Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting vessel to model.  (Read 5785 times)

farrow

Interesting vessel to model.
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:47:42 pm »

I was given a load of photos of warships pre 1945, I have virtually all the 1930's A to I class plus loads of WW1 destroyers and TBD's, any to cut the chase short this interesting photo turned up, which I believe to be a WW1 small monitor.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Interesting vessel to model.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 10:49:29 pm »

Now I see what you were talking about her looking strange now I have seen her pic.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

raflaunches

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 07:13:31 pm »

Hi Dodes

I think the ship in the picture could be HMS Grudge or a similar custom built gunboat.  I think they were based upon the Flat iron or Ant class gunboats from the 1880s.  They were longer and wider than the Ant class because they were gun trial vessels, one of which was fitted with a 9.2inch gun and possibly bigger calibre weapons.  Grudge survived to become a tender vessel and if my memory is correct was not scrapped until the 1950s.  If you want any more info I suggest the 'Send For a Gunboat' book by Antony Preston which was re-published a few years ago, it contains all the gunboats, gunvessels, gunsloops and other minor vessels which carried big guns from the mid 1800s to 1900.  A very good read.
Hope this helps.

Nick B

rmaddock

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 07:17:21 pm »

Presumably, they have to stand all those sailors on the back of the gun platform to stop the weight of the barrel capsizing her?  {-)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 07:18:32 pm »

Did they ever fire that gun in anger? I would imagine that the blast/recoil would shatter the Bridge staff and probably split the hull! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

raflaunches

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 07:23:00 pm »

Presumably, they have to stand all those sailors on the back of the gun platform to stop the weight of the barrel capsizing her?  {-)

Its either that or it required that many to carry the shell!!!  {-)

Nick B

p.s I don't think any were used in anger, would you want to be crew (or the poor sods on the receiving end)  :}

scoop

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:06:02 pm »

Did they ever fire that gun in anger? I would imagine that the blast/recoil would shatter the Bridge staff and probably split the hull! BY.
Maybe they fire the gun when they want to go astern  :D
Scoop

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 08:57:51 pm »

Possibly a little off topic. I have a model of the Cerebus a early monitor. Built in England then sailed despite its low sides, to Australia. Its still there beached as a breakwater. Sadly the money to salvage it is not there. But lets hope it is. John   

brianB6

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 09:07:06 pm »

The Victorian Navy (did you know there was one?) have a web site:-
http://www.cerberus.com.au/
To raise awareness of the ship.
Of course there is the Royal Australian Navy training base H.M.A.S. Cerberus on Westernport Bay.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 10:37:36 pm »

As NickB notes, it looks like either HMS Drudge or HMS Handy with the 9.2 but without the shield.

Lots of pics on line.

Tony

farrow

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 11:50:33 am »

Cheers everyone, I will out of interest research this one , though I remember reading some years ago the RN had a number of small monitors of various shapes and sizes to lob shells at the Boch off the Belgium coast. At first it reminded me of the cartoon figures in the old Popeye cartoons.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 12:04:17 pm »

Hi Dodes

if you do get a definite identification and history could you post it up here please, I'd like to read it.

Dave

farrow

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 10:37:05 pm »

Hi, yes if I am successful, sure I will post it.

Trooper63

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 03:45:28 am »

Any gunnery officer of that day should be saluted.  Imagine (pre-GPS) having to do indirect fire with that.  Direct fire is understandable, but lobbing one of those shells from a roughly and hastily plotted position, and then doing the ranging and direction to resolve the shot. Those guys earns their money in my eyes.

farrow

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 03:46:42 pm »

Hi all,
Put the photo on ship nostalga site for info, found out she was originally the Drudge was then attached to Portsmouth as a trial boat for guns and training and was renamed Excellent and was armed with a 9.2 gun, the gun was on a fixed mount and the vessel moved to get the desired bearing. During WW1 she was used off the Belgian coast as a monitor. A interesting site about the vessel is on
http://goawaygarage.blogspot.com/201...4279eaccc2a4e4
Built in the Victorian period, designed to engage a larger ironclad in numbers.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 03:52:16 pm »

The link does not work for me Dodes

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

catengineman

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 03:55:18 pm »

I only get this

raflaunches

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 04:31:58 pm »

Hi Dodes

I have just found my copy of 'Send a Gunboat' by Antony Preston and John Major and have found this info regarding HMS Drudge.

Drudge was a slightly larger 'flat-iron' gunboat completed in 1887 and built by Armstong specifically for testing guns and mountings.  Both Drudge and Handy were purchased by thr Admiralty for the same purpose where she served in this capacity attached to HMS Excellent, the gunnery school at Portsmouth, and later as a floating workshop for HMS Dryad, until sold in 1920.

Hope this helps.

Nick B

farrow

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 08:59:38 pm »

Sorry guys, Shipmate 60 said the link did not work, so I have just cut and paste it for you, but it seems the last post gave most of the relevant info, though this site gives some more info on the Victorian gunboats.

http://goawaygarage.blogspot.com/2011/05/armoured-ship-thursday-on-friday.html?zx=70fd311bfb33f804
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.