Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: VS drive tug  (Read 21129 times)

catengineman

Re: VS drive tug
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 09:35:50 pm »

Hi hama,
Small world..
The company have purchased the *Nils Strömcrona* Atlantic Cougar for survey and support work on the wind farms around the coast
Hey, don't tell anyone I don't actually like the vessel ! it rolls on wet grass has an overcomplicated alarm / control / shutdown system though this may be because half the equipment it is trying to control is not there.

I could have done with you a few months ago when there was a need to translate the signage to English.
If you ever fancy a job?
poor pay silly hours daft clients but we have a lot of fun and get fed very well.

hama

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 10:13:47 am »

You had me at "...get fed very well"!! I'm coming over, designated translater! Joking aside, I'd be happy to try and help in the future if you need any translation.
All the best, have a nice watch!
Hama

catengineman

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 10:53:38 am »

Thanks I could photograph the words then post to you and Yippee The crew and I will then know what we are looking for or at or why.
The boss lies the ship and there is the problem, he thinks "we" should all learn a new language just to operate his toys.
There is a bit of a difference between normal and technical when it comes to using a translator (book or net based).

I may take you up on your offer.  :}

catengineman

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 06:53:43 pm »

Installed the anchor winch and tested it  <:(
out it has come and will now return to the drawing board (if I used one)
it lifts the anchor at the right speed, it will trip and the anchor will run out as expected, so whats wrong
Just too noisy and the chain will not fall and lay in the "box" like it does in Tito and with around nine or ten tries there was one where it came up out of the box like a bunch of B######s as they say on ships.
so now looking at a slight change here and there.

catengineman

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2012, 09:39:36 am »

As the anchor winch has "done my head in I have changed over to another project.
I have stripped down a servo and removed the lock lug and then cut off the top of the 'pot' then spent a few moments setting the dead band so I can then use this as a winch drive.
I have super glued the pot in the right place and tested the fwd rev of the motor several times before reassembly of the servo

catengineman

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2012, 08:11:51 pm »

Have done a few bits to the build
fitted the drive units and servos along with the anchor winch
forgot to take pictures of the anchor winch before putting the deck on (though had to put the deck on to test the winch (catch 22)
Made some of the accommodation up but still not sure on what it will finally look like, so many options !

catengineman

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2012, 07:35:19 pm »

Took some time out to have another little go at the VS Tug build (sorry no man as yet)
The stern winch is now working fine and so I covered over the drive gear then assembled the bridge but forgot to take pictures while the roof was off  <:(
Having the the fire monitors sticking out means I have to be a little careful what I do now as I don't want to break or damage them.
On the trials at the pond I found the ESC I was going to use great but then I lost all the drive? on a bench test the ESC is dead? there is no way the two motors could even come close to the rating on the ESC but it is dead except for the BEC part.
12 volts goes in = 0 volts come out
BEC gives of 5.2 volts. so I have glued it to the wall in my garage to remind me NOT to get Cheap Hong Kong esc's

catengineman

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2012, 07:40:09 pm »

One from the wheel house not very clear but hey ho

catengineman

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2012, 11:25:01 am »

Well being as the weather is JUST TOO BAD to take swmbo out I am permitted to spend some time in the workshop (garage / den / escape room) Fitted a new ESC (Mtroniks ) one I had laying around from an old boat so I just pray it is OK. All the bench testing has been good so one will only have to hope.
sorted out the channels on the decoder for the other controls like stern winch, anchor winch, fire monitors, water pump and various lighting switches.
manage to get some paint on the hull and bulwarks and then did a first coat of deck green (not too sure if I want grey now though)

Have yet to get on with the accommodation and decide what configuration I will go with.

R

catengineman

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2012, 11:48:47 pm »

Have to put the build and this log away
life is such that the time spent is required elsewhere

catengineman

« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2012, 09:19:14 pm »

Last entry before I return to the ship to earn more money to use on models

Have made the exhausts the way I want them and fitted the handrails where I wanted to put them (this is my idea and not based on any real vessel)

A quick daub of paint and I will get some fresh when I return from work.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2012, 10:56:44 am »

Looking good!  what's next?   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

catengineman

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2012, 07:19:29 pm »

Thank you Martin
I notice now that the header is now not grayed out (to me anyway)

next is off to work so all the building will be on hold for a few months now.
I will be fitting lights and probably a revolving radar then also have the opportunity to fit a smoke unit to the exhausts

I will try and sort out the paint job when I return (painting at scale is just not my bag) a full size ship and an airless spray gun system, now that's a different story

Thanks R

catengineman

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2012, 11:11:22 pm »

<:( I've had a long spell at sea on several of the companies ships but now have some long awaited rest so thought I would get the tug out from under the dust and spider webs and have a little refresher as to sea trials  {:-{

Err Umm well been such a long time since I even had the Transmitter out of its case I could not remember what model number the VS tug was programmed into it  <:(
Went up to the lake with expectations and a smile, first off broke a terminal on one of the 12v SLA's so had to use a spare. Then another club member said my transmitter was interfering with his vessel, I'm on 40Mhz FM hes on 40Mhz AM ? So shut all my system down and his vessel carried on doing what ever it felt like, so noting to do with me  %%
Tug in water ! all ready to go and forward o the sticks = tug going side ways back on the sticks and tug spins round like there's no tomorrow? now trying to get the tug back to the edge of the lake when the controls are not as one would have thought took a little bit of "out of the box" thinking.
After some time I did manage to reprogram my transmitter so that forward is forward and back is back etc and did manage to have an hour or so before the battery died too much to let me use both drives at full power.
I di have the camera but with all the problems I caused myself I did not have the energy to get it out and take any pictures. I will continue the build now that I am happy with the trim and control (lets hope I can get some done before returning to a ship) be whatever that one is called.... :D

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2012, 12:08:34 pm »

What an interesting day you had. I felt for you.

