Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zenoah question......  (Read 3513 times)

cuppa

Zenoah question......
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:35:45 am »

Rembered the other day that I have an areomarine challenger with zenoah engine in my parent's loft. It is about 16 years and has never been run.

I may take the zenoah out of the challenger and 'electrify' the hull. I was thinking about selling or swapping the zenoah in a few months time but have no idea at all what a 16 year old unrun zenoah with manifold and mounts would be worth these days (If it worth anything).

Any comments appreciated.

gwa84

Re: Zenoah question......
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:58:30 pm »

it all depends on the cc the 23 isent worth nearly as much as the 26 nad is it a marinised motor or has it been converted from air cooled

cuppa

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:12:04 pm »

I think it is a 23cc and it is the factory marine version not a conversion.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:24:42 pm »

I'd suspect it would be the 23cc version too.

If it hasnt been run in 16 years, a lot would depend on whether there's any pack oil in it and if the bearings are still good. TBH, as a buyer I'd be very cautious of buying such an engine. It may be worthwhile spending £20 - £40 to have it serviced so you could give a buyer the confidence its ok and in running order?

However, if you are convinced it is in good condition internally, I think you should be able to get £125 - £150. New Z23cc engines retail for around the £235 mark but, I suspect they'll have modern electronics rather than points as maybe fitted to yours?

cuppa

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 08:04:36 am »

I'd suspect it would be the 23cc version too.

If it hasnt been run in 16 years, a lot would depend on whether there's any pack oil in it and if the bearings are still good. TBH, as a buyer I'd be very cautious of buying such an engine. It may be worthwhile spending £20 - £40 to have it serviced so you could give a buyer the confidence its ok and in running order?

A very good point Sir! The engine was put away in the exact state it arrived from the factory other than having mounts, manifold and coupling fitted and I did add to lay-up oil to keep things in order but that was 16 years ago!

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:37:12 am »

At 16 years old I would expect it will be a 2 port 23cc Zenoah, down on power compared to the later 23cc 4 port motors. A price comparison with the later 4 ports is therefore not a good idea.
After a run through and maybe a service if needed it will make someone a nice hobby motor.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:57:25 am »

I think at 16 yrs old wether run or not if alls well its probably worth £50-75 to be honest.

cuppa

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 12:01:00 pm »

I think at 16 yrs old wether run or not if alls well its probably worth £50-75 to be honest.

Yep - that was about what i was thinking.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 03:45:07 pm »

Its probably worth having a look or asking someone who knows about motors to strip it down and check things over,if alls well you wont find it hard to get a buyer and could well get a bit more for it.
Mart

cuppa

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:47:59 pm »

Managed to get the motor retrieved the from the loft today and was very pleasantly surprised by its condition:

It is indeed a 23 cc 2 port and is not quite as old as my memory was making me believe - the HT/plug lead has a datestamp of 1997 so the engine must be younger than that!

Here are some pics:

The mountings, water-cooled manifold, velocity stack, throttle linkage, coupling and header pipe were supplied by Jotika.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 10:17:48 pm »

The mountings, water-cooled manifold, velocity stack, throttle linkage, coupling and header pipe were supplied by Jotika.

Engine mount is Aeromarine, quite probably the other gear as well. No surprise as Jotika are an Aeromarine agent.

F1 madness

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 02:50:22 pm »

Iv now got this engine and is in immaculate condition,removed the plug and pored some 2stroke down it and leave it to stand for awhile
Thank cuppa :-))

cuppa

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 07:23:20 am »

Iv now got this engine and is in immaculate condition,removed the plug and pored some 2stroke down it and leave it to stand for awhile
Thank cuppa :-))

You are most welcome Sir. Thanks for such a smooth deal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.