Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Alice Upjohn my 3rd build  (Read 64037 times)

furball

Re: Alice Upjohn my 3rd build
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 08:48:34 am »

A tip, if I may...

Make sure you get the two endbox bulkheads absolutely parallel, otherwise the cabin can jam when taking it off.

I.e.  like |     |, rather than /      \.

Guess how I found this out... :embarrassed:

Lance

nhp651

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 09:30:53 am »

I love the idea of strapping the boat to the build cradle.

very handy for initial building

neil.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 11:00:56 am »

Looking good Tony, keep us posted. Dave.  :-)) :-))

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 12:56:26 pm »

Thanks guys, :-))  Hi lance, recently done that bit and your dead right. If you notice in my first pics i.e. 7 & 8 the wooden strip with the centre line drawn along it was for 'squaring off' the front and back bulk heads and to ascertain where the side curves front and back should actually start and finish, as you will have noticed the moulding lines are not accurate and serve only as a guide. I try and use this method all the time (well thrice  {-)) I mark off datum points down the sides of the hull to measure from. I'm sure it takes me longer to set up than build  {-) {-)

An important thing I did find out by setting up like this is that my hull is nearly 7MM WIDER in the meddle on one side of centre line more than the other!!  {:-{ :(( this caused a little concern but could do nothing about it except compromise where I could all down the line.

More coming soon,
                              Regards, Tony.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 01:45:37 pm »

Front and rear bulkheads and deck supports were next. There are location slots marked for joining the parts to the side decks, but I chose to ignore these and glued support braces from scrap to fix to, this gave me the flexibility for adjustment to tweak things till they were right. I tend to be a bit robust where joints and supports are concerned, and especially on the front deck, have added extra bracing beams and I also doubled up the thickness of the rear bulkhead for increased gluing area while adding some angle cross beams to ensure rigidity without flexing. I used plenty of masking tape when fitting the decks as they are to follow a compound curve I found in this instance it pulls the deck into place better than weights - still managed to pull it slightly out of line re the printed guide marks but no great shakes to overcome - I've soon to realise these printed lines ARE only a guide in some circumstances!  {:-{ O0 Dressing the outside edge of the decks are certainly easier to trim to the outside of the hull than cutting to insert inside it, also the joins will be hidden by the top edge rubbing strake.

More soon, Tony.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 02:09:52 pm »

Hi Tony

Post twenty - I like the wedge gauge idea - one for my newbie toolbox :-))

:} I'm not behind on reading the build - I just had a reread of the action so far.

Now I'm going to watch 'The Cruel Sea' and have an ale.

Dave

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 04:40:20 pm »

Looking good tt, no cockups so far then.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 05:07:11 pm »

Cheers Rich - keep watching!  {-)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 03:13:13 pm »

Next up was to set up the rudder & post and try to get my head round how to mount the servo to get maximum throw of the rudder, and yet keep the controlling pin within the confines of the top white metal housing, I had been advised on here that with a bit of juggling with the location /geometry this could be achieved, or use a servo morph from Action to limit the throw. The diagrams that were provided for this were not very clear as all three of them had been printed on top of each other!  %%  Anyway lets take it as it comes. First thing I did was to assemble the top and bottom pins to the rudder post, which is square brass tube. I added a little plastic bearing to the base and as the top pin is threaded rod, I ran a little solder around the thread where the top bearing tube is located to minimise wear.
        The first trial fit of the assembly into the skeg and top housing started to throw up problems, I'm not sure if I've cocked up somewhere or located something incorrectly, although I can't see where, but the gap between the rudder post and the stern post (?) - (the back of the hull) didn't look wide enough. There are two metal plates to be screwed into the stern post between the rudder post and the hull, one located above and one below the centre rudder post bracket - only they didn't fit, they were too thick. I had not altered the skeg or top housing location holes in any way but the rudder post fouled and would neither fit, or be able to move had I fitted the plates provided, not sure what they are for anyway but as they've to be there I substituted them for a little thinner plastic strip and and used pin heads for effect (couldn't see the point of the screws and nuts) - I still had a foul condition! {:-{ :((
        Decided the only way out was to ease and reline the hole in the skeg and the top housing, the housing was a pain, I made a new bush to slide over the original, tilted the rudder post out very slightly, (can see it slightly out in the pic- shame but still) and soldered a steel washer at an angle to suit which would locate the new bush and cover the bodged up hole in the housing
        I barely achieved enough clearance even then but it's ok, cor what a performance, should have just left the plates off  {-) {-)

Hope you can understand my drivel, but if not maybe the pics will help.

