Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rotating turrets  (Read 4550 times)

Kevin R

Rotating turrets
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:47:02 am »

Hi Guys

I have recently built a Deans 1/96th scale HMS Nubian kit.  I would like to have the turrets rotating and would like some advice on how to do this.  I have some thoughts on using servos mounted directly to turrets or using mini motors.  I have little knowledge of electronics but this this grows with each build.

Any suggestions and how too's would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rotating turrets
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 11:08:30 am »

The ACTion Electronics servomorph is an excellent device for doing this sort of thing: http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/mixers.php

However, I suspect your biggest problem will be weight. These long thin destroyer hulls have only a limited resreve of stability and while you may well be able to fit the necessary mechanisms into the space available you may find that they compromise the model's stability and handling.

No doubt others will be able to offer more detailed advice.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:18:05 am »

Turrets mounted direct on servos is a good idea and probably the most simple meathod.

You can use "add-on" servo controlers, such as, ACTion's P96 SERVOMORPH  & "Servo Slow" units as used by the scale model flyerd for thier retract gear and doors.

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/mixers.php
http://smservices.net/acatalog/On_Board_Units.html
http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=9380
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Kevin R

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 05:39:55 pm »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the information, I have mounted a turret on to a micro servo but unfortunatly when it is powered it only rotates to around 30 Degrees, i would like it to rotate to at least 45 Degrees to allow it to look realistic. Have you any more ideas before I expolore the small motors route.

Had a look at the links you supplied Colin and I like the idea of using one of these what ever method I eventually use.

Thanks

Kevin

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 05:51:17 pm »

If you mount the servo so its linked to the turret by rod linkage then you can alter the movement to how you wish by choosing to vary what holes you connect  the rod to the servo and turret arms. John.

ACTion

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 05:52:43 pm »

............or you just tweak P96's trim pots R1 and R2..........  %)
DM

rathikrishna

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 07:35:07 pm »

Kevin..its too easy to install a turret directly on a mini, or micro servo, by reworking on the servo in a simple manner..so, you can use any of your TX sticks or potentiometrs, to operate it, in any speed, from very slow to high, by the ratio of input to the stick..and can rotate from 120 degree to 360 degree, all up to you..will add a build log by tomorrow..its cool..you need to do this only a micro or mini servo.. :-))

john44

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 10:24:34 pm »

Hi Kev, I have put one of Daves (Action) servomorph control units on a test bed
It turns virtually 40 or so degrees either way of central when RV1 & RV2 are set at max.
The desired speed is set manually.

I had a quick look at the description of the other two alternative units/servo slowers.
It didn,t say or I couldn,t see if they had a end point setting function on them?
To stretch the servo as the Action unit does.

Anyway I will bring the set up down the lake and see if there is enough travel on the
servo at max settings for your needs.

see you soon

john

Gra

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 05:37:58 am »

Hi Kevin,

Have a look at Dionysus Design Servo Strechers they will give you 180 deg. travel.
Very simple to use just plug into servo lead and cheap.
I have mounted turret to small servo and it works great.

Gra

ACTion

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 09:08:21 am »

The amount of travel depends more on the type of servo than the stretcher. For example, P96 will give 180 degrees on a standard Hitec Zebra servo but only 160 degrees on a Futaba 3003. It is also infinitely adjustable between zero and full throw, whereas the Dionysus unit simply doubles the existing throw and uses the ATV on the Tx to adjust it further - that's if you have such a Tx. There are physical stops in the gear train which are there to prevent the feedback pot from being turned beyond its limits.
DM

Gra

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 11:32:52 am »

Hi Action,

The servo i used was the Hitec HS-65HB.

Gra

john44

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 04:11:11 pm »

Hi Kevin,

Have a look at Dionysus Design Servo Strechers they will give you 180 deg. travel.
Very simple to use just plug into servo lead and cheap.
I have mounted turret to small servo and it works great.

Gra
Hi Gra, as you say the Dionysus doubles the angle of rotation, which in some circumstances can be too much.
The Action unit can be set from left and right off center by 2 pot,s upto 45 degrees travel either way and also the speed of travel
by adjusting a 3rd pot. All in 1 little unit and it also has piggy back pins for sending the same signal to other equipment.

as you can tell/probably I do use this unit on 3 of my boats and I have no conplaints.

john

Kevin R

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 05:06:02 pm »

Thanks to all who have given me advice for this topic I have now decided to go with the servo morph from action having seen this in operation by a john, a pmbc club member.

Happy sailing

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.