Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Alice Upjohn my 3rd build  (Read 64445 times)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
Re: Alice Upjohn my 3rd build
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2012, 01:27:25 am »

Thank you for your remarks and interest guys, much appreciated :-))

Hello John, butt out? - never!  thanks for the tip and I'll definitely keep it in mind, that bit's on the back burner at the mo', but I know exactly what you mean and it's a spot on method - cheers :-))

Ta Ta all, me.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2012, 04:28:02 pm »

Hello folks, have decided now to carry on with the cabin as there's so much to do inside, and will then progress with the superstructure to its fullest extent.
Floor side bearers were next to go into the superstructure, mainly to ascertain the correct height for the front bulkhead.  I've an idea, but still not yet convinced as to how to bring the cabin together at the end after fitting all the finished internals, and yet still to be accessible and be supported from underneath. Hopefully with a few pics you may be able to follow what I mean.
So - bearers in using epoxy resin.

Now the front bulkhead, ply is supplied for this but I prefered to use styrene sheet - saves a lot of prepping.

I've a few concerns now  {:-{ In the review it's explained that a few items wouldn't fit on the bulkhead as per plan without a bit of surgery, compromise and juggling - and now I see there certainly doesn't look like there's much room on the bulkhead to play with.
        I'll crack on and clean up the fibreglass. I sometimes find that filling ,filing and sanding can be either theraputic or boring - I'd had enough at the end of two days on this one O0, the considerable variation in fibreglass thickness didn't help, especially around the window and door openings, also keeping in mind that when lit up, any bad joints will really show up, ain't gonna be able to get inside to use filler or suchlike.

Oops! thought I'd roughed the surface up enough   :((%)

Right I'll try the CT1

Rough cut out the openings to save unneccessary filling and sanding.

Much better  :-))  Now how we lookin'?

Not Happy, something isn't right, there's just nowhere near enough room on that bulkhead and there's no way could anyone sit in that cabin without banging his/her (!?) head. After a LONG time studying and looking at the plans, re-reading the review, and re-reading the instructions untill I was bored ****less, I was getting nowhere - then my good friend turned up, (he doesn't wear specs  {-) {-))

This is how it was

Will have to stop and try to post now - imaging software keeps locking up - back later hopefully.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2012, 08:45:43 pm »

Think pics are ok now so try again, and this is what my eagle eyed friend spotted

And this dummy only studied this one!

This is what I should have done

In my defence I tried to argue that I cut the coamings as marked as there were no dimensional indication, and with such a high coaming I didn't think it logical to have it only 3mm in height at the back -------------- ok, ok, as expressed by my ex mate, {-) next time I'll try to "RTFD" properly.  {:-{ {:-{
Oh dear, here we go again!

Now to cut off the side risers I'd added which I thought was a smart move (huhh!) and then replace onto the rear bulkhead what I'd previously and confidently cut off!  b****r - wasn't telling fibs though when I said there are a number of parts wrongly marked
spose it keeps yer on yer toes  %)

not too fussed about the bearers (yet!)

Nearly back to rights, more to follow soon, ta ta.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2012, 08:50:44 pm »

Nice one Tony, making you think then ?   :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2012, 10:03:21 pm »

Hello Rich', I really am enjoying this build, honestly!  I found it very difficult at first to accept that in some cases the bits, plans, dimensions  etc etc. can and do contradict each other. I really am having to use so much more forward vision, the plans really are only schematic for visualisation, but they are in fairness clearly marked not to be scaled, that so, I thought there would be much more dimensional info in the instructions than there is, but for me anyway its being a great learning curve and am loving it - I think it's a lovely looking boat and hope to get it looking the part- we'll see, cheers buddy, Tony. 

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 12:46:04 am »

bits, plans, dimensions  etc etc. can and do contradict each other.

