Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life and death situation  (Read 3133 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Life and death situation
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:06:25 pm »

Just looking at the frightening news over the weekend of the foundering of the Costa Concordia...

How many Mayhemers have found themselves in a life or death situation and have had to make some sort of "choice"?

Now it maybe you have survived a sinking, been under fire, (many veterans on Mayhem), medical procedure / emergency, car accident, victim of a crime... whatever, I for one would be interested to hear your thoughts and feelings, at the time.... and on reflection, how you feel about it now - especially if it changed your life.

Post your stories here .....[color]
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Patternmaker

Re: Life and death situation
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 04:23:50 pm »

I have been in a life or death situation during the 1953 floods on Canvey Island, I managed to save 11 people, I rescued a family off 4  from a roof of a submerged bungalow, I heard their cries for help and managed to prize off a corrugated iron sheet from the roof, I told the father to pass out the children first to my dingy but he decided to jump in first nearly capsizing my dingy he fell in in water I had to make a very difficult decision whether to jump
in and try to save him, I knew that had I have done so I probably would not have survived because the air temperature was below freezing.
I decided not to and rescued  his Wife and  two children, he was swept away and drowned, most people that were rescued that had been in the water did not survive and died of hypothermia. 4 of the 11 I rescued did not survive.
58 Canvey people died on that night.

It does change you because the sights and sounds will always be with me.

My story of the floods.

http://canveyisland.org/page_id__319_path__0p2p19p.aspx

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 05:36:12 pm »

My life or death situations were nothing heroic they were medical caused by the fact I have COPD [emphysema].

I have been taken to hospital several times by ambulance using blues and twos.

Apart from the time I  managed to get pneumonia as well my hospital visits have been caused by a build up carbon dioxide in the respiratory system with starts the vital organs shutting down.

On two of my hospital visits I have died in the resuscitation room, but fortunately the doctors managed to bring me back.

Unfortunately I did not see any bright lights or tunnels.

Having had this happen, all with no warning, and knowing it could happen again at anytime and will do, has made a difference.

I find that a lot of what I do is based on makijng sure my family is OK after I am gone.
For example I now have no decorating to be done on the exterior of my house as all the woodwork has been changed to PVC.
I have made sure I am well insured.
I labelled all my boats with whats in them to help my wife sell them when I've gone [ She will probably advertise them on here with Martins permission]
Loads more other things as well.

Knowing I could go sooner rather than later and  having spent a lot of time with similar people in hospital I tend to be very very anti smoking as I know that had I not smoked I could possibly be looking forward to another twenty years, rather than knowing I could go tomorrow. So if you smoke I will have a go at you because I would not wish COPD
on anyone.

I tend to not to suffer fools gladly and to have strong opinions because I'd hate anyone making the same mistakes as me.

Dying does not worry me any more, its the family and friends I leave behind that bother me now.

I am sure there are many other ways my experience has affected me but I dont want to bore you to death.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:44:26 pm »

Dickie. I wish you well, but im a little worried adout you saying that your well insured. Sadly insurance companies like to weazel out of claims. Im sure that you have disclosed any problems to them that you had when insuring yourself. Like the rest of the lads long may you post. John. 

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 06:04:10 pm »

Dickie. I wish you well, but im a little worried adout you saying that your well insured. Sadly insurance companies like to weazel out of claims. Im sure that you have disclosed any problems to them that you had when insuring yourself. Like the rest of the lads long may you post. John. 
All Kosher thanks John, know what they are like had dealings with them before.

I had someones giant rocket stick go through the roof of my conservatory on Nov 5th and they would not pay out because they recon'd it was down to wear and tear. >>:-( >>:-(

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 06:16:23 pm »

Thanks Dickie. Thought you would have it sorted.John.

Patternmaker

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 06:38:26 pm »

I wish you well Dicky, having gone through what you have it must change your outlook on life.
I fortunately have reasonable health, something that money can't buy.

Mick

nhp651

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:20:10 pm »

I wish you well Dicky, having gone through what you have it must change your outlook on life.
I fortunately have reasonable health, something that money can't buy.

Mick
Mick..your story has left me in tears....it must be awfull to live with that even though you saved so many, you still have on your mind the thoughts of the sad loss of the father.
I know that many times, you will have been told that you did the right thing by staying put and rescuing those that you did, and you have by now made up your own mind that you also did the right thing, bus I have to say, being a coward in this situation I would hate to have to be put into a similar situation myself.
God bless you, and hope that you can find peace in your own mind.....and well done to you for that brave act many u=years ago......I admire you for your courage.
neil.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:30:35 pm »

