Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Slipway Tsekoa II  (Read 20538 times)

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
Re: An explanation
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 06:35:06 pm »

Right, I think a backstory is needed to explain how shes ended up on the wrong side of the atlantic  :D

I'm going to make it so that Holyhead Towing bought the Tsekoa to use as a general workboat based out of Holyhead harbour (where I live).
I've been doing some experiments in microsoft paint using a picture of the model I found on the internet (forgot where I got it from) and came up with this little eye-catcher :)

Personally I think it looks pretty smart in this livery, what do you guys think? And do you think I should make any alterations to the colour scheme? Got to come up with a suitable name now, preferably a local one  %%

Cheers,
Sam
"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws" - Douglas Adams

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Slipway Tsekoa II
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 10:18:41 pm »

that doesnt look bad at all  :-))

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 10:43:57 pm »

Got to come up with a suitable name now, preferably a local one  %%

Cheers,
Sam

Doesn't the 'Duchess of Cambridge' live on Anglesey?

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 11:09:57 pm »

Looks great to me. I find it interesting when you make a model your own - as opposed to "out of the box" so to speak. Well done on a great model  :-))
Cheers,

-Adam-

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 05:57:37 pm »

I've decided that before I go any further in the buld the hull should be painted so I don't break anything. The first coat of paint is on the hull and I've come up with a name for it that fits. So meanwhile I shall continue to build up the cabin and start to think about the electrickery

In accordance with other Holyhead towing boats being named after a river, this vessel is henceforth to be named the Afon Trip  :D

Cheers,
Sam
"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws" - Douglas Adams

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 06:26:40 pm »

A little bit more microsoft paint magic on this picture gives me what I think I'll use as the final paint scheme with a redoxide work deck with bow and cabin decks in grey and with a red crane as is a feature of this livery. At the minute I'm undecided as to the colour of the mast. (This picture isn't of my model , heres where i got the picture from http://navi.modelisme.com/article719.html )

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 10:28:34 pm »

what about blue or even black for the mast ?

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 08:49:41 pm »

REVENGE OF THE CARPET MONSTER!!!  >:-o

I've somehow managed to lose the locker that goes on the upper deck and the bucket rack, complete with buckets! they're not tht small eiter so don't know how I managed to lose them  :embarrassed:  In other news the mast shall be black

As I'm feeling pretty damned sad and depressed at the minute due to other goings on in my life, I will maybe be doing a bit more work on the boat which might hopefully take my mind off things a little  :((

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2012, 03:06:18 pm »

Sorry to hear that things are not going well for you. Hope it all improves soon.

As for building to take your mind off things, I find that works a treat. Get yourself immersed in the build for an hour or two, put on some decent music and it's surprising how the blues float away for a while.

The build is looking nice by the way - and the 'artist's impression' of the finished product looks like a winner.  :-))

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2012, 05:23:18 pm »

Thank you spook  :-)  You are right it does take your mind off things quite a bit, I've been quite down in the dumps lately so as they say every little helps

I've wired up the mast with grain of wheat bulbs and also built up the dinghy crane that goes on the back of the superstructure, photos to come soon.

I have been thinking lately of building 2 rear deck hatches, one as the standard kit form with the crane and such and making up one which would make it look a bit like a tug boat and maybe allow a bit of towing  :-)) 

...if I design it right so it doesn't come off  %)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2012, 06:07:07 pm »

Sorry to hear you are feeling so down, and our weather won't be helping much either. At least you can be sure there are lads enjoying your build. I like the crane much better in red just as it is in your latest scheme. I'll be interested to see what you come up with overall - make it your own way  :-))

Dave

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 08:01:23 pm »

make it your own way  :-))
Yup! I usually do  :}

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 08:45:00 pm »

Hi everyone,
I've not forgotten this, its just worked down the pile of bits to do what with the start of work on my land rover (if anyones interested [size=78%]http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f6/1976-series-3-rebuild-202564.html[/size] )

In fact I even finally got round to making a stand the other day out of a broom handle and a couple of pieces of ply. I'll post up the pictures of the slight progress I've made when I manage to find my camera cable :)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 05:04:04 am »

It is nice to see you back on your build, I think the weather & winter has been getting to us all. I am trying to get up to speed again after having a stroke. I am the kind of guy that never sits still but my present condition gives me few options. I was all revved up to build my boats & then I got a rude surprise. Still I am a lucky guy as I have all the tools, even got a lathe & mill before the stroke. I will watch your build all the way, your work up to now is first class & I hope your troubles are fewer now. We have a saying in Ireland for our friends "May you be half an hour in Heaven before the Devil knows you are dead", However I hope you have lots of building time left yet. Mick B.
Mick B.

