Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MODEL BOATS OR NOT ?  (Read 12336 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: MODEL BOATS OR NOT ?
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 06:51:23 pm »

Nice one Mike.  :-))

Flash22, wheres the build and photos ?  {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 07:01:52 pm »

Just a little taster to keep your habit going Dicky. ;)

Mike

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

MikeA

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 07:06:10 pm »

Erm .... {:-{   ... OK chaps, it's a fair cop ! Actually I was waiting for someone far more experienced than me to do a build log of this one but as there doesn't appear to be one in the offing, I'll give it a go....  :embarrassed:

I've taken a few photos and I'll get something up, hopefully tomorrow , for your edification....  :D

actually fella its usually the guys with less experience that make the more interesting build threads. When someone who knows what theyre doing make one, people can only say "hmm very nice and thats great keep up the good work"

im for one am interested in your build artistmike as it looks like something i could realistically attempt myself.

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18:04 pm »

Well I went out to the shed tonight had a clear up ready to start again building theses things we float on water does that count Dicky

Dave

Patternmaker

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 08:59:43 pm »

I have posted a total of 259 photos on my build of Wide A Wake Launch, started in May 2010
Total views 8,114 replies 229  which I hope has inspired some new members to post their builds, I have received many messages from new members who have posted their builds with very little or no response and feel reluctant to post again.
I must admit there are times when I wondered if its worth the time and trouble to post on MBM.

I also post on RC Groups, Build log of Wide A Wake which I started in July 2010 total views 13,203 replies 289.
The interest and response I get from the US and Europe is far more enthusiastic.

The long Build

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 09:08:43 pm »

Rc is just ever so slightly a bigger forum.

From your figures

MBM 1 reply every 35 views

Rc 1 reply every 45 views..

I tend to look at every build regardless if it is what I am interested in as there is always something to learn , but may not respond unless i have a particular relavant comment to that build as not to clutter the thread. :-))

Timo2

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 09:12:14 pm »

Hi Dicky

Just a small one  :}

In the river yard ( spare bedroom )  designed and build in the last 24 hours about to start fitting out ! has to Clyde Build   O0

Timo2

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 09:16:02 pm »

Hi Patternmaker

Think how unmanageable a thread would be if everyone was posting up comments all the time.
If someone presses 'Notify' and follows a build then that is a compliment to the builder in itself.
You do great work Patternmaker and that has been said to me by others too - so your posts are
not going unappreciated. I like builds that are either excellent or by a modeller who wants to
meet and discuss problems because I learn from both.

Dave

Patternmaker

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 09:34:10 pm »

Rc is just ever so slightly a bigger forum.

From your figures

MBM 1 reply every 35 views

Rc 1 reply every 45 views..

I tend to look at every build regardless if it is what I am interested in as there is always something to learn , but may not respond unless i have a particular relavant comment to that build as not to clutter the thread. :-))

My main point is that new members are reluctant to post for the very reasons I said.

RC Groups covers all aspects of modelling the Model Boat section is much smaller than MBM

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 09:37:17 pm »

See Neil its not just me.

that would be novel.

Dicky,

I would read your boat related novel as I am sure others would.   O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 09:56:33 pm »

Hi I always thought that the main objective of this type of forum was to pass information on to all modellers who are new and not so new and to try and encourage new people to try out the model boat hobby.
I also believe there are several of us who share the same views and have in the past done lengthy builds of models from scratch and kits on this forum as to encourage others to have a go
I for one don't count the views nor the comments of the builds -but obviously i read the comments to learn from them
also i view other builds looking for different methods of doing things as apposed to the way i do things,  and yes we should ALL attempt to post a build on the forum as long as it has to do with model boats

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 10:12:44 pm »

Have to agree with "Norseman" and "Pattermakers" comments.

There are boats out there and a lot of mayhemers for whatever reason, can't upload photos of their builds and put commentary to them. There is commentary to this effect on some builds after the poster has overcome their posting problems. No doubt different degrees of computer literacy and two fingered typing. (Me)

Others don't have the gift of the gab, whilst others don't feel inclined to list a "sows ear" among "silk purses" because of destructive commentary as opposed to constructive commentary.

It is the "non talented" learner battler that needs help and encouragement and if they want to stay in the wings good on them. At least they are staying.

The Statistics, number of views and post, etc mean nothing, you can make stats mean anything.

That the forum continues to exist and continues to grow and has variety and interest is most compelling.

Looked at other sites but no thanks this one is fine, it is also good to have a laugh once in a while.

Don't change anything it ain't broke, long may mayhem prosper.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 10:18:57 pm »

I think John is right, view statistics are not really relevant, it's the quality of the views that matter - i.e. those people who are inspired to have a go themselves. Putting information on a Model Boat Forum is just something you do to try and support the hobby and people are welcome to use it or not as they wish.