Hi Tony

I'm still enjoying the build. It might be an idea when you finish everything and the build is over
(next week then? {-)) to put up a post on what to really look out for - might be of great use to others
building it later .......er generally thick types like me :embarrassed: {-)

Dave

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 01:53:20 am »

Hello Dave, nice to be aware of your interest, but one thing you AINT is a thicko - far from it  O0
      Re possible pitfalls and pointing out the cock ups you may have made is one thing, but others may see things differently / more clearly, so I think it only fair to explain what I'VE done as opposed to what should be done. (It's always easy to blame the guy who's on holiday for everything! -  {-)) What I may of struggled with could well be obvious to others,  especially to builders who've encountered far worse. I'm not good enough to teach grannie to suck eggs, but I'm more than happy and willing to discuss / help anyone with this model - as to what I know from my experiences, doesn't mean museum standards can be achieved though - bit of a b****r for artistic licence me  {-) {-) {-)

Cheers Dave, me.

john44

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2012, 01:26:47 pm »

Hi Tony nice work, at the rate you are going you will need another project soon.

Here are some photos for you, they may help.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2012, 01:59:56 pm »

Cracking model John :-)) I do like the figures, where did you get them from?  the one at the controls would never of sat down in my original cabin  {-) {-) noticed you keep to the 'traditional'(?) colours - I tend to go off beat when painting some of the items / assemblies and use colours I either all ready have or ones I think look "nice!" - they won't be going in a museum so I like a bit of variety but not so much as to make them look silly.  Did they have metallics in those days????  {-) {-) {-)
        The grey colour recommended for the edges is Rover tempest grey, which is really a very dark grey - almost black, yet in the photos and other pics I've seen they look quite a light grey, so that's what I'll use - what colour did you use?

Kind regards, Tony. P.S. like how you did the dials as well O0

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2012, 03:04:47 pm »

Now I think we're on the right track again I'll continue in arranging the cabin floors and bulkhead. To interlock the floor to bulkhead I've added some locating strips around the edge of the bulkhead to make a nice snug fit but allowing easy removal of the floor.

Time now to tidy up the window, door, navigation light box openings, and add the light boxes.

Now to give a quick blast of primer to the inside of the superstructure to see if my raw finger tips were worth it {-)

Definately much better - I'm a happy bunny again now!!    bye bye - post more later

john44

« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2012, 04:19:42 pm »

Hi Tony, at the time of the build they were available from Speedline Models.
I used Rover Tempest Gray.
But I know quite a few modelers who have used grey primer and then lacquered.

Builders license me thinks.

john

heritorasphodel

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2012, 04:52:07 pm »

Just a note, the dashboard, the top of it, the entire roof and the insides of all the windows forward of the sliding doors are should be painted matt black, as this helped the night vision of the crew.

Sorry if this inconveniences anyone.

Andrew

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2012, 05:54:55 pm »

Thanks for contributing Andrew, I've left it primer grey with a couple of coats of satin varnish, not a currently a stickler for total accuracy so I'll not bother changing it now - but its nice to know what's right.  Daytime calls only for this boat then  {-) {-) {-)

Regards, Tony. 

nhp651

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2012, 11:55:54 pm »

Tony....the motors you are using, sorry if I missed something but what sort of revs do they do on 12volts, and did you have them recommended....just wondering whether they would do for my boats or stay with Buhlers.
neil.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2012, 01:19:08 am »

Hello Neil, they are pictured in post No.20 and are T4 Thrustmasters from Brian at Mobile Marine Models, Dave (Metcalf Mouldings)  recommended them and Brian confirmed they would be fine for this model. I have heard on a number of occasions that MMM motors are very good. I can only go by recommendation Neil as I am confounded by the variety of motors - wouldn't have a clue otherwise.

Cheers, Tony.

nhp651

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2012, 07:56:47 am »

cheers Tony..........will contact MMM....
after my last escapade buying two motors for the Clyde which overheated and burned themselves out, within a short while of sailing (electronics and electrics not my strong point.why I don't fit them to my models) I need all the helpI can get, lol

furball

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2012, 11:03:55 pm »

Tony,

These might be a help (or a hindrance... {-)).

