Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Alice Upjohn my 3rd build  (Read 64032 times)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
Re: Alice Upjohn my 3rd build
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2012, 08:15:37 pm »

Quick trial to see if photos will load with Imageorg.

A few more bits painted up.

Yippeee at Last.  So......... the next bit is a bit(?) rough and ready, here's the crude but simple method of being able to assemble and remove at will, the front bulkhead, the dashboard and the floor assemblies. I can now fix all the ancillary parts in place and assemble all 3 together afterwards.

I had a real sphincter muscle testing time when spraying the superstructure.  On the last coat (and can) I could see the spray changing from orange to clear and everything in between, then I felt my fingers getting wet and noticed paint dribbling down the can, it was leaking around the neck and I soon realised that what was coming intermittently from the nozzle was pure solvent, I was well underway and had no choice but to carry on and moving round like a demented cat trying to get a full all over cover keeping the surface wet, and hope all would mix equally while the solvent evaporated off.  Luck was on my side for a change, and although not as good as the previous coat, the finish wasn't at all bad considering what could have been a complete disaster.

After that fright thought I'd leave well alone for a few days so went back to the hull. I soldered in the grease/ oiler tubes, made and fitted a little water / grease trap around the universal joints, temporarily dropped in what will be fixed battery carriers after ballasting trials.

Now to see if Dave's electrickery bits work I can follow what it says on the tin! {-)  Magic!! (nice one Dave :-)))

As all worked as it should, now to mount the leccy bits a bit more neatly on a removable board.  Don't know what the board I used is called but it's 6mm thick, as light as a feather, very strong, non conductive, takes cyano a treat and best of all it came free!  It sits on a couple of placcy brackets which are glued to the side coamings. I'm sure you'll appreciate the elastrostretch scientific management system that keeps the spaghetti away from the motors, looks a b----y mess but works!

Fitted brass spring tags at the edge of the board for lighting contacts and mounted a placcy bar to a superstructure crossmember to hold the adjustable internal contacts - (big brass screws - don't think I'll pull 100 amps but Blackpool eat yer heart out.) must source some smaller fixings one day. With hope that all the considerations of component positioning and height etc. were correct, happily a trial fit proved to be ok.

Finally for now I primed up the hull which pleasingly showed very little further work needed before the top coats can be applied, bye bye till the next time :-)).

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2012, 09:41:25 pm »

Looking good mate.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2012, 10:08:40 pm »

it certainly is, tony.
neil.

thebackways

• Shipmate
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2012, 01:14:14 pm »

Good afternoon Tony,

Your boat is look very impressive to date.  I have also fixed my rudder slightly lower than the keel, but think I will leave it as is.  Paint looks really good with a nice glossy finish.  Painting is not a part of the model I'm looking forward to as I have had some bad experiences in the past with paint not taking.  What paint did you use and how much prep work did you do before hand?

Good luck with the remainder of the build and thanks again for putting this blog together and keeping it going. :-))

Regards

Dave.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2012, 04:00:57 pm »

Hello Dave nice to know your still watching. Re painting, well in short there's all ready an awful lot of documented advice on here from experts to which I have taken heed, prepping is everything and paint hides absolutely nothing! any blemishes or bad joints etc show up like a beacon. It really is a case of filling where required, I use a combination of car body filler, chemical metal, and Humbrol filler followed by flatting down using anything from 240 to 800 wet and dry, (I prefer to use it wet when nearing an acceptable finish).  Ensure the surface is clean and greasefree before any coats are applied, I use good old washing up liquid and water and then meths especially on white metal. I use Simoniz acrylic primer (that I bought in bulk off ebay at £2.80 per 500ml including postage), it has good opacity and adhesion and is compatible with all the Halfords and Hycote topcoat sprays that I've used.  Anything that shows up at primer stage is going to look hideously worse after glossing if not re-prepped.  On white materials I use a grey primer first, carry out any rework, and respray using white primer for a second look see.  Using the different colours obviously helps to see any imperfections. Reasonable sized parts I use my little spray booth with my workroom, parts and paint at at least room temperature. The Hull I spray outside on a warm still day, and quite often dunk the spray can in a jug of warm water to warm it up a tad before giving it a wrist aching shake! - works for me. Please accept Dave I'm no expert and am always learning, I've had my fair share of "tears before bedtime" scenarios!  Oh yes, always flat down between all coats wherever possible - not always possible or practical on some smaller items.

