Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Build of Vintage Model Boats version of the Sea Scout ....  (Read 29774 times)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Re: Build of Vintage Model Boats version of the Sea Scout ....
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 10:16:22 am »

if the propeller is well matched and your running sensible voltage (dont know what that is) then overheating may not be such a problem, the water scoop doesnt neceassarily need to be in the prop wash either just as long as its pointing forward into the oncoming water resistance, but that depends on the speed of the craft.  %%

what water pickup have you got? which hopefully

I've not actually bought the battery yet so that one is up for debate ...though I do have the engine I've mentioned.... The Graupner 600 8.4v which I'm hoping should give it a nice but not terminal speed  :D  At the moment I have this water intake and outlet set which I got from Cornwall Model Boats  .... which I'm hoping should do the job but again it could be changed...  :-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

MikeA

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 10:40:15 am »

I used those water pickups they do the job well. I found though that their was a bit of plastic flashing in the scoop of the pickup which was blocking the intake. Right inside the square hole. So i used a drill bit to rebore and clean up the stem and a small file and stanley knife to clean up the square hole so as water can flow nicely as its a bit of a sharp 90 degree turn.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 11:47:00 am »

I used those water pickups they do the job well. I found though that their was a bit of plastic flashing in the scoop of the pickup which was blocking the intake. Right inside the square hole. So i used a drill bit to rebore and clean up the stem and a small file and stanley knife to clean up the square hole so as water can flow nicely as its a bit of a sharp 90 degree turn.

Cheers ! That's just the sort of thing I need to know, I'll check all that before I fit it.   O0
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 08:14:13 pm »

Hi Mike

I can see you have put a lot of thought into your modifications
list, and she looks good so far - and I am sure will be great when
finished.

I was looking at the photos of the rudder post hole (in replies 8, 9, 13).
There doesn't seem to be much meat left on the ply? Would a little
reinforcement be needed? or is it really ok? Always hard to tell from photos.

Dave

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 08:33:54 pm »

I was looking at the photos of the rudder post hole (in replies 8, 9, 13). There doesn't seem to be much meat left on the ply? Would a little reinforcement be needed? or is it really ok? Always hard to tell from photos.
Dave

Hi Dave

Actually it's as per the makers spec and quite a bit stronger than it looks at the moment and once the rudder tube is epoxied into place it will toughen up even more.  However I do intend to reinforce the whole area before she goes on the water, but as the position of the inlet for the water cooling is going to be rather crucial, I'm going to get that in first and make sure I'm happy with its position before I do that particular job ... then I can make sure its going to take all the stresses and strains that are likely to arise .... I hope !  %%

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 09:14:30 pm »

Ok Mike - rudders get the odd hard knock and that's why I mentioned it.
Yes - it makes sense waiting to sort the placementof the water scoop first.

Dave

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 03:03:00 pm »

The decking goes on apace, quite a slow pace tbh but there's no hurry or so I keep telling myself  %%...  I've kept the mahogany on the deck to just the King Plank and on the stern, as I intend to fix a 3mm varnished Walnut top rubbing strake and toe rail which will be plenty of colour on the deck when the black caulking is in. Another day or two should see the Planking itself finished and then it will be on with the caulking.   :o

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 10:24:06 am »

Well, the deck planking was finished and now comes the nerve-racking part, the caulking !  The deck was given about five coats of Eze-Kote and allowed to dry and then I made up a mix of a fairly dark wood-filler and black acrylic paint and liberally applied it to the deck with an artist's palette knife.  The worst of the surplus was then scraped of with a silicone spatula (from the kitchen  :embarrassed:) and the lot left to dry ..

I am now going to check that it's dry and then sand everything back to the wood .......I'm going, and I may be some time   :((........

