Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Annapolis, MD.  (Read 5302 times)

AMSA

Hello from Annapolis, MD.
« on: January 22, 2012, 06:57:27 pm »

I am a new guy, making my first post here. I worked on Army watercraft for 20 years, and was thrilled when I stumbled upon this sites pictures. I worked on this old equipment, and really enjoy the member's  work. Thanks for having me, I will upload some pics of my own later.

AMSA (83) Marine Maint.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Hello from Annapolis, MD.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:07:59 pm »

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:16:06 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 07:19:08 pm »

I will upload some pics of my own later

Hi Amsa and welcome - friendly bunch here. All pixel addicts though - can't get enough pictures.
............. Annapolis - time for a google I think. :}

Dave

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:14:49 pm »

USN training college I believe ?   Welcome , Army, brown water then ,some interesting vessels I`d guess?  Welcome...oh yes pictures, model , full-size we don't care.
..well can you land on this?

AMSA

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 06:42:31 pm »

Hello Mr. Martin,

I am a retired Marine Engineer from the U.S. Army; known as a dual status technician.

I am not much of a scratch built modeler, although I have fiddled around in this area. I once built a model tug for my nephew out of chunks of wood, glued and stacked upon themselves. I used old hardware to make the wheel, railings, masts, and radio gear. And of course painted in the windows and so fourth. I have a scratch built unfinished fishing boat, like the ones that work around the Island that I live on. The others are plastic kits painted with a proper paint scheme which I will attempt to upload.

I was attracted to this site by your Army tugboats, which I spent a career serving on the same designs built again in the 1950's for the Army. If I find time, I might be able to dig up the old NEWS article posted on the shipyard who received this post war contract. To the best of my ability; it appears as if the hull designs on the 100' & 65' TUGS are the same as when produced in WWII. The only difference that I can see, is that the grading on the back was done in wood during WWII; but then made out of steel in the 1950's.

The engineering (Maine propulsion) engines were Fairbanks, for the 100's I worked on; and the Atlas Imperial Engine, on the 65' Tugs. I personally enjoyed these old boats the most in my career I must admit. I will be posting some newer Army watercraft photos, if the administrators feel that's appropriate a little later..?

My first my plastic model using a pre-1995 Army paint scheme (military sea lift command). The Army then reverted back to the "Grey paint scheme" like in WWII.The reason for this I was told by my old Skipper, is that their was some confusion during the Granada invasion in identifying friend from foe; confusing the then only Navy paint scheme (grey) with the Army's black and white.

AMSA

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »

USN training college I believe ?   Welcome , Army, brown water then ,some interesting vessels I`d guess?  Welcome...oh yes pictures, model , full-size we don't care.

Yes you are correct in all the above: I did tell others about myself in another post, so I don't wish to be redundant but, I am a retired Army Marine Engineer. I saw the 100' and 65' tug models from WWII, and they looked identical to the actual craft I used to work on re-manufactured in the 1950's.
I really loved serving aboard those older vessels' they were then sold on the open market; and most were used to haul debris from the World trade center attack, to open water and dumped by the contractors, who purchased the vessels from the Army.

Below, I have posted some drawling's of this old equipment...

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 09:35:08 pm »

Hi Amsa

What's happening? Decided on a particular build or anything in general yet?
Just being nosey - don't mind me  :-)

Dave

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 11:45:49 pm »

Hey Amsa,

Welcome aboard.  The folks here are a great bunch, thought they type with a funny accent  ;)

I'm up the road from you a short way - in Pasadena.  I worked a tug out of Baltimore some 20 years ago and a few times we towed ACoE tugs from Curtis Creek to someplace in Jersey to be worked on.  They were clean and neat, well kept boats which I found funny as they were in better shape than the boat towing them (ours).

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 08:59:36 am »

welcome aboard  :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 09:15:33 am »

welcome aboard  :-))

Hes been on here since January, but appears to have left now.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 12:32:09 am »

Hes been on here since January, but appears to have left now.

Possibly lost in the great Mayhem Forum Meltdown of 2012
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.