Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: paint / clear interface  (Read 2894 times)

sunnybob

paint / clear interface
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:00:28 pm »

Right, after what seems like a million attempts, and a basket full of empty cans and used wet and dry paper,  I think I have a reasonable finish on the hull of my cruiser. Its sprayed over a fibreglass coating, and is now as good as I'm going to get it.
Now I want to spray clear coat over the top to protect the boat from small dings and chips.
Should I sand the paint before clear spraying? or leave the roughened surface for the clear to stick to?
Once the first clear coat is on, should I sand between clear coats> or not.
 :o {:-{

Cyberdan

Re: paint / clear interface
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 03:22:26 pm »

The purpose of sanding between coats is to give the paint something to grab onto on almost a molicular level thus sanding is usually done via very fine wet/dry sandpaper 1500 or 2000 grit.

If you thing that you have a rough enough surface, think again, because sanding between coats of paint is done just enough to dull the paint that's already on the model not to take layers off or anything. What I'm trying to say is if your rough surface is due to surface imperfections it will still require light sanding to get the clear to stick properly, after that if you follow the can's instructions you will not require additional sanding since usually they call for multiple coats sprayed within 1 hour of applying the prior coat which means the subsequent coat is applied before the other ones have dried (Just past tacky, and don't try to test that by touching it LOL) this way each coat thins the very top portion of the one below it and grips hard to it creating a very solid smooth finish.

Hope this helped.
Hany

gwa84

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 03:49:14 pm »

for flatting the paint befor recoting ive always used scoch pads they dull the serfice of the paind and give a verry good key for the new layer much beter then sand paper and they conform beter to od shapes  :-))

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirka-Mirlon-Scotch-Brite-Red-Very-Fine-3-X-Hand-Pads-/270775546860?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item3f0b7af3ec

i can send you a few if you give us your adress free of charge  :-))

sunnybob

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:40:09 pm »

hmmm, I think I understand, but paint has always been a closed book to me, and I really dont enjoy it at all  <:( <:(
So, once the colour coat is on, I lightly sand the whole boat with wet and dry (1200 grit is the finest I can get here), but than i spray multiple coats of clear WITHOUT sanding, yes? And what about when the clear is finished? do i then polish with something?

Oh, thanks for the offer of the free pads, but you better look at my location before making that offer again  O0 :embarrassed: %%

Cyberdan

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:27:01 pm »

You are correct in your understanding.

You don't need to spend hours in the sanding step. It's just a gentle quick Sand down to take the sheen away. so in reality you're pretty darn close to finishing.

1200 grit works also, just adjust your hand pressure so you don't cut a lot more than you need. Also a fine sponge pad would work for this exercise.

Hany

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:49:33 pm »

Oh, thanks for the offer of the free pads, but you better look at my location before making that offer again

I've looked at your location and I'm definitely willing to bring you a box out
You might have to house me for a fortnight though O0 :}

Dave

sunnybob

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:11:56 pm »

you know, i get far more offers to hand deliver now than when I lived in London. Strange that.
 {-) {-) O0

I have enough blue in the spray can for one more coat tomorrow, I'll leave it till sat for a rub down, then spray cleasr on sunday,
wish me luck....... <:( :-X

Cyberdan

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 04:57:25 pm »

How did the painting go?

sunnybob

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 03:03:22 pm »

Well.................... Its not good enough for me to post pics and boast  {:-{ but its good enough for me to carry on with the rebuild. This has been a "first time" for so many different parts of the refurb, that I just look on this as a learning curve for possible future build /refurb.
I was pleased with the fibreglassing once I finally taught myself what I was doing wrong. I now know how to spray a much better finish than I've ever done before, but I also know that I was right in absolutely HATING paint!!! >>:-( >:-o

I was surprised that the clear coat didnt give me more shine, but I only wanted it to protect the blue, so i cant complain. ok2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.