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 02:12:00 pm »

Phew .. that was a job and a half !  :o   Still, it seems to have done the job, I've also popped a couple more coats of Eze-Kote on to the deck to  protect the surface and I'll soon be cutting it back with some very fine wet and dry before getting the first of many coats of Varnish on but first I want to get the top Walnut rubbing strakes on, so they blend well into the deck surface when being varnished......  One of the more stressful jobs over with though and a quick photo to show what it looks like....  :D

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 03:46:01 pm »

I have used that caulking technique once to good effect, similar thoughts entered my head omce the model was buttered up. One of our older members then suggested using a Stanley knife blade as a scraper to remove the mess, and 'by eck' it worked..The moral being, always listen to your elders, there's certainly a number of them in boat modelling circles! Very nice build of a classic design, keep up the good work :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 07:52:55 pm »

I have used that caulking technique once to good effect, similar thoughts entered my head omce the model was buttered up. One of our older members then suggested using a Stanley knife blade as a scraper to remove the mess, and 'by eck' it worked..The moral being, always listen to your elders, there's certainly a number of them in boat modelling circles!

Yes, I used a blade to start with which did it good job of removing the worst of it but as these are thin veneers I thought I'd better be careful and wet wet-n-dry did the job nicely .  Anyway I'm glad that little job is over with , there are easier jobs.. !    O0

Dannysfod

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 04:38:09 pm »

Hi mike,

Can I ask, what is the advantage of the water cooled motor you have? I was looking to purchase the motor supplied by vintage model boats as a new comer to the hobby but if there are advantages for your method, I would look at purchasing the motor you have.

Kind regards

Daniel

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2012, 06:04:06 pm »

Hi mike, Can I ask, what is the advantage of the water cooled motor you have? I was looking to purchase the motor supplied by vintage model boats as a new comer to the hobby but if there are advantages for your method, I would look at purchasing the motor you have.
Kind regards Daniel

Well Daniel,  .... and at this stage this is all theory as I'm winging this as I go,  .... I've seen a couple of rebuilds of the early Sea Scout that used this sort of sized motor to give the boat a bit more .. oomph, ... so to speak,  %%  and the result of that is that a motor like this tends to get a tad hot, the water-cooling is there to assist that problem .

If this is your first build you might initially like to go down the route that Vintage Model Boats advise, to get it on the water with a tested system from them that definitely works and then perhaps, make some alterations later, should you wish....  Anyway, if I get mine on the water before you, I'll let you know how advisable the idea is.  :embarrassed:

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 03:03:14 pm »

I fitted walnut rubbing strakes instead of those supplied, as I wanted the varnished wood effect next to the sycamore. I've then used the wood supplied to make two spray rails along the chine joint which I've seen on the original versions. They should aid the boat and also act as additional rubbing strakes when needed.  Also added a couple of bits of walnut trim and just about to start in the well detailing that next as well as working out the best way to fix the walnut toe rails .... it's all go !  :D

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 09:17:31 pm »

Those spray rails give her a sort of rakish look - a nice addition.

Dave

Dannysfod

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2012, 06:44:25 am »

It looks good that Mike, I like what you have done with the planking.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 10:35:47 am »

As I have a specific crew and use planned for the Sea Scout (more of that later  :embarrassed:)  the next job was to pop a bench seat and driver's seat in for the skipper and crew which was carefully sized and made to fit them, luckily the figures are roughly in the 1:12 typ of scale I'm building to. All of this being built onto the designed removable floor that came with the model.

Having raided the "bits box" , the folding back chair was made using some scrap wood, brass rod, aluminium tube and a steel washer. The bench seat carcase was made of some scrap timber too and then covered in veneered planking, as was the floor and faux engine hatch. The lid of the bench seat is removable as it's intended to hide some elctrickeries in there later.  :-))  Next job will be the cabin door and instrument/wheel panel which will all be fixed to the bulkhead

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 12:41:38 pm »

I note that there seems to be less of a gap between the planking in the cockpit, compared to on the deck?

I have never planked a deck with veneer strips, and wonder how you arrange the gap. Do you glue each plank down with spacers between? Are the planks beveled? or is it just done by eye?

