Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighthouse Supply Vessel Polestar  (Read 12243 times)

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
Lighthouse Supply Vessel Polestar
« on: January 17, 2012, 10:54:43 pm »

Well in response to the thread 'Lachie's dilemma' http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=34436.0 I can report that the  Lighthouse Supply Vessel Polestar won. The huge hideously complicated crane was too much of a challenge to be ignored.

As usual Lachie is off the starting blocks like a bullet and has made impressive progress in a matter of weeks.

Some details of the full size at http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=467

Andy

He has decided on working bow thrusters and has installed a windscreen washer pump. The propellers will be dummies.

Propulsion on the full size is by azimuth drive units and this shot shows the  housings in place in the hull.

The azimuth units as purchased, Graupner I think, had plastic propellers which he doesn't like so he had metal ones made.

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lighthouse Supply Vessel Polestar
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:12:35 am »

Hello

Very good choice of model and nice work  :-))

What's her scale ? around 1/50 ?

Xtian

tugs46

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 03:45:20 am »

Looking good Andy :-)) :-))

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:04:19 am »

What's her scale ? around 1/50 ?

Xtian

Think you have estimated correctly at 1:50 but I will check with Lachie.

Andy

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 09:29:33 pm »

Some pictures of Lachie's progress on the Polestar. Can confirm that model is 1:50 scale.

The motors in place and connected to the azimuth gearing. Lachie wraps his motors in string before epoxying them in position. If removal is needed he just cuts the string.

The drive units are removable as he feels that they are too vulnerable during transportation.

The motors JUST protrude through the deck so Lachie has made up two packing crates to lie either side of the winch to cover the apertures.

An example of Lachie's extensive photo reference library. He photographed many ships under construction at Fergusons and has an impressive collection of material on the Polestar.

Some pictures of progress on the superstructure with the crane loosely in place.

Andy

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:05:28 am »

Good looking ship!!
I see you indeed used Graupner azimuths.
I used 2 of those on Well Enhancer, and they're great, even with the original plastic props I got 500grams pulling power, whilst my tugboat only did 240grams with a drive-train designed to give power.
Towing power will be pretty good, even with 240grams I was able to tow a 4m long inflatable canoe with 2 children in it without loosing all too much speed.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 03:02:28 pm »

Really nice Andy - I'll stay tuned for more.

Dave

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 12:06:54 am »

Really nice Andy - I'll stay tuned for more.

Dave

Can't take credit as the model is being built by my friend Lachie Stewart, a prolific builder of model ships. I'll pass on the positive feedback from yourself and others.

I don't think that it will be long till the maiden voyage.

Andy

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:45:12 am »

Hey Andy - you have to take the credit for having and keeping a really good mate.

The fact Lachie is an obsessive builder is just a bonus - actually it's a great big bonus  {-)  :-))

Norseman

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 12:58:44 pm »

Some pictures of Lachie's progress on the Polestar. Lots of detail work put in, not apparent from the drawings but visible in his many detailed closeup shots of the actual full size vessel. One interesting shot of how he moulds small details.

The picture below shows small items in plastic container ready for pouring of mould rubber. The actual finished mould was down in the garage so I didn't get a picture but an example of the finished product from the mould can be seen.

Andy

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 10:44:18 pm »

This a great model build and will be a beautiful model once finished.

I assume it is a build from scratch.
Did you make the GRF hull from a mould yourself?

Something puzzles me.
On one of the photos the two drive electric motors were visible before they had disappeared under hatch covers on the remaining photos.
On this photo it looks to me as if there were cords wound around the nacelles of the motors.
It doesn't look to me like a cooling tube but like a cord indeed?
Is this correct?
What purpose does this fulfil?

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 10:39:05 pm »

I assume it is a build from scratch.
Did you make the GRF hull from a mould yourself?

Something puzzles me.
On one of the photos the two drive electric motors were visible before they had disappeared under hatch covers on the remaining photos.
On this photo it looks to me as if there were cords wound around the nacelles of the motors.
Is this correct?

Apologies for delay in replying but I had to re-register and can't automatically pick up replies to my previous posts. Thank you for the kind comments and I will pass them on to my friend Lachie Stewart who is building the model. Lachie 'doesn't do' computers so I tend to publicise his modelling activities.

Lachie produced the hull from a mould made by Paul Boyle who built a professional model of the vessel for the builders Ferguson of Port Glasgow.

