Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making YouTube clips  (Read 2454 times)

bobk

Making YouTube clips
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:51:31 pm »

I have a new camera on the way to better capture photos of my boat activities. The Fuji HS20EXR has much better zoom and macro facilities than my little compact.  Incidentally it can also make short .MOV movie files.  Turns out that .MOV is one of the formats accepted by YouTube.  What I would love to do is be able to edit some short clips together, adding titles and soundtrack.  Anyone done this?  What software would you recommend for Windows XP. 
I guess MOV is used as it is not Microsoft licensed.  ie Quicktime.  I have read that MS Movie Maker gets upset with MOV unless you have a latest high spec spec W7 PC, or requires it to be converted to another format first.
Anyone into YouTube clip creation, please advise.

HawkEye

Re: Making YouTube clips
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 09:34:17 pm »

Hi Bob,
I don't produce video's for youtube but for every other use I find that Cyberlink Power director does the job fine, YouTube does have it's own online editor that may be sufficient and can be found here - http://www.youtube.com/editor.

Or a browse through some of the Open Source free editors may also provide what you are looking for - http://savedelete.com/best-free-windows-video-editing-software.html   :-))

Regards

Tony

bobk

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:46:53 pm »

Thank you Tony.  I will check into those.  I just fancy uploading some video of my ships, and thought it might be interesting to merge a 'dockyard' close up sequence with a clip underway on the water.  Titles and ability to add background music would be really neat  O0

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:09:51 am »

I use movie maker for videos, camera files are .mov and wont load in to it, i just use a downloaded free converter ( loads of videos about them on youtube ) to make them go into movie maker, then export from movie maker to a youtube file or on the other movie maker version i convert using the free converter to get it to youtube

bobk

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:57:32 am »

Thank you.  I had looked at MS Movie Maker, but as you say either will not take MOV without convertion or upsets all but the latest high spec PC's.  I have been looking into the free YouTube editor that Tony recommended, the latest version of which takes most formats, trims joins captions and with a nice selection of transitions.  Running online in IE you are editing in a reduced preview as the files are already uploaded, which eases pressure on local memory.  Downside is audio is limited to their library, and if you use it overlays adverts.  However looks like fun for basic editing without added audio track.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:17:23 pm »

Another thumbs up for Power Director on the windows platform. I haven't found a format that won't edit yet, and believe you me I've tried to find one . Did have stability problems in the past, which caused it to crash quite a lot, but the foibles seem to have been ironed out with the latest versions (I'm using version 9).

On Linux, I find Openshot is very user friendly, and powerful.

A lot of these editors come with bells and whistles, and Power Director is no exception with a plethora of silly transitions and mickey mouse titling which I ignore completely. I stick with basic titling, usually white on black, simple fades and the occasional lap dissolve or a straight cut.

A couple of tracks for audio is usually sufficient for me. I remember the good old days of analogue video, where you had to contend with +/- 5 frames of editing accuracy (if you were lucky), a linear editing process and one dubbing track which was fairly low-fi, and annoying drop out on the tape. which would often ruin a decent shot. I remember it once took me the best part of a fortnight to edit a 5-minute film which had to be cut on dialogue. Nightmare.

bobk

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 05:10:45 pm »

Ta.  I will try the simple YouTube editor first as that is free.  At this time that may suit the basic editing I am looking for.  If later I decide to be more creative then I will buy of the software packages recommended.  Hopefully the camera should arrive this week and I can have a play with its video capability.  

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 06:33:51 pm »

What resolution are the movie clips? If they're HD, I hope you computer is a fairly recent model, else you may find it coughs and splutters a bit- HD is tough nut to crack.

bobk

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 06:59:05 pm »

"What resolution are the movie clips? "
No idea.  The new mini SLR camera is on order.  My PC is an older XP, which reviews on the MS editor warn will keeping hanging up using this.  Hence why I'm looking for something simple without need to convert formats or hold multiple files in memory plus the edited result too.
The main thing I want the camera for is taking photos of rc boats, with a decent s/w stabilised zoom and macro.  If I can also join a couple of movie clips with titles that would be a bonus.  Can't justify another PC though.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 07:22:58 pm »

mov file is just a wrapper. I've looked up the spec of your camera, and I see it can do 1920x1080 and it records using H.264 codec. That means you'll get some stunning looking film, but your computer may struggle to edit it. I found to fluidly edit Full HD, you need a computer with at least a dual core processor, preferably quad core e.g. i5 or Phenom II processor. You can drop the resolution you film at, but that kind of defeats the object of getting a better camera to begin with.

Be glad to be proved wrong, but I think that PC upgrade may have to be justified if you want to wring out the best from your new box brownie.

bobk

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 07:50:03 pm »

Thats what I feared Subculture, so maybe that idea will have to go on the back burner for now.  Only my third digital camera, and the first to have video capability.  Perhaps for now I could just YouTube a single clip of my latest build when it sea trials fairly soon.
Next priority will be getting my delayed K sub back on the slipway  :} 

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 08:17:41 pm »

If that's the only alternative, you will probably need to drop the resolution you film at. You might be okay filming at 720P which will still look fabulous and should play on an older single core machine if it has a graphics card, which will help deal with a lot of number crunching.

BTW upgrading is a lot cheaper these days than it used to be. I upgraded my old single core athlon xp machine to a Phenom II for well under £200. All you need is a mobo, processor, stick or two of memory and perhaps a new hard drive. I reused the case, DVD drive and even the PSU was up to the job.

bobk

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 09:20:20 pm »

My first ever YouTube movie was simply uploaded to YouTube, then titled and annotated as part of the upload process.  More simple then I thought, and almost no resource loading on my PC.  The camera produces .MOV files so no translation required.
Their edit facilities look reasonable too, trim and join clip togther, selection of transitions, all done in your browser.  Should do for my needs at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cl_HNu06WY
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.