Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Acrylic Paints  (Read 9754 times)

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
Using Acrylic Paints
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:35:21 pm »

Can anyone advise please. I will be painting my hull with an Acrylic paint, right up to the gunwales and slightly overlapping a varnished deck. Must I use an Acrylic varnish for the deck to avoid a reaction with the paint, or can other types of varnish be used ?
Thanks, Terry.
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Using Acrylic Paints
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:51:43 pm »

Dont use acrylic varnish as most of it tends to be for interior use only and if it gets wet for any length of time can turn milky white.

You can use most varnishes on acrylic paint, I use Ronseal myself.

Hope this helps.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

CJ

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 06:11:24 pm »

Terry, see my post below reference the same problem pretty much.....was recommended polyurethane varnish - Ronseal interior matt. Have tried two test lumps of wood and the deck so all seems good. Definitely the advice was worth listening too  :} :}

CJ

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 06:15:43 pm »

As above, I have used acrylic varnish on a Stingray and paid the price, faint white blotches after a couple of runs. I remedied it with Humbrol gloss varnish through an air brush.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

bobk

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:06:20 pm »

I am worried after reading this.  Having just sprayed up my new hull with Tamiya matt acrylic paint I had sent off for tins of Tamiya semi gloss varnish to seal it all up on completion, and hopefully protect it for handling and sailing.  Tamiya are normally reliable and there was nothing in their specification saying 'do not get it wet' after application.
I had considered using an airbrushable semi gloss varnish but had read somewhere here that the particles in suspension can keep clogging up airbrushes.  Please advise !   {:-{

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:17:35 pm »

Tamiya tend to be aimed at plastic kit makers so the issue of getting it wet doesn't usually arise. Probably OK for the superstructure when fully dry (leave it a week or so) but not always so good for immersed hulls. I am with Dicky D on this, use Ronseal or another similar Polyurethane interior varnish (Wilkinson's, Blackfrriars or Rustins) but make sure you do get the proper polyurethane varnish and not the quick dry variety which is acrylic water based.

Colin

bobk

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:36:37 pm »

Thanks Colin.  I take it you mean the regular DIY exterior type Polyurathane varnish, usually comes in 1/2 litre or larger tins?
Can you airbrush this, and if so can you please give some tips:  ie thinning ratio. Thin with what?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:45:30 pm »

No Bob, use the interior stuff. The external variety has UV filters which give a slightly yellow cast, otherwise they are the same. You can get it in matt or satin in 250 ml size altough you may have to look around a bit. If brush painting just add thinners (Humbrol enamel thinners or just white spirit) so you don't get runs. For airbrushing, Paul Freshney, Model Boats Editor, thins it 4 parts thinner to one of varnish and puts on several very thin coats. His standard of finish is just about the best you can get!

Colin

bobk

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:54:14 pm »

Much appreciated Colin.  Satin interior type it is. You have probably saved me from a potentially nasty experience.  Thank you.

PS:  Just found on B&Q  Plasti-kote Polyurethane Varnish Spray Satin 400ml.  Says for interior use.
"Provides a tough, durable and hard wearing coating. Protects against scratches and stains. Non-yellowing"
http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/paint/woodcare/interior_woodcare/-specificproducttype-wood_varnish/Plasti-kote-Polyurethane-Varnish-Spray-Satin-400ml-9254114

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 10:19:25 pm »

Dicky D uses Plastikote successfully I think but if you use any spray then use it on a test piece first as the solvent in many of these 'acrylic' sprays is not always compatible with the acrylic paint you may have already applied! Ronseal Polyurethane has the benefit that it is pretty much inert over almost any properly dried surface.

Varnish over paint is always a bit of a minefield unfortunately and there are dozens of posts on Mayhem that chronocle the problems!

Colin

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 10:50:34 pm »

Just to clarify my original post I was querying what type of varnish would accept a coat of Acrylic paint on top of it. Looks like polyurethane might be OK, but it is as rare as hens teeth here in Austria. Incidentally I have been trying to source some lead sheet to make a laminated keel bulb, that is VERBOTEN too.javascript:void(0);

Terry

bobk

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 11:01:49 pm »

Sorry Terry, I diverted your thread.  I would imagine a varnish that will go over acrylic without reacting would be OK in reverse, but I am no expert !   As for lead sheet, I visited my local scrap metal dealer, explained what I wanted it for, and they kindly let me have 2ft square of used roofing lead at a very nominal cost.  Worth trying.

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 12:17:44 am »

Don't worry about diverting my thread Bob. That is how we sometimes learn new tips and tricksjavascript:void(0);

CJ

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 02:19:58 pm »

The Ronseal Polyurethane interior varnish as recommended by Colin has been successful with all my acrylic and enamel work ! :}

CJ

murphy1570

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 12:58:04 am »

Hello folks

I note that most replies suggest using Ronseal interior varnish excuse my ignorance but must it say "Waterproof" on the tin, I recently bought a tin of ronseal exterior polyurethane varnish which as Colin says certainly has a yellow tint as I found out to my cost, I ended up with a white funnel with a distinct yellow tinge!!, wish I had read the post first. If anyone can please clarify my query re the ronseal interior varnish I would be grateful.
Thanks all the best,John.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 01:05:47 am »

The Ronseal interior is fine to use and is waterproof enough for model boat use.

If you left your boat in the water continuously then you would need the exterior Ronseal.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 09:25:19 am »

If you left your boat in the water continuously then you would need the exterior Ronseal.

That's not my understanding Richard, the formulation is supposed to be the same except for the added UV filters in the exterior variety. Have you any specific reason to believe otherwise?

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.