Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lipo batteries and Yachts  (Read 4547 times)

lulu510

Lipo batteries and Yachts
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:42:30 pm »

Hi I am a newbie to RC yachts moving from Helicopters and fixed wing planes where I have been using Li-po bateries. I am just about to build a  Thunder Tiger Victoria and was wondering if I could use a 2s lipo (7.4V) instead of the Nicad that are recommended. I believe it will give longer sailing times. Any advice apreciated.
Lulu510

CF-FZG

Re: Lipo batteries and Yachts
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:09:09 pm »

Yes, there's no problem as long as you use a regulator to reduce the voltage to between 5 and 6 volts :-))

Mark.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:33:08 pm »

I'd fit some sort of flashing or buzzing gizmo to alert me if the cells were getting too low.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:39:29 pm »

Battery capacity is what dictates running time. This is measured in milliamps. If your sailing a Yacht then current drain will be low. As the motor is power hungry. which of course youve not got.  As youre familiar with lipos then use them. If they are out a plane then im not sure what size they may be. Im sure someone else can advise you better on this.John. 

Tombsy

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:40:37 pm »

You could try a LiFe pack (A123) , no voltage limiter needed and they last and last, I've switched all my nitro boats from lipo to LiFe.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:01:24 pm »

A 5 stick NiMH hump pack 2600 mAh lasts over three hours in my Victoria
No problem charging them and not likely to run them to destruction.
Why bother with LiPo's?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Tombsy

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:37:05 pm »

For me, the LiFe cells are lighter, the voltage stays stable even under heavy loads vs the nimh's fairly linear drop off, you can charge the LiFe faster, and they hold their charge for months not days like nimh.

Kangaroo1

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:53:02 pm »

Like Ned, I too have NIMH's fitted in my Victoria, albeit only a 4 pack, and these are perfectly adequate for me.

CF-FZG

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 10:56:03 pm »

Guys, all he asked was if he could use his (existing) 2S LiPo packs in his yacht.

Can we just answer his question without getting into a (potentially) argumentative discussion over whose batteries are best >:-o

Mark.

lulu510

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:09:54 pm »

Many thanks folks. :-) having weighed an 850 2s lipo and a 6v BEC  against 4AA batteries without a holder it is half the weight so I think I will stick with the Lipos. Once again thanks
Lulu510

Tombsy

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 12:31:56 am »

I just came across these at Overlander, a hybrid nimh that holds its charge for a year?
http://www.overlander.co.uk/hybrid-rechargeable-battery-2100mah-4-8v-flat-rx-enerpro.html
Anyone familiar with them?

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 04:38:16 pm »

Just a thought - what ever the source of power - 6 volts would be worth considertation. Generally, servos are rated at both 4.8 volts and 6 volts. The servo is able to achieve it's full potential or maximum torque rating with the 6 volts power source.  In a smaller boat like a Victoria, it might not be as critical as in a larger boat carrying more sail area.

I run 6 volts in all my boats for that reason. I like having the power there when I need it. When selecting sail servos, while I don't disregard the 4.8 volt rating, I am more interested in the 6 volt rating. Using rechargeables is certainly the more "green" way to go, but honestly using four 1.5 volt AA batteries I can operate a 1 Meter yacht for hours upon hours with no issues.

It is really a personal choice - but 6 volts is my choice. :-))
Windchaser

Tombsy

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 06:00:08 pm »

There seem to be more high powered servo's coming out that you could use without a regulator with lipos or LiFe.
I just got a few of the new waterproof Hitecs to try and they are rated for 6 and 7.4 volts.

sunworksco

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 08:02:37 am »

I'm using servos that can handle up to 9 volts and a custom built Probar style geared winch arm system that can handle up to 12 volts.
Lipos are a good choice. I use lipos and LiFe batteries with excellent results.
Kind regards,
Giovanni
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.