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 03:57:43 pm »

Thank you for the nice comments :) I wouldn't say it's the best built boat in the world but I'm happy with it :)

Right then heres the pictures, I've realised I've done more since the last update than I thought

The stand, this was made using a jigsaw to cut out the shapes from a piece of ply. The round bits of wood holding it together were cut off an old handle for something or other.

The foredeck has been fibreglassed in, this still needs some filler around the edges. Somehow 1 side is 1mm higher than the other but fortunately its not too noticable

I've been having a go at the wheelhouse roof and I've put the LEDs in the mast :) Just need to wire them in soon. (The roof won't be glued down so I can change the interior if I want to, I'll think of some way to hold it securely, maybe headphone jacks? )

You'll have to excuse the mess, I'm sorting the room out for a car boot

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 08:35:08 pm »

Got a little bit more done this evening. I've now installed the anchor winch :)

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2013, 11:44:45 pm »

Right, I'm back!! Not had much chance with sorting out my land rover and school and stuff but now I've had a bit of a chance to do a bit more and get in gear :)

Wired up a speed controller and got it to work, just got to get a Y lead now so I can sort them out properly :)

I've also made a start on the rear deck hatch, doing the box thing that goes on top of the hatch. Handrail stanchions are all on the cbin and I've done thew top rails to the cabin by bending with pliers, Plus I've built the aft control box thingy.

Pics to come shortly, that is if people are still interested in this thread of mine :-D

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 12:35:47 am »

Picture time :)

The handrail and the aft control box thing

Started to fit these

Cut out the starboard door and tidied up the hull cut outs. (If you wonder, i did start experimenting with deck planking but i ran out of wood :/ )

The deck hatch box thing (ignore the big stain halfway down, I didn't look what I was doing properly and glued the hatch cover in the wrong place :D )

The aft deck is yet to be glued in, hence the droop

I don't think I've shown a picture of these working but heres the mast lights (grain of wheat bulbs I think) Temporarily powered by one of the the main batteries, I need to make up a proper circuit. I think they're quite effective, I shall have a light in the cabin and port and starboard nav lights and I have 1 spare for somewhere else, possibly a worklight on the deck with the boat.

With the other lights off

Its good to get back into model building :) I hope these pictures interest some of you :)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 03:57:29 am »

Its good to get back into model building :) I hope these pictures interest some of you :)

Yes the pics are of interest and I hope there are more to come.

Dave

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2013, 03:07:34 pm »

Cheers Dave, No photos yet as not a lot has happened, however I have set up both ESCs and the rudder servo. Now I just need to connect up a circuit and build a housing for the rudder servo and I can take it for a spin on the local lake :)

Sam

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2013, 09:51:07 pm »

Well it all works now (the motors and servo anyway) :) Took delivery of a Y-connector lead from cornwall model boats, connected it all up and it runs nicely. Just got to put proper connectors on the ends of the wires, secure the motors and servo, run everything neatly and the running bit is done :)

I will see how she handles on the water and then I'll see if I will fit the bow thruster but as a few have said its meant to be a very maneuvrable boat as it is!

Found out I'll have to reglue the foredeck as for some reason, its coming away from the hull. May have to get the araldite out :D

I have also took delivery of 12 more grain of wheat bulbs so hopefully will get all the deck lights to light up :D I seem to have forgotten about a light in the wheel house though :/

Anyway, more progress to come. (I have an apprenticeship now at the boatyard so no excuse now really when it comes to boaty things xD)

P.S: I may have bought a revell flower to go with it too ;) Hopefully that will have quicker progress than this one :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.