Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cutty sark  (Read 2263 times)

dave301bounty

cutty sark
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:07:20 pm »

tonight at nine ,bbc two ,the cutty sark story.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: cutty sark
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:29:24 pm »

Not a bad programme and it's good to see the progress that has been made especially when you consider that the total cost has probably only amounted to the equivalent of half a dozen banker's bonuses!

Colin.

bobk

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:38:47 pm »

Great to see the ship is finally nearing completion. 
Loved the part showing how they did the caulking.  Fitting hemp rope into the joints with a caulking hammer, then carefully pouring pitch into the joint.  I used a felt tip pen on my plank edges   {-)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:49:42 pm »

For myself, I was quite taken with the idea of raising the entire ship to relieve stresses on the hull. I'd like to see a follow-up programme on this. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 11:45:24 pm »

Very interesting. Presumably the reinforced deck beams are struts to keep the ends of the external support struts apart, and the keel hangs off the rods attached to the joints between the struts. But what is carrying the considerable weight of the planking? I suppose some of the new oversize ribs must be tied in to the support struts, but there did not seem to be all that many of the grey painted ones in the central part of the ship. It was interesting also to see the original diagonal steel bracing strips  - now we know that Herreshof did not actually invent these!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:39:15 am »

There is a similar problem with supporting the hull of HMS Victory, excessive weight on the keel compounded by the shrouds for the masts being anchored on the surrounding uayside and also exerting a downward pressure instead of pulling against the hull.

Colin

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 09:53:28 am »

You make an interesting idea of Bankers Bonus Colin. Perhaps this could become a new term? To describe something obscene like a big sum of money? A shady deal? Or many other dodgy Things. John.

CJ

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:08:13 am »

Very interesting. Presumably the reinforced deck beams are struts to keep the ends of the external support struts apart, and the keel hangs off the rods attached to the joints between the struts. But what is carrying the considerable weight of the planking? I suppose some of the new oversize ribs must be tied in to the support struts, but there did not seem to be all that many of the grey painted ones in the central part of the ship. It was interesting also to see the original diagonal steel bracing strips  - now we know that Herreshof did not actually invent these!

Tobyker,

Yes all the ribs are tied in to the support struts into the dry dock, most of them are hidden !!

CJ

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 10:09:52 am »

Haven't watched it myself yet - good ol SKY+ ....was only down there last week and she is looking amazing  :}

At least it has a great fire alarm going on board now  :-)) .

Hopefuly won't burn down again  <:(

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 03:41:35 pm »

Her's me at the wheel, some years ago...50+
National Health glasses and Pak-a-Mak

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 03:45:28 pm »

Nice Hitler Haircut  O0 O0
Fashionable in the thirties  :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 03:47:03 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dave301bounty

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 04:10:13 pm »

Some terrible bashers on a very good and interesting show ,plus all was explained ,funtimefranki,that was a good pic .  just shows y,that who gets to keep their historic ships .

catengineman

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 07:15:48 pm »

Have visited her twice, once with the school and once to take my children there.
I will revisit her when all is again ready.
It is on ships like this that you get a feeling our life at sea is cushy

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 10:53:41 pm »

a super programme about a super ship.Perhaps they should rename her"phoenix" as she has certainly raised from the ashes in more ways than one. Its good to see lottery money spent on something worthwhile,I cant see anyone objecting to this. Good to see we still have the skilled craftsmen to be able to do the job. For years she was in Falmouth harbour, but long before I came here to live. I will let the restaraunt be built,and a few thousand visitors to it, before I venture to go there, and sit under all that weight!
Mick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.