Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Talking of tugs...  (Read 9167 times)

Patrick Henry

Talking of tugs...
« on: February 07, 2012, 09:02:34 am »

I bought this recently from Ayrshire Andy, who in turn bought it from Norry, I believe....

I've had a bit of a tidy up here and there, installed two new 385 motors, an Mtroniks Viper esc, and an eight cell 3300a/h battery pack. It's not for towing, just for day to day sailing on the lake.

Can anybody tell me what full size boat the model would have been based upon, please?

Rich

nhp651

Re: Talking of tugs...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 10:34:13 am »

It's very similar, Rich, to a small workboat that plies it's trade up and down the Clyde on a daily basis........I don't know what it does or where it goes, but it comes from the Greenock/Glasgow end of the Clyde, and we see it when on holiday, daily....my daughter reckons it's stalking her, lol.......wouldn't have a clue what it's name is though.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:42:02 am »

Ther is another like it on the Humber.
It's normally a long way from my vantage point
but next time its out there I'll see if it comes up on AIS

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Patrick Henry

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:45:46 am »

I would guess there's a Scottish connection with your man Norry building it (I presume he built it?)

Thanks for the help, gents...hoping Norry will pick up on this topic. At least it'll be easier to take to the lake than my Neptune is...and easier on my back too.

Rich

Deep Diver

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:51:51 pm »

Could it be a free plan from Model Boats?? I do recall a plan form some time back that looked like this.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:24:17 pm »

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:28:54 pm »

...Hi Guys...

I,ve just spotted this posting and the invite to join in...

I,m afraid I didn,t build this model, I bought it as one of a pair from ex Forum Member "Sea Mariner"...It is very similar to a Damen Multi Cat Workboat...I found them to be of too small a scale for our Harbour Layout so i sold them both seperartly on to other members...
The other boat was a model of the "JESSICA S"...Here is a picture of them both together...

The one you see on the Clyde is the "TORCH" which is used as a bouy servicing vessel throughout the Clyde...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Patrick Henry

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:38:32 pm »

Thanks for that Norry, much appreciated.

Now we know what it isn't!

Thanks for the help,

Rich

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:49:43 pm »

...Hi U-33...

When i bought the 2 boats from Dan there was only one deck crane with the 2 boats...

I fitted the Orange Deck Crane to your boat...The Yellow Crane was from the "JESSICA S"

There are loads of these type of workboats all over the world...

If i remember right, your boat might be a model of an ex Holyhead Towing workboat...

I hope this helps...

Please post pics of her on the water...

...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Patrick Henry

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 07:40:53 pm »

Thanks for all the help, Norry...I'll take some more pics in a couple of days, just got a few more detail bits to add and a touch of weathering, then once the water becomes wet again, I can try her out.

Regards,

Rich

Andy_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 07:49:41 pm »

Hi Rich dont know if this is any good to you but these were taken from the ferry out of Thrso (think that how it is spelt ) not the best of pics as they were taken through a window just thought it would make a nice model it be of some use to you
Andy

Right which one will I do next?;)

Patrick Henry

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 08:15:48 pm »

Great, thanks Andy...I think it's Thurso, I know it's perishing cold up there!

What's that on the stern..looks like a huge drum or something?

Rich

billyboy

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:16:43 pm »

Thats the Whalsa Lass registered in Lerwick owned by Delta Marine  :-))

BB.

tugnut

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 08:32:15 pm »

Hi Rich her is one down near me at Ramsgate, looks similar

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 09:09:21 pm »

Rich,
One of the advantages of these multi-cats is that they are very easily modified for sometimes each job.
Just fit the additional equipment to a heavy steel base and bolt or tack weld to the deck.
One vessel can change quite drastically in even one season!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 09:21:09 pm »

Thats the Whalsa Lass registered in Lerwick owned by Delta Marine  :-))

BB.

By heck, BB...Lerwick, eh? I remember it well, a beautiful place. I haven't been in years now though, so I wouldn't have seen the boat in the flesh. Thanks for that...I'll google the boat.

Bob...I never realised that tugs could be so interesting, and I certainly never realised that they could change their appearance so drastically. And so quickly too!

Tugnut...very similar looking boat that, thank you kindly for the picture.

Rich

ayrshire andy

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 09:29:22 pm »

Hi Rich, Bob, Norry, Tugnut, Andy K, Neil, Ned, Fred and billyboy!

Thanks for the inspiration all, these excellent little vessels do indeed change layout rapidly, I only posted it to our Rich late Friday afternoon and look how much he's done already...would have taken moi about 3 months...if I really worked at it... :embarrassed:  

Patrick Henry

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 09:42:08 pm »

I wondered where you were, Andy!!

That's one advantage of being retired, you know...24/7 modelling!!

Rich

Patrick Henry

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 09:14:28 am »

This is the interior layout of the little tug...

Just waiting on the proper motor couplings to arrive from MMB, and then we can carry out ballasting trials in the domestic testing facility.

Rich

Patrick Henry

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 10:43:14 am »

Don't know what this bit is called (a wave deflector?) inbetween the pusher knees, but the full size boats seem to have it fitted, so mine now has one fitted. And yes...I made it out of wood! Good old Sainsbury's coffee stirring sticks superglued to a piece of styrene.

Rich

billyboy

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 11:31:27 am »

Its a bowdoor to stop water from flooding the deck when underway in rough seas  :-)) The older and smaller types of multicats have like you have fitted, timber framework which is lifted in and out of position using the deck crane, the more modern types are hydraulic as in this example ;

http://www.seacontractors.com/bestanden/Flyer-Mulicat-Zwerver.pdf

BB.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 12:27:06 pm »

That's something else I've learned...thanks BB, much appreciated.

Rich

boyracer081119

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 02:35:57 pm »

...Hi Guys...

I,ve just spotted this posting and the invite to join in...

I,m afraid I didn,t build this model, I bought it as one of a pair from ex Forum Member "Sea Mariner"...It is very similar to a Damen Multi Cat Workboat...I found them to be of too small a scale for our Harbour Layout so i sold them both seperartly on to other members...
The other boat was a model of the "JESSICA S"...Here is a picture of them both together...

The one you see on the Clyde is the "TORCH" which is used as a bouy servicing vessel throughout the Clyde...

hi norrie ... i have just built the other multicat from ( coastal launch services  the people who own the sarah gray and the jessica s .) ... the sarah grey .... i would love to know where your sessica s is now and if she is for sale ?? as i have worked on both of them

Patrick Henry

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 10:37:00 am »

The motor couplings have arrived (thanks MMB) and are fitted, and the tug has been in the bath...she sits a bit high to the waterline, which is good, that means I can squeeze in an extra four cells to bring the voltage up to 12volts. I did sit a four cell pack on the deck and it didn't seem to make her sit any lower in the water...result there. The other plus...she's as dry as a bone inside after spending an hour on the water.

The crew are now onboard, just waiting on some tyres to arrive to go round the hull sides, and I just want to tidy the cabin roof up a bit, add a new radar scanner, and we're about ready for her maiden voyage.

Thanks to all of you who helped me with the endless questions, Andy for sending the tug to me in absolutely record time, Norry for his invaluable assistance, and BB for explaining what was what and where it went....thanks guys, much appreciated.

Rich

farrow

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 02:56:27 pm »

I thought thiese pics may interest you, SERCO in Devonport Naval Base bought this vessel in to do odd jobs round the harbour, which where not suitable for conventional shaped vessels, plus to see if it could do light mooring tasks and run large stores to vessels in the sound.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.