Please tell me more about the  'programming'  feature you have. I am assuming different set ups can be memorised by your transmitter depending on which receiver you use.

How many set ups choices do you have ?   I was thinking this type of device might be handy for my choice of crafts and wondering what sort of differences I might need between them. I would have thought that going forward and backwards would be the same controls but maybe geared slower or faster, depending on circumstances.

Perhaps you could help me.

Regards,

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

catengineman

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2012, 05:15:37 pm »

Hi,
I have a Futaba FX 18 transmitter with a multi module loaded inside to give me (8 channels on radio then 12 + 2 from module)
the radio itself can store up to 12 models each with their own settings and if a CAMPac is fitted then even more can be stored.

As for the VS tug the way the units are controlled give the vessel its trust in any direction, each VS unit has two servos to move the center drive control pin which in turn denotes where the blades pivot to give thrust at what point.
I have since had a little time in the workshop and found out that I had tried to use the VS tug with my ASD tug settings which is why there was such a erratic vessel on the water. (the ASD is easier to e=set up so will redo that later)
Also the VS drive units must not have the center pin pushed or pulled too much or damage can be costly so having a transmitter with adjustable endpoint, centering and exponential as well as multi mixing  channels is almost a must for this type of drive system (IMHO)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2012, 05:56:00 pm »

I run my parat with only 3 servos for the vs units. 2 move each thwart ship rod for f&a thrust using ch 1 & 3. I use 1 more servo to move both f&a rods via an idler. Push 1 rod, pull the other. As units are contra rotating then both thrust to port or to stbd. I drive this servo on channel 6 via a pot so I have mimicked the real operation of wheel and 2 levers. I have a 20amp esc which controls both units speed via channel 5 again with a pot. The esc is NOT required. The units can just be switched on when launching model. The real ones units rotate at full speed all the time. They only take power (load) when pulling pitch. I fitted an esc because I listened to "experts" and it was my first model so didn't think it wise to argue. It is however fun to run the units at dead slow to work up ones skills. I use 4 more channels  for pump switch, sail winch for extending monitor and for traversing same and 2 monitors on monkey island. These are mainly for soaking grockles. They love it!!
If you are only getting a kick on switch on I don't really think you have anything to worry about re over driving the units. I regularly over drive mine (they get noisy) just back em off until quiet. Mine are in their third year with no problems.
Jerry.

catengineman

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2012, 06:58:49 pm »

Ah I see, though I do use four servos I have totally independent operation of either drive, and like you I have fitted an ESC this is a boon when using this tug in steering competitions as it gives such a great control, though I did get a handicap at one meeting (they (the judges) made me travel the whole course BACKWARDS  :D ) well they thought it was a handicap.
I have diverted from the Parat to have a construction of my own design, so there is no telescopic monitor but it does have an anchor that works and the tow winch.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2012, 07:10:19 pm »

See, they don't understand them. They are better backwards. I love mine.
Jerry.

catengineman

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2012, 07:25:35 pm »

This is my second one (should never have sold the other)
Even the ASD tug will drive astern very well but as my tugs are on the large side doing the steering comps through the small gates we use can be a bit of a task

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2012, 08:08:05 pm »

Thank you for the info.    :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

catengineman

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2012, 08:24:39 pm »

Note to self.....
Change names of models to something other than TUG 1 and TUG 2 and TUG 3, SPRING,  S Heli and L Heli, JET SKI and POPEYE.
Tito Neri was TUG 1 but is now going to be Neri just so I don't wipe out all her settings again.  <:(

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2012, 09:05:48 pm »

I run my parat with only 3 servos for the vs units. 2 move each thwart ship rod for f&a thrust using ch 1 & 3. I use 1 more servo to move both f&a rods via an idler. Push 1 rod, pull the other. As units are contra rotating then both thrust to port or to stbd. I drive this servo on channel 6 via a pot so I have mimicked the real operation of wheel and 2 levers. I have a 20amp esc which controls both units speed via channel 5 again with a pot. The esc is NOT required. The units can just be switched on when launching model. The real ones units rotate at full speed all the time. They only take power (load) when pulling pitch. I fitted an esc because I listened to "experts" and it was my first model so didn't think it wise to argue. It is however fun to run the units at dead slow to work up ones skills. I use 4 more channels  for pump switch, sail winch for extending monitor and for traversing same and 2 monitors on monkey island. These are mainly for soaking grockles. They love it!!
If you are only getting a kick on switch on I don't really think you have anything to worry about re over driving the units. I regularly over drive mine (they get noisy) just back em off until quiet. Mine are in their third year with no problems.
Jerry.
hi jerry c   are you running the  500e motor  or have you gone for the 600 like some of the other's have   ive left mine running on  the 500e's so far!   my voith tug is the nanuq  a bit bigger than the parat   lts of fun to drive! :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2012, 09:51:16 pm »

I kept what they came with, 500e.
Jerry.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.