Will update again soon, regards, Tony.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 04:37:52 pm »

Oops! - just been pointed out in the last pic the rudder's upside down  O0 :embarrassed: now wonder I have problems  {-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 04:48:28 pm »

I saw that Tony but refrained from commenting as I thought that as the rudder hangs below the keel you had turned it
upside down so save it from any damage during the build.
Having said that It's looking fine so keep the pics coming.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

nhp651

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 04:49:30 pm »

well....she is self righting after all tony, {-) {-) {-)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 05:50:21 pm »

Hey Ned, that would of been a good get out eh? wished I'd thought of that! Anyway speak up mate - I take most things in good heart so long as it's not meant to be genuinely offensive. I'm good for a laugh - it is a hobby after all. Mind you, the missus can't figure out that if I really do enjoy modelling so much, why I sometimes cus {-) {-)

Hi Neil, I wished some of these flippin white metal parts were  {-) I'm beginning to hate 'em! O0

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2012, 07:03:17 pm »

Glad I'm not the only one that is told his rudders are upside down. There is a member of this forum who will remain nameless who tells me I have done this on every build I do.

Sing The White Cliffs of Dover if you need a clue to the member.

Nice job Tony. 

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2012, 08:33:26 pm »

Good ol' Bluebird! We still think your grey hull was blue!  {-) {-)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 09:17:32 pm »

hi ya Dicky and Tony  :D

hey I am an innocent by-stander here - there is nowt wrong with an upside doon rudder man - just means the boats upside doon - think on that  %) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

but its still a canny build  :-))

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

john44

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 10:48:28 pm »

Hi Tony, I see you are not opting for the 2 piece sliding rudder post. 

I agree the white metal fittings are a pain, but as they say no pain no gain  {-)

john

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 12:40:49 pm »

Hello John, your idea is still a possibility, I still have your sketch and nothings glued in yet. At the time however I was having enough problems getting the rudder post to work without fouling using the thickness of one box section let alone two. I'll think on about it later especially if I can come up with an easy way to remove the centre mounting bracket.

Carrying on with the build, the side coaming supports were glued to the coamings which were then fitted in place and the side decks added. For future reference, I'll just add, the parts were fitted as numbered and the coamings were cut to the guide lines as there was no reference made to these in the instructions.

Time now me thinks to see how the superstructure fits over the coamings and between the front and rear bulkheads, (thanks for the heads up anyway Furball!) It's quite a snug fit and has to be lifted on and off vertically and square to the bulkheads. After the usual marking and trimming a nice fit was achieved. There are strengthening / kicking strips fitted around the periphery at the base of the superstructure, these need to look the part and so will be added much later after any movement or distortion that may occur.

Now a part that I was a bit anxious about, fitting the servo and associated operating bits. The actuating pin from the servo arm is to operate within the confines of the top white metal housing which can restrict its sideways movement and thus affect the amount of rudder throw. Also at this point I was aware that, however unlikely it may be, the servo failed there was no way of getting to it once the deck was on, other than cutting a hole in the deck. If this situation ever did arise, I did not want the servo fitted so far to the back of the hull and be trapped under the top housing, this just added to the problem of rudder throw - I wanted to achieve full rudder and servo throw mechanically by judicial positioning of the parts rather than using a servo morph, the servo therefore needed to be as far back as possible to stand any chance - time for a few beers and sleep on it!
         After a slow morning start, I decided to make the servo arm and pin operate underneath the housing rather than within it, and at least I could get full unrestricted servo throw and with a bit of juggling with the connecting bits, get as much rudder throw as the housing would allow, so the method shown in the following pics was concocted. John 44 did come up with an idea of a removable servo without major surgery, but at the time John I'd enough to contend with!
         I was really pleased that I managed to get full rudder throw and the trials went a treat - so on went the rear deck and another trial fit of the superstructure. Was feeling quite pleased with meself now.  %)  {-) {-)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 04:23:38 pm »

