Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam Tug Throstlegarth  (Read 4278 times)

neil.r

Steam Tug Throstlegarth
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:41:16 pm »

New to this forum, and to model baot building, but built may RC scale aircraft, and a couple of steam locos.

Anyway
want to build a Mersey tug (just moved away from Merseyside, so need a link back to my roots)

I have the plans for Throstlegarth, at 1:32 scale, and have a few questions;-
1      Is this model the same or very similar to Fleet Mounts" Bangarth", and Model Marine Models  "Rosegarth"
If so, can I get some bits from these people, to help with my plan build
2     Building off the plan, can I just cut all the ribs from 1/8 & 1/4 inch marine ply(Think you call them frames), from the plan, glue them onto the keel from 1/8 inch ply (with a key in each to lock), add a few stringers (Model aircraft term) 1/4 square balsa to hold or link the frames, then sheet with 1/16 inch or 1/32 inch ply sheet, maybe small sheets to simulate the metal sheets
3    Is there any differneces with each of the sister boats, AysGarth, Applegarth, Grassgarth, Rosegarth, Bangarth
4    any advise on build this, tips, motor, prop, anything!!!!

Neil %)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Steam Tug Throstlegarth
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:33:09 pm »

I would suggest a thicker keel, at least 3/8" possibly 1/2". The frames need to be at least 1/4". That way the frames will sit square on the keel. The hull would be better planked and the plating simulated afterwards with card or thin plastic/ply.

Sorry know nothing about tug types.
Don't Assume Check

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:53:57 pm »

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:15:22 pm »

very nice links Norseman

Xtian

neil.r

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:25:44 am »

Norseman, thanks for the very nice images,
Dougal99 thanks for the tips

Neil

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:11:39 am »

Hi neil.r
have a look at this http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7947.0

it may help you

aye

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

dave301bounty

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 12:22:24 pm »

Where to begin ,well i worked on all the Rea s Tuds only as an apprentice in the ship yard , the Throsle was in a class fairly new and very modern at the time ,the Grass Throsle, Ban ,Apple ,could be another ,lovely tugs ,and there machinery was similar to a deepsea ships ,triple expansion with a large boiler ,there is a chap on this site who can give you a lot more about these ,he builds them .  there were differences in each tug ,but it escapes me at the moment , things like wooden boat decks ,one life boat uncovered ,fresh wtr tank on starboard dide aft ,,lots of little things but im pretty sure i will alert some one here .

neil.r

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 11:09:35 pm »

Well Bluebird, your build information is amazing,took me a long time to read.  May have to re read, to get thing clear.
I was going to build it on the keel, but I can see your way is better at ensuring a straight hull.
Thanks
Neil
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.