Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sabre Rattling?  (Read 6418 times)

pettyofficernick

Sabre Rattling?
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:21:30 pm »

It would appear that HMS Dauntless is to be deployed to the South Atlantic. Routine says MOD, but is it, considering the current fuss he Argies are making?
 <*< <*< <*<
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16810417

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sabre Rattling?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:28:29 pm »

As the runway is vital to the protection of the Falklands. It would appear that the ships deployment is to prevent its loss. I do wonder how well the ship would perform if challenged. Hopefully its being there will be a big enough detterent. John.

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:50:15 pm »

What is the state of the Argentinian forces compared with last time.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:11:06 pm »

In Australian television news....we are viewing footage of the violent protests & brick throwing by the  <*< <*< <*<Falkland nationals against the arrival of Lt Wales.......

I do not question the motives of the young officer......however wonder if the protests had escallated specifically due to his heritage ....both past & future?.........

Really no different to his younger brothers stint in Afganistan when exposed by the worlds press...... >>:-(...........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:21:10 pm »

What is the state of the Argentinian forces compared with last time.

I did read the other day that the Argentinians are still using the same Skyhawk aircraft they employed 30 years ago, less the ones shot down of course.

Colin

Rex Hunt

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:27:56 pm »

Flt Lt Wales (RAF) is a serving Officer,the same as any other and as such should not be exempt from any posting.
I hope people realise he is flying A RESCUE helicopter with a humanitarian role.
It is normal for ALL aircrew on the Rescue squadron to be detached in turn for their 'stint down South'

Good Luck to him......he is doing better than HRH Royal Marines(failed)!

Rex

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 10:31:58 pm »

Wouldn't it be interesting if he was involved in rescuing the crew of an Argentinian fishing boat? Would it be appropriate to use EU fishing quota rules and throw them back?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 11:47:24 pm »

Rex....I do not dispute nor question any of your comments here about ...'Flt Lt Wales (RAF) as a serving Officer' ........ however his current posting appears questionable

The media in Australia suggested that the withdrawal of Prince Harry from Afghanistan was for the safety of his fellow Officers & men...lest some dingbat terrorist  >>:-( or insurgent  <*< used the Prince as a target

Could not the same issue be considered as valid with Flt Lt Wales & his fellow Officers & aircrew members? ...

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ZZ56

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 12:22:09 am »

If Argentina wants to take over a part of the British Empire and control it for themselves, why not just emigrate?   {:-{ :P

Grub

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 12:42:19 am »

Seems to me the Argentinians are whipping up anti British hysteria in South America, so it wouldn't surprise me if they boycotted the Olympics which then should of course make it easier for us in the football {-)

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 12:51:04 am »

Rex....I do not dispute nor question any of your comments here about ...'Flt Lt Wales (RAF) as a serving Officer' ........ however his current posting appears questionable

The media in Australia suggested that the withdrawal of Prince Harry from Afghanistan was for the safety of his fellow Officers & men...lest some dingbat terrorist  >>:-( or insurgent  <*< used the Prince as a target

Could not the same issue be considered as valid with Flt Lt Wales & his fellow Officers & aircrew members? ...

That was because he was in a war zone and an Australian
News outlet had started posting his exact position on the web!!!

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 07:56:55 am »

I would love to see the Falklands declared a republic in its own right by Britain and the UN, & then apply for NATO membership & a seat at the UN. Let the Argentinians chew on that for a while. Oh what fun that would be. Mick B.
Mick B.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 09:00:52 am »

Its an interesting idea about Nato and the UN By the time that lot had reached any sort of decision the Argies would have forgotton what the origenal plan was. John.

nhp651

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 09:39:54 am »

If Argentina wants to take over a part of the British Empire and control it for themselves, why not just emigrate?   {:-{ :P

I wonder if you would emigrate to somewhere other than your home, if the Yanks or the Ruskies or the chinese invaded your home country because they thought they fancied your home turf.......I THINK NOT!!!! %% %% %% %%

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 10:01:39 am »

30 years ago the Argentine had a far right wing government and domestic unrest that they needed to distract a repressed population from.  We had a far right wing government that was intent on cutting back our armed forces, an early part of which was the removal of the RN presence from the area.  They saw the opportunity and took it.  Had they been able to wait another year, the only thing that we could have raised would have been a diplomatic protest.
Now they have a right wing government with a domestic situation that they would like to distract their population from, we have a right wing government intent on reducing our armed forces.  Since we have now eliminated our mobile airports and the aircraft to go with them, they know that they only have to be lucky once.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

triumphjon

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 11:53:18 am »

there is only one reason the argies want the falkland islands  OIL  ! i have it  on good authority its been found and they are in the process of extracting it , at the present moment its being funded through a sister company in the uk , namley the gosport ferry company ! !

