Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for ASD model tug pictures (Ayton Cross)  (Read 4160 times)

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
Looking for ASD model tug pictures (Ayton Cross)
« on: January 30, 2012, 08:10:58 pm »

Hello

Some here know that I'm French and also that I'm publishing sometime articles in French model boat magazine. Today I have a request as I'm looking for pics of a "licence" ASD tug model - I mean not real 360° Z-drive but like conventionally equiped with double steerable nozzle.

I'm mostly thinking about  MMM kit Portgarth or Ayton Cross

At first I was a little shocked with those ASD tug models that were not really Z-drive but conventional tug with horizontal shaft for screw and two steerable nozzles.  I was surprised as myself I was on a project of true ASD with 360° propeller.

One time I spoke here on Mayhem and someone told me that it was like a "license" that allowed to built current tug while being easier and costs less than a true ASD. I was convinced !

Now I'm on a project with publish a report about an ASD model in France and I would like to introduce here this "licence" and to explain properly I'm looking for pictures like 3/4 aft view of Ayton Cross showing the conventional shaft, screws and steerable nozzles  but also showing that she is a modern and attractive tug.  As the MMM steerable nozzles could be installed on this project,  Ayton Cross could be a nice example.

Xtian 

catengineman

Re: Looking for ASD model tug pictures (Ayton Cross)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:25:58 pm »

Not sure if I read correctly but would the Graupner Tito Neri tug with the ASD drives also be the sort your looking for?

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:40:22 pm »

Nope, my intention is to present this "licence" which consist to power an ASD model, not with the 360° regular propeller like on Tito NerI but this called "model licence" with regular shaft screws and twin steerable nozzles.

In fact I will publish a project with complete drawing and details about a french modern ASD tug.  

Experienced modellers will built her with azimutal propellers - in fact for most of them they will use the Graupner ones from Tito Neri.  But I want to present this "british" way of building an ASD : quite simpler, then with MMM steerable nozzles.  

An alternative way for less experienced modellers and also less costly option.

As nobody in France know that "model licence" (like poetic licence) I'm looking for publishable pictures of Ayton Cross or Portgarth.

Xtian  

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:56:52 pm »

I did build the Tito with twin ASD's then through my own foolishness destroyed one side and so then converted it to fixed shafts with steerable Kort's
I found this to be fine but in no way as much fun or maneuverable as when she was fitted with ASD's so I purchased two more drives and converted her back to ASD's I will try to find the pictures if you want.

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:19:23 pm »

Yes please, show me your work when steerable nozzles time. 

Of course this way is less efficient and maneouverable than real ASD. Then : propeller with 180° and reverse acting for the other 180° are also less manoeuverable than real 360° and plus . 

Xtian

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:37:43 pm »

Hi Xtian here is a photo of my Ormesby Cross and Flying Spindrift, both tugs should have had Z-drives but I fitted steerable Korts to both builds.

catengineman

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:42:23 pm »

I have found some which I took I will look for the others.

If you look you can just make out where the kort shaft is in relation to the original holes for the ASD units.
I also have one image where the motors were mounted and the shaft through the hull.
I hope these will help you

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 11:06:11 pm »

Thank you to both of you, I sent a PM to both

Chipcase, this side view picture is also interresting as the bulbous of the propeller is also built. Nice !

Thks again

Xtian

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 11:11:12 pm »

Here are two photos of the two vessels that I am building at the moment. The Svitzer Malltby has Z-drives and the  Esvagt Caroline has pods.
Regards Brian

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 05:21:15 pm »

The Esvagt Caroline has pods, you mean the electical motor is in the bulbous part of the propeller ?  The real one is not with Z drives ?

Very nice built. The project of report I'm preparing for the French model magazine is the Abeille/Boluda serie of 8 tugs  like this one http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1462251

Xtian

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 08:11:41 pm »

You are 100% correct xtian,the real vessel has z-drives I stand corrected. :embarrassed:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.