Inevitably, on all Forums, there is a very large silent majority who read and take information but for whatever reason choose not to post themselves. That's the way things are.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 11:48:43 pm »

Just a little taster to keep your habit going Dicky. ;)

Mike

That seems to be up to your usual standard Mike, excellent.

Wheres the rest of it ? {:-{

Well I went out to the shed tonight had a clear up ready to start again building theses things we float on water does that count Dicky

Dave

Knew I could rely on you Dave :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 11:57:37 pm »

Hi Dicky

Just a small one  :}

In the river yard ( spare bedroom )  designed and build in the last 24 hours about to start fitting out ! has to Clyde Build   O0

Timo2

Very nice Timo2 this is what is needed, more build logs. :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 12:50:25 am »

Modelling is very much in limbo for me at the moment - for one thing we are 1000km from home, in the central highlands of Queensland (temp in the mid to high 30s Celsius). We are with our daughter and son-in-law and their new baby girl, our 9th grandchild, helping until our daughter has fully recovered from a Caesarean delivery. We will be leaving for home on Monday, then we have to start packing for the big move back to our farm, and I'm not looking forward to all that packing :((

However, once we are settled, I will be in my 40' x 20' shed and on to a long postponed build of a Severn class life boat. I'm looking forward to having so much more space than my current 10' x 10' shed provides, although with all that room I'll probably spend even more time looking for tools that I've absent-mindedly misplaced :embarrassed:. I have also got some other projects in mind, including a refit of my Armidale class patrol boat to try and keep up with the high standard of the outstanding builds of others on the forum, including Glen, Brian and Richard.

Peter.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2012, 12:52:31 am »

Will start to post a "slow!" build log of 'Alice Upjohn' tomorrow just for you Dicky. (Norseman was astute enough to suggest the "slow" bit! lol).  - Don't blame me though if it bores you Rich or if you learn now't (as is most probable)  O0 {-) {-) {-)

Take care and regards, Tony.  :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 01:02:33 am »

Peter, no way do you have to keep up with me, my wife is a clever photographer.

Tony, I shall await your build with anticipation, same as your Skype call. ;)

Patternmaker

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 08:48:33 am »

When you have taken the time and trouble to post over 250 pictures and answered over 100 questions on a topic I think the number of views and replies do matter, the replies that clog topics is all the unnecessary off topic sniping and abusive remarks which does not reflect the spirit of MBM and is not setting a very good example for newer members, another reason for them not wanting to get involved.
As with most forums they tend to get clicky, personally I couldn't care less what people think of me but when its in black and white, that's a different kettle of fish.

Statistics of members are very interesting, comparison of topics started to number of posts, there are also a very small number of members who use MBM solely for sales without contributing anything else, so as Dicky says lets have some more boats.

Mick

LarryW

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 10:07:17 am »

Hi, 
        Here  are few loved ones , neglected ones and new ones, where does all the time go? must do some back tracking ...Larry.... %% %% :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2012, 11:22:25 am »

You have a workroom like mine Larry [over crowded]

How many of your builds did you post on the forum  ? {:-{

LarryW

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2012, 11:48:48 am »

Hi Dicky d  ,
               All of them,  i think my weak link is any thing with cloth and string ,  in other words yachts..... {-)    Larry...

Dreadstar

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2012, 12:35:27 pm »

Sorry MrD,but the Midas is more or less finished now,and unlike so many others on here,I don't have another boat awaiting construction. I'm fast running out of space here,as the Midas is my 10th boat,which when added to my 30+ R/C cars;2 helicopters;2 planes and a tank,leaves me very little room for anything else at the moment. {:-{

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2012, 12:47:40 pm »

Sorry MrD,but the Midas is more or less finished now,and unlike so many others on here,I don't have another boat awaiting construction. I'm fast running out of space here,as the Midas is my 10th boat,which when added to my 30+ R/C cars;2 helicopters;2 planes and a tank,leaves me very little room for anything else at the moment. {:-{

Not good enough Mr D, I'm on my 19th boat with 1 waiting and I have 2 R/C cars and 3 R/C tanks, must take up as much room as yours.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2012, 12:55:19 pm »

Hi Dicky looking at this topic has made me look at some unfinished projects which i have started and not fully completed them (OK that's all of my models hahaha) plus the bathroom.  One of them is a scratch built twin cylinder steam engine built in about 1977 by me, and at the time I used to run it on steam using NOW WAIT FOR IT AND NOT FORTHE FAINT HEARTED my wife's pressure cooker! The boiler for the engine was never competed due to house moves and so on but the idea was to build the HMS Kent from the Victorian times and fit the engine and boiler in there, as you can see the engine is in bad state.  It needs a lot of work doing to it to bring it back to life - I think when the weather warms up hopefully I will beable to get to the work shop outside and spend time rebuilding it with a newboiler.

aye

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 23 queries.