Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Flag pole on residential property  (Read 8945 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Flag pole on residential property
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:21:16 pm »

Many people are probably aware that our cousins across the pond proudly fly the Stars & Stripes from their home. In the UK, we dont tend to do this for some reason (why!?).

I've long had the urge to fly the Union Flag or St George's Flag from a flag pole at home but have been put off as I thought a free standing flag pole needed planning permission. In my area, I've seen a couple of people who regularly fly the flag. So, I've done a little bit of digging and found this relevant to the UK:

Planning permission
• Under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, flags come within the definition of "advertisement". Their display is controlled by the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 1992.
• However, under Schedule 2 of the Regulations, the national flag of any country, and this includes the Union flag, is exempt from advertisement control provided each flag is flown from a single vertical flagpole and neither the flag nor the flagpole display any advertisement additional to the design of the flag.

The above seems to suggest that you dont need PP for a flagpole to fly the Union Flag or national flag of any country come to that! Id guess a caveat may be that you live in a conservation area or in a listed building you may need permission.

I've fired off an enquiry to my local council quoting the above about planning permission exemption. Naturally, there is nothing on my local council's website about this.

Has anyone erected a flagpole on their property if so, did your council insist on planning permission? Have you had any issues with a local council even if you brought the above to their attention?

I'd envisage a flagpole no higher than 6 metres

The long Build

Re: Flag pole on residential property
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 11:31:26 pm »

Don't put up a Pirates Flag however as that Apparently is classed as advertising..Re a case in the papers a few years back..

Is not a Flag pole not deemed a non permanent object therefor does not need PM. ?.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 11:39:49 pm »

Don't put up a Pirates Flag however as that Apparently is classed as advertising..Re a case in the papers a few years back..

Is not a Flag pole not deemed a non permanent object therefor does not need PM. ?.

Yes, the skull & cross bones isnt a national flag. Neither is the St georges flag with 'ENGLAND' written on it.

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:02:13 am »

There is another solution

Here in France you can fly a French flag on flag pole in your garden but that means for most people that you are like a political extremist and/or chauvinistic. Time and mind change ...  Some in Brittany, Basque country and Corsica have regional flag flying, then for your neigbor you just look like a terrorist.

What a pity for me as I like the Gwenn Ha Du, the Brittany flag.  Anyway most of private boats here in Brittany are flying this Gwenn Ha Du, it's the case of my 5 meters "teuf teuf boat" and also the case of all my model boats as courtesy flag for foreign ones and as national flag for the french  :} That means my UK flag supply ship model is also flying the Gwenn Ha Du as courtesy flag  :D

Xtian  

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 12:20:20 am »

There is another solution

Here in France you can fly a French flag on flag pole in your garden but that means for most people that you are like a political extremist and/or chauvinistic. Time and mind change ...  Some in Brittany, Basque country and Corsica have regional flag flying, then for your neigbor you just look like a terrorist.

What a pity for me as I like the Gwenn Ha Du, the Brittany flag.  Anyway most of private boats here in Brittany are flying this Gwenn Ha Du, it's the case of my 5 meters "teuf teuf boat" and also the case of all my model boats as courtesy flag for foreign ones and as national flag for the french  :} That means my UK flag supply ship model is also flying the Gwenn Ha Du as courtesy flag  :D

Xtian  

LOL. Painting the whole house is a bit extreme.

Not bothered what the neighbours may think. One of them dumps there cars right in the middle of the cul de sac where I live with utter contempt for others.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 06:36:46 am »

very interresting :-))  - thanks Dicky 

Nige52

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:23:11 am »

I too admire the Americans for their loyalty to their country in flying their flag, but I have to be honest, here in England a lot of people see the St.Georges flag flying from chimney pots and poles and associate the occupants with football hooligans..... {:-{

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 08:52:49 am »

Certain ranks of the forces are entitled to a flag pole and to fly
The flag pennant of their rank at their home even after they have retired

Trooper63

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:01:42 am »

Here. In Brisbane, Australia I have a flag pole from an old dinghy mast.  I love raising the Australian Flag in the morning.  And without that union jack it just wouldn't be the same.  Must have something to do with my ancestors being kicked out of US and into Canada.  UEL all the way.

barryfoote

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 09:33:05 am »

My brother has a pole and flag of St George in his garden and he lives in a rather nice suburban area of Lancashire. No planning permission was needed for him..

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 10:44:51 am »

Apparently whether  you need planning permission for a flagpole varies from local authority to local authority.

Under Schedule 1 Class H of the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) (England) Regulations 2007, national flags, the flags of the Commonwealth, European Union, the United Nations, English counties and certain saints can be flown without the express consent of local authorities as long as they satisfy the standard conditions for the display of advertisements generally and the conditions and limitations set out within Class H itself.

http://www.flaginstitute.org/index.php?location=14#index16

Patrick Henry

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 10:59:26 am »

Years ago, on the late Bernie Wood's birthday, himself and his good lady wife Anita were down at our house for some reason, I can't remember exactly what.

I decided, for reasons unknown to me even now, to fly my Kriegsmarine battle ensign to welcome him as he arrived in his Reliant wee threeler. The flag was mounted on a short scaffold pole just cable tied to 'er indoors's rose archway which stood at the top end of our pathway down to our back door.

