Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diesel Smoke  (Read 2532 times)

Captain Flack

Diesel Smoke
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:21:18 am »

Can you buy a "diesel" smoke generator that would give a large plume on start up and then a trickle perhaps through some rear exhausts?  Something that could be tied into the ESC perhaps?

Captain Flack

Re: Diesel Smoke
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:52:24 am »

Sorry all, didn't realise that this had already been posted further down the page.  Unfortunately, that post didn't attarct any answers other than the standard smoke generators. ;)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:54:02 pm »

I've heard stories of modellers producing 'black smoke' generators but I've never actually seen one yet....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 03:54:37 pm »

As Martin said. It does appear this type of smoker does not exist. A water fogger would disperse the colourant all over the boat. With the hot element type it may be possible to find an additive which could be added to the oil to produce the required effect. The Red Arrows inject a dye into the engine to produce a coloured smoke. This may? Work at lower temparatures. Good luck let us know if you have any success. John. 

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:31:40 pm »

The coloured smoke generated by the Red Arrow aircraft is produced by the injection of diesel and dye into the exhaust heat outlet at the rear of the aircraft, I have filled these units many times by way of my occupation, it would be inviting trouble to introduce it to the engine, with this in mind any similar method of dark smoke would require a separate heat source which would return us back to the already available ceramic units.
Howard

nsa66

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 08:41:28 am »

Hi

See my article regarding my own homebrew smoke generator. Because the smoke is being constantly generated, even when the fan is not running, it provides a boost of smoke when the fan is first started which settles down into a steady flow. It is capable of having its outlet "plumbed" via quite long lengths of pipe so would suit being used for horizontal exhausts.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=34545.0

Mungeltuete

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 11:58:16 am »

Hi folks,

Benedini (http://www.benedini.de/Home_E/Products_E/products_e.html) is offering a smoke generator that can be combined with an ESC and soundunit.

Here the description from their web-site:
"This option realizes an absolute realistic exhaust simulation. Smoke volume and smoke speed depends on the model state. When the engine is shut down, no smoke exits the exhaust. During starting the engine, a large volume of smoke is blown out the exhaust."

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Markus

nsa66

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 01:34:27 pm »

Interesting unit but have you seen the price?  190 Euros !

Build a unit like mine or use any commercial oil burner, add in one of ACTion's fan speed controllers and you'd still save enough for gallons of smoke fluid.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 08:17:45 am »

Or buy a pond mister for less than £4 off E Bay Fit in a box. Fit an old computer fan.Will need 24v or a step up unit about £12 . For variable smoke connect fan to esc. Uses water, leaves no oily residue, Will run far longer than an oil burner.Uses less power. Sadly no way to colour smoke yet known. Just another way to produce smoke effect. John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.