The material around the motors is indeed cord. Lachie wraps his motors in string them epoxies them in place. Should he need to remove a motor he merely cuts the cord and the motor comes free.

Regards

Andy

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 06:34:17 pm »

The material around the motors is indeed cord. Lachie wraps his motors in string them epoxies them in place. Should he need to remove a motor he merely cuts the cord and the motor comes free.

Cool, that's really smart. :-))

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 12:36:48 pm »

After a lull Lachie is working full steam ahead on his Polestar. Lots of work done on the railings. He is scratch building all the stanchions from thin metal recycled from old windscreen wiper blades.

Latest photographs by the man himself.

Andy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 12:46:58 pm »

Something puzzles me.

Is this correct?

I think the motors are now hidden under the the deck crates.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 12:47:20 pm »

Hi Andy,

GREAT looking model.

1. What is the string around the motors for?
2. Please can you give more details of your railings... I'm rubbish at railings!

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 12:51:21 pm »

Martin.

1 Go back to post #4

2 When doing rails, use Silver Solder (Paste), Saves tears chasing soft soldered joints later.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 02:46:24 pm »

Looking forward to the lake photos - can't be too long now. :}

Dave

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 04:18:19 pm »

That`ll be LOCH photos Dave. :}
..well can you land on this?

Stavros

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 06:05:22 pm »

Hi Andy,

GREAT looking model.

2. Please can you give more details of your railings... I'm rubbish at railings!

Martin

Martin SSSHHHHHHHH But it does say in the text that the motors are wrapped in string and then epoxied so if they need to be changed all you do is simply cut the string to get them out .....I wont tell everyone if you dont :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Top tip ref railings is to get hte stancheios inplace first then CHEAT go out and buy some plasitc rod this is available in various thickness down to about .5 of a mm it bends around the corners so easily,just use a hot air gun to do so ;) ;)

Dave

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 07:16:49 pm »

That`ll be LOCH photos Dave. :}

I stand corrected Duncan ..... though it might just be the Y fronts  {-)

Dave

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 12:24:18 pm »

Hi Andy,

GREAT looking model.

Martin

Martin

The string certainly has evoked a lot of interest.  ;) Full marks to Stavros, the string makes for easy removal.  :-))

Lachie uses stainless steel wire for his railings. The stanchions on this boat are made from strip metal from recycled windscreen wiper blades. He has a small spot welding machine which he uses to tack the railings and stanchions together in a jig. They are then soldered I believe for extra strength.

He steadfastly refuses to use a computer I'm afraid,  hence the second hand answers.

Norseman is correct........we do actually sail on Loch Lomond at Balloch with the Maid of the Loch for a backdrop. Conditions CAN be interesting as evidenced by the video of Lachie's HMS Repulse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h56qZhYZkOc

The hull has been float tested at Glasgow Richmond Park Club and I have some video but unfortunately in HD which I can't currently process. Hope to have a new computer soon and will post as soon as current steam machine is replaced.

Andy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 01:17:34 pm »

Martin SSSHHHHHHHH But it does say in the text that the motors are wrapped in string and then epoxied so if they need to be changed all you do is simply cut the string to get them out .....I wont tell everyone if you don't!
Dave

Ah it was the strange  'north of Watford' expression that fooled me!

" Lachie wraps his motors in string before epoxying them in position. If removal is needed he just cuts the string."

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 10:39:15 pm »

Now have a new laptop capable of editing HD video. A short clip of the Polestar on her first trials earlier this year. As can be seen from photographs above the model is at a far more advanced stage than shown by the video. The azimuth drive units are very noisy and seem to take a bit of getting used to. Performance isn't supersonic but personally I don't like to see scale models travelling too fast. Hopefully photos and video when Lachie sails it in all it's finished glory.

Andy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkLDhAztltI

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 09:58:56 pm »

Out with Lachie a few days ago to sail the Pole Star on Loch Lomond with tug in attendance just in case.

Model is nearly finished, incredible amount of detail in my opinion, with buoys( under construction ) and crew still to be added.

Joined by some canoeists practicing rescue techniques and also by the local seaplane. The canoeists were welcome, it was absolutely Baltic.

Troublesome breeze which the model handled reasonably well but probaly a fair weather vessel. The drive units are still very noisy and I suspect may put Lachie off sailing the model very often. This would be a pity as it really is a cracker.

Andy

Video at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4crEswCEqw

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.