Hope this helps, regards and good luck with your build. :-))

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2012, 03:19:18 pm »

Hello folks back again, I hadn't given up but life sometimes has a habit of getting in the way of modelling %)
       After priming the hull time to mask up for the gloss coats, I found it impossible to accurately mark out a line for the blue top part of the hull as drawn on the plan, so I simply marked where the waterline 'appears to be' at a mid point along the hull, took a measurement up from this to the underneath of the rubbing strake and masked off a line parallel to the strake.  The width of a roll of masking tape combined with 6mm Tamiya tape sufficed nicely.  The underside of the strake was not a completely smooth consistent curve so a few minor adjustments to the line of the Tamiya tape was made by eye and worked out well.

Three coats of white gloss, one horrible big blob, a little rework to the blob and all came out well in the end.

While that's hardening off ------- to the dreaded cabin windows!  No matter how careful I try to be I always manage to scuff, scratch or leave a glued fingerprint on these but worse than that I paid the price for haste and learned some valuable lessons for not following logic along the way  O0
       In short I had cut out the window openings following the guide lines impregnated in the superstructure, during a different build session, the window frames were cut out to the outline printed on the styrene and painted up ............... they didn't match! :(( <:(   From the outside some of the frames only just covered the aperture and even then had to be a bit on the squint to the profile of the cabin, and looking from the inside out they looked flippin' awful, barely 0.5mm of frame showing in some places and up to 4mm in others so not only did they look ---- it made marking out the gluing areas a nightmare.  This may not be so important if you can't see inside the cabin but you can on this model, especially if trying to enhance it with lighting  {:-{ NOT a happy bunny.

Memo to me, next time, never mind what's marked 1) cut out frame templates 2) check size and shape against cabin profile 3) allow enough margin and some room for glue 4) consider what the frame may look like from the inside including the colour 5) cut out the apertures in the cabin/superstructure wall to match the frames allowing equal coverage around the periphery --------- write out one hundred times I must ...............
       Just gotta live with it now so with a bit of cutting and carving achieved the best of a bad job that I could.  For the five front windows I marked out for best fit and where I could remove paint for gluing, cyanoed the frames in, used a black felt pen to colour the inside and used non fogging cyano for the glazing.
I then re-painted inside the cabin around the windows matt black to try and deceive the eye, helps a little.

For the two rear orange windows I tried a different method. Positioning where the frames should go I used Tamiya tape as a guide lines, felt penned the inside of the frames, and applied thin VHB double sided tape to same, stuck them in place and placed the glazing against the tape from the inside. No glue or fingerprints, no paint removal, no mess - great! (VHB = very high bond)  After all of this decided to do something simple and less stressful so I painted the nav light boxes and removed the masking tape from the wet and dry paper that represents the nonslip areas.  Leaving on a happier note for now ok2 :-))

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2012, 10:27:39 pm »

Hi Tony looks like you are enjoying the build, she,s looking good. :-))

john

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2012, 01:05:25 am »

Thank you john, yes I really am thoroughly enjoying building this model.  Not too long ago a member started a thread about striving for perfection and the dissapointment in not achieving it on the current build, but being more determined on the next, well I can fully concur with him. Fortunately however I'm at that stage in life when you know you can't teach experience and accept that to excel takes practice, it can be well frustrating learning the hard way, but learning it is and once bitten as they say - despite the cock ups I'm loving this model and that's enjoyment enough for me.

Cheers John and regards, Tony :-))

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2012, 08:10:09 am »

You really are working hard at making it look the best, your paint has come out really well. I like your idea of heating the can in warm water before use, we learn from each other every day if we take the time to read the threads. I have as you already know followed your thread right from the get go & it has been well worth the effort. One day/ week I hope to make it across the pond & share a pint & a few tall stories with all you forum guys, it is a real pleasure to share ideas with you all, thank you Tony for the thread & hope we will soon be sharing our Tamar build. Mick B.
Mick B.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2012, 08:39:39 am »

yesterday I couldn't see any of the pictures you had posted tony...all I was getting was little squares with red crosses in them........

today I can see her in all her glory......and she looks great...no need for you to worry about the quality of your workmanship....it's super.
neil.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2012, 03:57:04 pm »

Thank you lads, most kind and much appreciated. :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2012, 06:10:15 am »

yesterday I couldn't see any of the pictures you had posted tony...all I was getting was little squares with red crosses in them

Me too - but I thought the problem was at my end (ongoing Talktalk type problems).