I have been in one particular situation on board a ship.
I was on watch in the Machinery Control Room when a fuel fire started on the main engine.
One strange thing is how each individual will react in such a situation.
The trained Fire Party completely "lost it" and couldn't remember how to isolate the fuel on the engine.
This was an Engine Room Rating who had done it lots of times.
Myself and a trusted friend to assist me put on the firefighting gear and entered the smoke and flame filled Engine Room.
I have to say that during this time there was no fear or great anxiety as we concentrated on the task in hand, putting out the fire.
This Engine Room had over 11 foam extinguishers and I did know the locations well as I serviced them.
On emptying extinguisher no 10 the fire was out and time to get out of the compartment.
This is when the nerves really kicked in and I could hardly climb the ladder up to the Machinery Control Room.
When in the safety of the Machinery Control Room I checked the air left in my tank.
It is supposed to last 18 minutes plus but was almost empty after 10!!
I had the bottle changed and stayed in the Machinery Control Room to monitor the situation.
After we were sure the fire was out the Engine Room exhaust fans were started and the smoke cleared.
At this point we went on deck to get some fresh air just as the local lifeboat came alongside.
I was never so pleased to see them as then.
My reward for this action.
When I told my wife all the circumstances she gave me a real right hander to the jaw and told no to be "so bl**dy stupid next time, you have a wife and family at home"

As an aside to this, my friend who never left my back in the engine room was killed on the foredeck of a more modern Mooring Ship about 2-3 yrs later.
Rest easy Phil, calm waters and a safe haven.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Patternmaker

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 10:17:27 pm »

Neil, thanks for your words of comfort, but I still cannot come to terms with the decision I made although it was 59 years ago, any catastrophe involving floods brings it all back to me, I still hear the screams for help.

I served in the Suez war with 2 Para in 1956 although witnessing some horrific sights and losing 3 good mates it was a totally different situation it was kill or be killed.

Mick

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:02:31 am »

Hi, just picked on this.  I was involved in an incident on the M4 going west.  I travel at modest speeds in my CRV and pulled into fast lane to overtake a flatbed artic doing 60 or so.
I was just behind him in overtaking lane about 30 feet back ready to drive past when an 8' x 4' sheet of board literally flew off his trailer into the air right in front of me.
I yelled to my wife to duck!  Which she did.  The board was flying in front of me at eye level, I slowed down a little then it dipped, went up and then dipped again and then I went full throttle and drove over it.
It could have taken the top off my car and after that, who knows?.

At the time I went very cold and seemed to have lots of time and just got on with it, I could not slow and get behind as another motorist was already there.
We tried to attract the attention of the artic driver as he had other boards not strapped down on the trailer, but just gave up as he was just not looking.
I can still see the whole incident in my mind but it could only have lasted 5 - 10 seconds.

a happy survivor
Roy

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 02:20:21 pm »

Bob's comment "One strange thing is how each individual will react in such a situation." rang a bell with me. I am a land-lubber but was involved in a solvent fire at work. While the department was being evacuated, one young lady headed back in to retrieve a pair of shoes and the loaf of bread she had bought lunchtime!

Half a dozen or so CO2 extinguishers failed to defeat the fire, so we were left with a water hose-reel. I had once been on a school trip to Chatham dockyard and seen a dramatic demonstration of what happens when water is poured into burning oil but there was no alternative. I must say it is disconcerting to see flames coming towards you across the floor! Fortunately the water won the day and the fire was out by the time the fire brigade arrived. A posse came down the corridor, headed by the officer in charge. He stopped short of the area in question and I was amused to note that he sent the most junior chap in to assess the situation - who hastily returned saying that there were "cylinders in there and they ain't half hot". He promptly got sent back in, being told to cool them down!

The best lesson I learned that day was the importance of keeping as low down as possible.

Mike

wbeedie

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 09:05:31 pm »

Was on a trawler that foundered in 2002 with the loss of one , had to make the choice of going into the water without a lifejacket as the ne I had never inflated , only one out of five did and the crewman that was lost also was wearing a faulty life jacket ,still get the nightmares but the heroism was due to the CG chopper crew who carried onwinching us up after bingo time we landed on fumes they reckoned another minute in the air and we would have been in the water a second time , this time we would have been starkers as we were forced to get out of our clothing and wrapped in blankets and heat pads due to hypothermia ,
Every 10th April and Ten o clock my thoughts still drift to my crew mate Boguslaw who is forever homeward bound , thankfully his body was recovered a year to the day later and his family were able to recieve closure, the thing that got to me was all the headlines of Beckham breaking his metatarsel the night we found ourselves in the water and found a new view to life

Patrick Henry

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 07:41:46 am »

Same as Dicky, I've been turned away  from the big set of gates at the top of the stairway to heaven...twice. Once when I almost drowned when being taught to swim (failed there) and the second time was after a major heart attack. I died once on the way to the hospital in the ambulance and once again in the hospital, but thanks to the dedication of the medical staff I was brought back to life.

I saw no bright lights, neither did I hear angels singing...I distinctly remember feeling icy cold and seeing nothing but pitch blackness though, then all of a sudden I was back in the land of the living. That feeling of being in the dark and being so cold has remained with me to this day.  Oh, and one more thing...when I was taken to hospital I had dark brown hair. When I came round in the ward I had white hair...and it's still white.

Rich

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 08:40:36 am »

One member of the Forum was on HMS Sheffield when she was sunk in the Falklands by a Argy Exocet missile.
He is seen here fire fighting. It was apparently so hot his clothes were melting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.