Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My Vliestroom Build  (Read 19237 times)

Michael 1979

My Vliestroom Build
« on: February 01, 2012, 05:57:56 pm »

Hi

Just had that e-mail that we all love to get except for my wallet :-) Model Slipway has just advised that my kit of the Vliestroom is ready to be sent :-) :-) :-) Now it's getting real. Hopefully my attention span can last long enough to give you a good build log of my progress.

My model is going to be bare bones, in that I'm not having any extras in the radio control side. Why? well money realy it's taken me a year to save up for this one!
Well I'm really looking forward to this one....

catengineman

Re: My Vliestroom Build
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 06:06:34 pm »

Never say never,
Take your time on the build and you will want to add this and that (I do)
trouble is some of my ideas are as costly as the boat in its self.
Keep an eye out for the little bargain which can be modded to fit your build and increase the enjoyment many fold

Michael 1979

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:14:16 pm »

Yeah you are probably right there.. We shall see as time goes on. I usally do take my time with builds no point in being rushed with something like this.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 11:09:31 am »

You'll enjoy this build.  I regret selling mine. She's a great ship.

Any build questions will be welcomed.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Michael 1979

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 06:13:55 pm »

Thanks Tug-Kenny

Your build was one of my inspirations for getting the kit! I must say that I am so happy with the service from Model slipway so far
they always go the extra mile for you, like providing extra blank  sheets of styrene encase you want to make extra parts!! and providing links to builds on websites. Amazing!! It's the complete opposite of another well known English kit manufacturer who I wont name
where the Hull arrived damaged, with parts missing, 80% of the white metal parts were misformed, The instructions were like deciphering the Hieroglyphics and they did not want to have a bar of it!

I'm looking forward to my Vliestroom... It should be posted soon so this time next week I should hopefully be reviewing the contents.

Michael 1979

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 06:10:50 am »

My Vliestroom arrived today in quite a big sturdy box! I'll post photos soon after I get over the excitement!  :}

Michael 1979

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 06:00:07 pm »

For those who might of thought.. Where the heck are the funnels or exhaust! Well I found them on this picture, they exit through the
stern bulwark. While not represented on the model this will be an easy addition to include. Photo from ship nostalgia.

Sorry I still need to get to upload photos of the model, will get around to it I promise :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 12:50:30 am »

Any build questions will be welcomed.

Hi Ken
if I remember correctly (and I have had some magic mead tonight) I don't think I ever figured out where the exhausts were on the Vliestroom?
I don't mean you forgot them, just that I couldn't see them? Or am I just mixed up?

Dave

Michael 1979

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 10:38:32 pm »

Hi Everyone

Sorry I have not been at my computer for a while. I have not done too much yet as I am waiting to get some supplies. I have started pottering around cleaning up some of the white metal parts. As you can see from the picture I have pinned up the plans for the ship,
My room has a real shpyard feel to it now :)

I noticed in the instuctions that they provide some styrene sidings to glue to the inside of the hull for the Bulwarks etc, Has anyone else used these? I've just noticed that most people seem to be just happy with sanding & filling the inside of the Bulwarks?

colin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 07:55:56 am »

I always glue a sheet of styrene on as a siding it saves a lot of filling and sanding, give a large bonding area to the grp and is a lot easier to fit deck strips bulwarks etc to.

Regards
Colin
Born free Taxed to death.

Michael 1979

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 09:51:54 am »

thanks for that advise Colin it makes good sense, I probably should make it as simple as possible for myself :)
I,ve been working on one of Buoys for a bit of practice. Will do my best to put up some photos soon.

grzegorz75

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 11:09:57 am »

Heloo

All parts of the white metal is good to do from scratch, for example, with styrene. Will be better made​​, and work with them will give much satisfaction.

Michael 1979

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 06:31:19 pm »

Thanks for the advise. This is pretty much my first large scale ship so I probably will leave the white metal fittings for this one,
I know it's not the most perfect material to work with so maybe in the future I can do more on my own. [I do however love the work that you do on your models and have especially enjoyed the Aziz. You have a great eye for detail.]

Michael 1979

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 09:49:41 am »

Found this helpful photo of the Bridge of the near sister ship Schuitengat

Even though it's not the Vliestroom I'll probably take elemants from this picture and use it for my model.

Photo from Shipspotting

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 07:34:45 pm »

Hi Mike
Just out of interest I spent a while looking for images of her bridge
and I came up blank. That quite surprised me - ho hum. {:-{
Dave

Michael 1979

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 08:44:57 pm »

It's takes a lot of digging on the net to get anything, Not too much on the Vliestromm out there apart from the model
I've got photos of the three ships in the class and there are minor details between them all. I gather that at some time
the Vliestroom underwent a bit of a refit. i.e. repaint [does anyone know what that yellow green paint colour is?] Also
it received some extra ventilation/fans at the stern, which also changed the orientation of the stern companionway.  so is a bit different.

At the moment I'm really collating research and tools before I really make a start.
Dave, I take it you have made the Vliestroom? is the build on this website?

Michael

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 11:37:39 pm »

No not made it  (but I like it) - I just thought I would try and find it for you.
I like digging about for info. Hence the name the flag, name the ship games.
I'm looking forward to following your build ...... links to the research too :-))

Dave

Michael 1979

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 02:00:35 am »

Dave, Anything you can find will be most welcome :-) :-) :-)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 04:05:14 pm »

Missed this one off http://www.haagsemodelbootclub.nl/vliestroom/vliestroom2.html
Also clicking Groot Formaat buttons gets you larger images for my previous posts images

Dave

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 04:09:26 pm »

Michael 1979

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 07:54:13 pm »

(my wife is in my ear now, she's trying to convince me to go out for a meal tonight with people I barely know  <:( ................. please shoot me in the head with a hilti gun)

I really feel for you there.. Chin up and it will all be over :-))

Thanks very much for the links it is most helpful, :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) especially interior shots.. One thing I've noticed is that on the ship as built the exhaust
exited much lower in the hull. You would think that it would get a lot of backwash being so low- maybe one reason they diverted it higher later on. I'll post some photos show you can see what I mean :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 09:00:28 pm »

Just noticed from the images that the ships both havea different crests

Dave

Michael 1979

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 09:16:26 pm »

I've Highlighted were the exhaust on the original ship is

And as now.

They are both port & Starboard as well
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.