It's all coming together nicley Tony - you'll soon be looking for another build.
How about a french lifeboat with the beaks hull?

Dave

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2012, 11:19:08 am »

Which one is that Dave? not too well up on the many models of boats>

Regards, Tony.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2012, 11:54:26 am »

one of these here, Tony....    http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=35108.0

they're a Vegimite boat, like a Tamar.....you either love them or hate them.......personally I love them.....stunning lines.
neil.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2012, 01:54:22 pm »

http://www.pilotmag.co.uk/2008/01/08/new-pilot-cutter-design/

SEXY!!!!!  that's the shape - I'll look for some lifeboats later

Dave

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2012, 02:18:24 pm »

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2012, 05:29:21 pm »

Yes I do like that hull, don't know if that's just because it's so different, easy to see why they call it a beak!  I love the Xbow style of hulls as well.  Thanks for the links and info guys. :-))

Regards, Tony.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2012, 12:34:15 pm »

Cracking on with this build now and hopefully will get this posting done before anymore 504 timeouts, having a belly full of these lately - getting a bit miffed now it's becoming a real bummer what with not being able to get on, time outs, loss of notifications, etc. so I can just imagine Martins' frustration. {:-{ >>:-(
        Anyway on we go, needed to extend a fair bit of the wiring for lighting, I used the wire from an armature winding off an old motor, no idea if it's adequate but it works ok so I'll risk it.

Most of the ancillary parts now painted ready for final assembly.

Fitted the dashboard in place - a bit crude but it works and makes for easy assembly and removable if necessary.

Remainder of the parts was then fitted to the floor and front bulkhead and again screwed together to make it another easy fit and removable assembly. The latter of the next two pics show the locating tabs for screwing this assy to the hull bearing supports.

Here's the completed assy fitted to the superstructure.

Finally for now the next pics show how I used the backrest supports for the cabin roof light contacts. The stripped down parts of choccy blocks glued to placcy angles fixed to the floor base allow vertical movement to adjust the pressure of the uprights against spring loaded contacts in the cabin roof.

Ta ta for now. Tony.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2012, 10:34:58 am »

As all the parts for the superstructure have been completed, thought I would finish this off before returning to the hull.  As usual clumsy mits managed to knock a few chips off the edges of the superstructure so a few patient sessions of touching up were needed. Using the same paint I sprayed a couple of shots into the can lid and built up slightly above the required thickness of paint, let it harden off and a gently rub with 1000 grit wet and dry with a dab of T cut brought it down to level which blended in ok. Here are a few pics of the outcome.

thebackways

• Shipmate
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2012, 01:12:56 pm »

Good afternoon Tony,

I would just like to say that you have done an incredible job  :-)).  I hope that mine works just as well, especially the paintwork.  I look forward to see the final fully assembled boat and the pictures and report on the maiden voyage.

Regards

Dave

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2012, 04:11:43 pm »

Thanks Dave, yes will keep you informed however it goes. Paints hardened off nice on the hull now so won't be long before she gets her backside wet to ballast up and see if she floats! mind you I've still a bit to do but barring any more cock ups we're on countdown I think.

Regards, Tony. :-))

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2012, 04:07:14 pm »

Hull now painted.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2012, 04:25:43 pm »

Looking great Tony, a real credit to you. Note to myself- I should keep upto date with builds more.  :embarrassed:
I'm hoping to get building again soon after I move house for the second time this year at the weekend, not done any building in 6 months.  %%  Hopefully catch up with you at some point, see you maybe going to Ethrow? I'll hopefully be up there too.

Keep up the good work, Dave.  :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: May 10, 2012, 06:53:58 pm »

OOOhhh, that looks very nice tony. Hope I can reach the same standard with my paint..........I ain't too good with that area of modelling, lol.

now, I have to ask a favour of you if possible please.

Could you send me a copy of  the snippet in your instruction book for the Rother about how to construct the Drogue, and if you have a sketch or plan for the same, I would really appreciate it.
I have 4 to make for these boats of mine.
cheers, neil.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2012, 10:08:09 pm »

http://www.marinewatchnsw.com/library/seamanship.html

there is a little diagram of on the above that looks nice and do-able - not sure if the type is correct for you?

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.