I thought it looked magnificent fluttering in the breeze...unfortunately, my neighbour didn't. It flew for fifteen minutes before said neighbour called the plod, who informed me that "it would be in everybody's best interests if you removed it, sir...."

Rich

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 11:07:04 am »

Years ago, on the late Bernie Wood's birthday, himself and his good lady wife Anita were down at our house for some reason, I can't remember exactly what.

I decided, for reasons unknown to me even now, to fly my Kriegsmarine battle ensign to welcome him as he arrived in his Reliant wee threeler. The flag was mounted on a short scaffold pole just cable tied to 'er indoors's rose archway which stood at the top end of our pathway down to our back door.

I thought it looked magnificent fluttering in the breeze...unfortunately, my neighbour didn't. It flew for fifteen minutes before said neighbour called the plod, who informed me that "it would be in everybody's best interests if you removed it, sir...."

Rich

Yes but as DD and I have pointed out, the battle ensign isnt a national flag and would be seen as advertising. Im still awaiting a response from my local council (only sent it late last night so dont expect anything for a week to 10 days). I expect them to come back and say 'No!'

SWMBO isnt keen either but I think it would be great fun!

PS, I should make clear (if I havent) that by 'on residential property' I mean in the curtilage(?) of my property.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 11:09:12 am »

Dare I ask...but what would the battle ensign be advertising?

Rich

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 11:20:34 am »

Dare I ask...but what would the battle ensign be advertising?

Rich

Rich, it would be classed as 'advertising' since it is not a national flag within the terms of the Town & Country planning legislation. In addition to the info DD has provided, it should also be noted the flagpole should not have anything attached to it ie manufacturers mark, as this would also be classed as advertising!

Patrick Henry

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:17 am »

Good grief...so I'd best not wear my fleece with the "Johnston Sweepers" logo emblazoned across it then!

Point taken though, chap, although I'm pretty sure that my neighbours weren't complaining about me advertising anything when they called the local police...    :police:

Rich

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 11:55:29 am »

Good grief...so I'd best not wear my fleece with the "Johnston Sweepers" logo emblazoned across it then!

Point taken though, chap, although I'm pretty sure that my neighbours weren't complaining about me advertising anything when they called the local police...    :police:

Rich

Obviously not but nevertheless, if you had been flying the german imperial flag or other national flag, you could have correctly pointed out to plod you were within the planning laws.

I know you jest about your fleece but that doesnt come under the flagpole and flags planning.

ACTion

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 11:59:46 am »

Be very careful. A couple locally decided to fly the Union Flag from a pole in their garden and another local resident caused a hell of a stink in the press and on local TV by objecting to it as a racist symbol (he is Afro-Caribbean). Others objected to it being flown all year round for various reasons. See what Little England is up to here http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Meeting-try-resolve-flag-row/story-13797434-detail/story.html
Bless 'em all......................  ;D
DM

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 12:01:21 pm »

Obviously not but nevertheless, if you had been flying the german imperial flag or other national flag, you could have correctly pointed out to plod you were within the planning laws.

I know you jest about your fleece but that doesnt come under the flagpole and flags planning.
Unless you are wearing it of course.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 12:14:42 pm »

Be very careful. A couple locally decided to fly the Union Flag from a pole in their garden and another local resident caused a hell of a stink in the press and on local TV by objecting to it as a racist symbol (he is Afro-Caribbean). Others objected to it being flown all year round for various reasons. See what Little England is up to here http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Meeting-try-resolve-flag-row/story-13797434-detail/story.html
Bless 'em all......................  ;D
DM

So long as its on my property and complies with the planning laws ie national flag, no advertising, I dont see how any neighbourly 'complaints' can hold up. I do realise there are some people about who would complain though.

nhp651

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 12:30:26 pm »

You go for it, Botonic.wyre borough are in enough mess over the peir and the planning permission row with simmo to bother with a small jobbie like that.....and you can claim if they get snorty about it, that there is a chap on Fleetwood road near to Broadwater that regularly flies, the Salteir, welsh dragon, st george AND the union flag at different times of the year from his garage gable end.......the only one I haven't seen flying there is an Irish tricolour...thus setting preference..................sod the neighbours......if they don't like it, get a bigger flag and tell them to sod off.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 12:39:18 pm »

You go for it, Botonic.wyre borough are in enough mess over the peir and the planning permission row with simmo to bother with a small jobbie like that.....and you can claim if they get snorty about it, that there is a chap on Fleetwood road near to Broadwater that regularly flies, the Salteir, welsh dragon, st george AND the union flag at different times of the year from his garage gable end.......the only one I haven't seen flying there is an Irish tricolour...thus setting preference..................sod the neighbours......if they don't like it, get a bigger flag and tell them to sod off.

Yes, there's a house on Fleetwood Road South near the Norcross roundabout who flies the flag daily from his 5 or 6 metre flagpole.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 05:13:02 pm »

Local council (nice prompt response :-))) say no planning permission need so long as no advertising, not on listed building or conservation area  O0

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 07:18:11 pm »

Does that mean you can fly the Royal Standard then?  :-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.