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2012, 01:00:02 pm »

the figures are roughly in the 1:12 typ of scale

Hi Mike

That looks nice ,and you have me hooked now wondering about the 'crew' (don't tell me yet though). I
like small boats to have figures

Thought I'd ask you about the figures though. Now I understand how if a real boat is 12m, then the 1:12
model is 1m and how to scale the figures ..... because you have a known dimension. I'm trying to work out
figure sizes for my old 1950s Hales Spraymaster runaround and I don't know what scale she is supposed
to be. 24" long, 8 1/4" beam, 2 1/2" freeboard. If you have any idea a pm will do rather than mess your
thread up

............ and I'm interested in what DG just asked O0

Dave

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2012, 01:37:40 pm »

I've done the decks with a more "decorative" caulking effect that was done using a thin plasticard spacer to judge the distance between each plank, whereas the well planking is virtually a butt join, it seems to give about the right sort of look that I'm after.  Planking with veneers seems to work well but there is just the tendency of the veneers to curl when they are wet with glue that you have to overcome, so have plenty of clamps to hand. The Aliphatic does grip quite well though so it doesn't take long to set in place and then the plank has a good waterproof base.

Dave as far as scale is concerned with the Sparymaster, I've no idea as to what the exact scale is and therefore unless anyone else has the info, you're going to have to just go with what looks right but I would have thought that the scale has got to be about similar to the Sea Scout and therefore a figure of between five and six inches would look about right or the same scale as most standard doll's house kit.  If you know anyone with a doll's house you could 'borrow' a figure to try it in the boat  :}

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 09:05:04 am »

I wanted to put a small instrument dial on top of the wheel/console unit I'm building so a quick scour around with Googly images produced a few suitable ones and after a quick photoshop montage modification job I came up with this ..... the build of the console is under way........

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 11:21:21 am »

Whilst building the steering console, I decided that it would double as a place to have the main on/off switch for the electrical systems. On the basis of "If anything can happen, it will " I like to have that switch easily to hand in case of problems..    %% The size of all these parts being scaled to fit the skipper when he's installed later.

Also following my general principle that anything mechanical or electrical should be easily accessible for maintenance or replacement purposes, I made the unit a stand alone one that just bolts to the main bulkhead and I've drilled a hole in that for the electrics to the switch to pass through. ... The skipper's strategically placed duster on a hook hides the switch when operational  :D  Cabin Door also knocked up out of mahogany veneer with a walnut stripwood surround and brass bits out of the bits and pieces box for a handle.   All woodwork, as I go along, is being given a protective coat of Eze-Kote ready for varnishing later.

wavedancer

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2012, 11:10:32 am »

I have been reading this with some intrest as i too am building the sea scout , and one comment that has been made and I do, agree upon is the fixing  for the motor which to  my mind spoils a well thought out construction of the said boat.........That said I will adapt a different engine mount and run the sea scout on a 545 motor.....pictures to follow at a later date

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2012, 06:48:01 am »

I have been reading this with some intrest as i too am building the sea scout , and one comment that has been made and I do, agree upon is the fixing  for the motor which to  my mind spoils a well thought out construction of the said boat.........That said I will adapt a different engine mount and run the sea scout on a 545 motor.....pictures to follow at a later date

It's great to see another version is on it's way and I'm looking forward to reading your thread and seeing photos of your build.  :-))

One thing I may have not made clear, it appears, is that the current engine mount and bed is a temporary one that is there to allow me to make the multiple adjustments to the power train that I'm sure will be necessary.  Not having the faintest idea how this engine will work in this boat with the current prop, batteries, cooling, coupling etc. that I've chosen, I've made the whole thing totally removable and adjustable so that when the boat is finished and ready for the water, I can run tests.  ..... At that stage it will be a simple matter to make change anything as the motor comes out very easily for disassembling the total drive system.

When I've tested everything then and only then, when I'm sure everything works, will I build and install the final engine mount.... which though it will still be easily removable, will be of a more solid and aesthetically pleasing construction..  :D

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2012, 01:41:32 pm »

Well, while the forum was down I actually got a bit more done to the boat ! ...  :D

I've mainly been concentrating on the bits of detail as you can see. The brass flagstaff holder and flag I purchased but knocked up the staff itself from some walnut I had knocking around as was the screen base and post. I made the screen itself from 1mm acrylic and the white surround to it is some 1mm Plastruct U section. The wooden upright of the screen has a brass rod hidden in it's construction that goes right through the roof to keep it strong and rigid. Fairleads are commercial brass ones and the Sampson Posts again made from wood and bits of brass I had knocking about.  I made new handrails as they needed to be shorter and as I wanted them in varnished wood I thought they would look nicer in Mahogany than the ply ones supplied.

I'm just about at the stage now where I need to throw some paint on it !  :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.