A bit more progress. The top rudder housing on the rear deck is designed to sit slightly high at one end which meant having to back up with filler, didn't think this would look so good so I filed the housing down flush to the shape of the deck and planished the top cover to suit with me trusty hammer - making sure beforehand of course that there would be room left in height to fit the rudder shaft locknuts under the top plate. Think it looked better so was happy with it - you've probably noticed I don't build to exacting standards! {-)

After a lot of studying of an MB mag review, reading instructions, looking at the plans and cd photos, I decide to tackle the superstructure cabin floor and internals next, because they were playing on my mind and beginning to shorten my fingernails from head scratching.
      There seemed to be an awful lot going on in there with plenty of detail to be dealt with, and studied as to how the noticed board uprights, which also supports the helmsman's backrest, was to be fitted. They locate from roof to floor and was just one of the many parts that would be inaccessible to fit once the cabin was made up and therefore has to go in at the same time as the floor. Somehow I'd have to figure out how I could prepare, locate and paint all the innards, attach them to their associated bulkheads, and then bring them to the superstructure all together for final assembly to form the complete cabin.

With so much detail inside it seemed deserved and worthy to put in a bit of lighting which not only would it hopefully enhance the parts - it would enhance the rough finish of the fibreglass matting, I think just painting over would make it look even worse, so, something else to consider.

Plucked up courage, bit the bullet and decided to go my own way (not a lot of instruction available for a newbie at all). Started off assembling the floors, lower cabin sides, side steps,(gunwhales? - no idea)and rear bulkhead as an all in one unit as the following pics show.

Bit of advice by the way, when engrossed don't try and pick your nose with dusty hands!  {-) {-)

A few bits of angle added to strengthen the joints and a trial fit - nice and snug, but it ain't sitting very level {:-{ cuz the coamings are curved idiot! doh! ah well we'll add some side packers, the floors have to be level after all!?

Hmmm, the back's a bit high - don't think I allowed that much above the guide line, nicely curved as well - not to worry at least there's more rather than less and besides it's not the first part that's been wrongly marked, trimmed off - sorted!!!

Will post again soon, if my rabbit's a bit boring just say - Posting just pics is easier than two fingered typing

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 04:44:52 pm »

Very impressive Tony even if you dont know what you are doing  {-)

And the rudder is the right way up, excellent. ok2

Speak to you later. :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 04:48:13 pm »

Very impressive Tony even if you dont know what you are doing  {-)

And the rudder is the right way up, excellent

OOO Dickie

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2012, 05:16:55 pm »

Thanks rich', :P ;D   {-) {-)

Hi Ned, see you tried to make the call to Gerry then  {-) {-) {-) - like it.

john44

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2012, 06:33:56 pm »

Hi Tony, looking at the top picture of your rudder post, it looks like you are just using a lock-nut to keep the rudder arm/linkage straight,
On personal experience doing it that way, In use or any knock on the rudder could loosen the arm assy.

You could do with soldering a small piece of square section above the top bush and filing the hole hole in the arm square to fit.
If not you will forever be tightening up the lock-nut.

I am only trying to save you the same problems that I had when I built mine,
If my comments offend you in any way please tell me to but out.   

john

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 07:44:20 pm »

I do like your way of holding the pieces square when 'glueing'.   :-))      I'll definitely try this myself, as I've been holding my attempts against just one vertical piece, only to find my finger has attracted some glue and ruined the surface.   

Cheers

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

nhp651

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2012, 08:01:05 pm »

It's looking a real treat, Tony
and your standards look as good as anyon here...no worries.
neil.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.