Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cool our brushed motor in an easy way..  (Read 4204 times)

rathikrishna

cool our brushed motor in an easy way..
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:54:31 pm »

Friends..Colleagues..modellers..nowadays ECMs are getting inexpensive..and yes, powerful and maint: free, when compared to a Brushed motor..but the sheer power from an ECM never come with ease..it will eat a big ampereage, while running..but my experience shows, that the brushed motors are still good for displacement and heavy crafts, with ease, while eating very less current..so, runs for a long time..and is very easy to make an ESC, with reverse, if we are using a brushed motor..but one of the main problem is with any motor is over heating, especially when use a powerful motor..and usually we looks for some extra ordinary ideas to cool a motor..but here see a simplest possible idea to cool a brushed motor, may be in any size, and type..

yes, i know all you know, but still have some cool simple way..take a drinking straw, a thick one is preffered, or can take copper tube, will be difficult to work, or a body of a ball point pen, anything that feel apropriate, in to a desired length..

fill some fine sand, in to the tube, and heat it up with cigar lighter, and bend it to a l shape..copper or steel must be heated up with gas torch, or on a gas stove burner..

rathikrishna

Re: cool our brushed motor in an easy way..
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:57:01 pm »

still i preffer the thick straw, because it is very easy to work with..but still works perfectly..

drip out all sands..and cut the bend with a sharp blade in a slanting manner..

rathikrishna

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 02:58:47 pm »

this way of cutting gives us a big intake without flanging the tip..

rathikrishna

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:03:24 pm »

now make an apropriate hole on the bottom side of the hull, just in front, of the prop within arop arch..

insert the sliced tube in the hole, and make a second hole on a convenient place to the side of the hull..connect a silicon tube in between the intake and outlet tubes..
check the water flow, while placing the craft in water and motor at full..adjust the intake tube slightly with fingers untill the flow reaches the maximum level...

rathikrishna

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 03:07:35 pm »

now apply glue to the tube, without disturbing its position...

now take a copper tube, in to 5, or 6 according to motor size, can purchased from any A/C, Refrigeration spare dealers, or from a hardware store, costs 15 Rs for a feet..
it is very easy to wind the tube over motor...start to wind the tube around the motor, while keeping a tip in mind about the easiest position of inlet and outlet tubes..

rathikrishna

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 03:11:13 pm »

see here how easy to wind it..and please avoid much tight winding, instead leave a card paper thickness all around between coils, because we have to apply the heat sink compound later..

see the simple cooling device..is ready..

rathikrishna

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 03:13:21 pm »

fix it on the motor, and root the inlet and out let tubes..seal it with apropriate glues..

rathikrishna

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 03:16:46 pm »

apply the heat sink compound, can purchased from any electronic shops, as it is used to seal any gaps in integrated circuit chip installation...its cheap, and costs Rs 10 for a tube..

make sure the inlet tube still in correct position and dried well..

rathikrishna

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 03:22:05 pm »

now time for a recheck..make sure the flow is un interupted..and thick at full throttle...Friends..see how easy to make a motor cooler..and works perfectly..when compared to a permenant pump for cooling, here can save battery from the pump motor..and the flow will increase according to RPM..gives us a more realistic feel..and as motor RPM increases it also cooles down the BCM...cool....and using this even on my biggest ships...

yes see the test video here.. :-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vJASQyqrw8

rathikrishna

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 03:24:00 pm »

Friends..we can cool down anything with this simple idea..ESC..Cards..anything..works nicely..

ayrshire andy

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 07:12:24 pm »

Hi krishna!

Greetings from the UK, I am back online after a season working away from home, good to see your simple and ingenious solutions working and encouraging the builder on a limited budget to experiment and customise, these allied to the many excellent commercial products which are kindly made available to us lead to the greatest enjoyment of our pleasant hobby, whether old or young, rich or poor, experienced or otherwise...good show!

Andy 

rathikrishna

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 07:14:53 am »

Andy..a million thanks for the inspirations..when i started the model making seriously, here in my country, especially in my remote village, even today, its too hard to find anything for model making..and yes can get some, from bangalore, or Chennai, still costs a lots..i know, because of this, means heavy cost and un avilability, many of our respected modellers are still keeping distance from model making..i was using these systems far from my early stages, and it works well..a good brushed motor+a hand made ESC+hand made battery pack..is a good combination for a long time running..and so happy to know that my works inspired you all..have a lots of lovely crafts.. :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.