Detail pictures of R.N.L.B Mary Gabriel (37-29)

https://picasaweb.google.com/110973410931943058578/MaryGabriel?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCN_hrs_3pdaziQE&feat=directlink

Some pictures of my build of the Metcalf kit

https://picasaweb.google.com/110973410931943058578/MaryGabrielModel?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCO-ypcbS-ovJNg&feat=directlink

(Don't copy the rudder linkage...it didn't work at all!  :embarrassed:)

Lance

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2012, 03:26:27 pm »

Thanks very much Lance, appreciate it, they're really good. The rudder idea may not have worked as was, but I think was a great idea - bit of ingenuity - like it.

Thanks for posting and kind regards, me. :-))

furball

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2012, 04:11:50 pm »

There was far too much slop in those Lego gears.

Lance

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2012, 10:25:48 am »

Making up the parts for the bulkhead seemed like a good idea, having all ready had concerns about the size and fit.

There are also 4 priming pumps that are supposed to fit on the r/h side, but as advised in the review, they didn't - the handles that were too wide caused most of the problem. Trying to trim them I broke 'em, as usual!! - made more a little narrower and also trimmed down the sides of the pumps, JUST about got them fitted in the right place.

To get all to fit on the bulkhead, nearly every part had to be reduced in size untill a reasonable compromise on total fit was achieved.

Did the parts for the rear bulkhead next.

The only fittings to the side of the cabin were two fire extinguishers and brackets, I didn't break these  :D- they were all ready broke! :(( {-) {-)
Getting to enjoy this mini scratch making - used artistic licence for the support bracket.

Seat next I think, no I didn't break this bit either  {-)  I did alter the pedestal slightly though.

I wanted to paint something by now, strange colour I think but hey ho close enough to whats advised.

Next edition - back to the superstructure.

nhp651

« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2012, 10:38:08 am »

and very nice to Tony...............some nice adaptations there.
the brackets for the fire extinguishers are for the earlier Anne Letitia Russell........you are probably nearer the mark with your bracket anyway, and who is to argue with the builder....

a friend of mine used to say at the car rallies he went to with his Austin Seven.....when peoople came telling him that the headlamp glass or this and that were wrong with his car.....he's always reply with a one liner................

"Who's f******* car is it anyway mate"........it would always shut the anorak and rivet counters up, and very quickly too, lol

neil.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2012, 10:53:14 am »

Internal cabin supports were next.

As I wanted the floor to be removable for ease of fitting out and painting, plus not forgetting to be able to insert the notice board / backrest supports at the end, it was now time to remove the bottom bearers and use the newly fitted cabin supports to locate the floor assembly to. I used the fact that epoxy resin is quite brittle to advantage and the bottom bearers cracked away cleanly with no damage done.

I now re-skinned the inside bulwarks (?) the top sides of the floor, with 0.5 sheet to get a nicer join to the cabin sides - took a bit of faffing about but came out ok I think.

I'll think about how to support the cabin floors from underneath later, but I feel now that I can achieve a removable yet completely accessible cabin. Hope to crack on now with with a little more confidence. Post again soon, Ta Ta.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2012, 09:32:03 am »

Hi Tony, you are really moving along with your build & doing a great job too. Your tread is very easy to follow & the photos tell the story very well, keep it up I am looking forward to your sea trials as I intend to build a lifeboat next too. Mick B.
Mick B.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2012, 12:24:32 pm »

Hi Tony

Looking good - how detailed are you going inside the wheelhouse?

Dave

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2012, 03:42:19 pm »

Thank you for your kind comments Mick - much appreciated :-))

Hello Dave, Shan't be adding any real detail to the inside (except lights) other than what's supplied. Would like to have put some decals or something on the dials but nothing suitable at hand, hopefully this is the kind of detail I will consider a little more as I become more comfortable in making a reasonably good model - won't run before I can walk and the batteries in the 'ol brain cells only carry so much at a time! {-) {-) {-)

Regards to both, Tony. :-))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.