 pm »

Any news of the Costa Concordia?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.