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 12:04:45 pm »

there is only one reason the argies want the falkland islands  OIL  ! i have it  on good authority its been found and they are in the process of extracting it , at the present moment its being funded through a sister company in the uk , namley the gosport ferry company ! !

They have to finance the new 'international terminal' on the Gosport side somehow, can't write it off like Duckhouses.....
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 12:08:46 pm »

I wonder if you would emigrate to somewhere other than your home, if the Yanks or the Ruskies or the chinese invaded your home country because they thought they fancied your home turf.......I THINK NOT!!!! %% %% %% %%

Seriously it is happening. O0 O0 O0

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 12:16:00 pm »

Its an interesting idea about Nato and the UN By the time that lot had reached any sort of decision the Argies would have forgotton what the origenal plan was. John.

Just a little nit pic to show am following the thread, NATO is, North Atlantic whereas Falkland Islands is Southern hemisphere like OZ.

raflaunches

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 12:34:15 pm »

I think people need to read the papers and understand that the Argentininans would not be able to invade like they did last time.
Last time the islands were only defended by a small detachment of marines who did Stirling service to defend the islands but were hopelessly outnumbered.  Now there are a large force of British army and RAF personnel with three RN ships patrolling the area.  The Argentininans would not stand a chance against modern destroyers like the Dauntless and modern fighters like the Typhoon who guard the air space.
People are saying we need an aircraft carrier and Harriers to defend the Falklands because that's what happened thirty years ago, but I mentioned earlier they have to get past a Type 45 destroyer which can engage multiple targets at once and 5 Typhoon fighters (which even the Yanks will not fight against) which can out manoeuvre any aircraft in current service worldwide and carry huge amounts of anti aircraft missiles.  The Argentininans as pointed out by Colin still only have what they had 30 years ago so what chance would out of date aircraft (which were out of date 30 years ago) have against all that?

Nick B

bobk

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 12:55:22 pm »

I believe the retirement of HMS Endurance in February 1982 was a significant factor in indicating our lack of resolve in supporting the Falklands community, plus PM Thatchers statement to the Party at the same time that she believed the small detachment of Marines were sufficient to deter invasion.  This only a month after the unauthorised landing by scrap metal ship Constantino Davidoff on South Georgia.  If only the clear warning signs were heeded . . .

ZZ56

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 08:57:17 pm »

No, I'm talking about Argentinians emigrating to the UK, not Falklanders leaving the islands.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 09:09:35 pm »

I think people need to read the papers and understand that the Argentininans would not be able to invade like they did last time.
Last time the islands were only defended by a small detachment of marines who did Stirling service to defend the islands but were hopelessly outnumbered.  Now there are a large force of British army and RAF personnel with three RN ships patrolling the area.  The Argentininans would not stand a chance against modern destroyers like the Dauntless and modern fighters like the Typhoon who guard the air space.
People are saying we need an aircraft carrier and Harriers to defend the Falklands because that's what happened thirty years ago, but I mentioned earlier they have to get past a Type 45 destroyer which can engage multiple targets at once and 5 Typhoon fighters (which even the Yanks will not fight against) which can out manoeuvre any aircraft in current service worldwide and carry huge amounts of anti aircraft missiles.  The Argentininans as pointed out by Colin still only have what they had 30 years ago so what chance would out of date aircraft (which were out of date 30 years ago) have against all that?Nick B

Surprise.

Complacency and a "I can beat them any time attitude" has lost many a battle.
For example, take the Iraelies when the Egyptians cossed the Suez, Egypt caught Israel napping and beat them hands down.
However due to rapid counter attacks, lack of Arab support  etc etc etc Israel was able to prevail.

Saddam rattled hi sabre and look what it cost.

Moral of the story, take the sabre away, or stop it rattling now, otherwise pay the consequences.

nhp651

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 09:10:42 pm »

Ahh, sorry, wrong end of the stick..........can't comment on that scenario as I haven't got a clue who enters this country anymore. %% %% %%

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 09:21:12 pm »

Niether does the Government or immigration control. John.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.