Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build of Vintage Model Boats version of the Sea Scout ....  (Read 29777 times)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Re: Build of Vintage Model Boats version of the Sea Scout ....
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2012, 10:42:58 am »

I haven't posted here for a while as I've been busy putting on many coats of paint on the boat and I'm not yet even half way there! Still it's starting to look a bit better so a quick photo to show the process.

It's quite difficult at the moment to show the correct colours in a quick photo but the hull is actually a nice antique white/ cream colour that I produced from mixing two Eze-Kote colours, the White and Creme De La Creme, which has produced just the typical fifties/sixties look I was after, these coats were all hand painted on. The cabin Sky Blue is also Eze-Kote rather typical of the boats I see here every day on the quay.    Next job will be to paint inside the well and get the red underwater colour painted on, probably by Spay Eze Kote this time.   All gloss surfaces will be then sprayed with a Clear coat to finish it off but in the meantime, back to the red......

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2012, 03:31:04 pm »

Finally there's been a nice enough day to get outside and give the bottom of the boat a spray ! ... I took advantage of it even though it was a little cooler than I wanted but it's unlikely that we are going to get decent temperatures this side of midsummer's day !   Paint is Eze-Kote enamel again and seems to have gone on very well, two coats so far and I may leave it at that with just a few coats of Clear on afterwards, as it's covered extremely well.....

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2012, 03:29:55 pm »

Latest job on the boat has been to put the name on the Stern that BarrieW had very kindly cut for me in gold vinyl and made a brilliant job of ! Thanks Barrie, you're a star  :-))   I've also put some  gold strip at the anti-foul junction and one higher on just to liven up the boat.

The Skipper and crew as you can see have been aboard to check progress   :D  and next I have the final varnishing and painting to do as well as fitting windows and then all the electronics, propshaft, rudder etc., which have been trial fitted but now need to be made permanent....

I have plans for a few extras to the boat for W&G including some sound if I can work out how to do it but I shall make sure the darn thing works OK before I get to that stage  {:-{.... I'm hoping this is all going to be done before my grandson comes over from Japan,  the boat is being built for him to hopefully sail at my club with his grandpa.  :-)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2012, 09:32:55 pm »

Hi Mike

Just found you again post meltdown - my you have cracked on.
Very nice it is too - love the crew.

Dave

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2012, 10:44:28 am »

Ivan has made himself a fabulous flat pack high level  boat stand.  Shame I did not take a picture of it last week when I saw it.
Wonder if he will add that to his web site for the kits? He also had about five new kits with him ready to add to his web site. He has also made himself a neat little boat on the same "Lesro" lines that he calls Mr Tom.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2012, 11:09:22 am »

Having now managed to get many coats of varnish on the hull, without too much in the way of fluff and debris, the boat has now gone through a quick trial in the domestic testing facility with some positive results :-
  • It didn't sink
  • The engine/propshaft alignment appears to be OK, the prop turns nicely with no binding
  • The motor appears to have more than enough power with this set-up, nearly empting the testing facility with a quick blip of the throttle and emptying the contents on the bathroom floor...  :embarrassed:
  • After throwing the servo reverser on the Planet 5, the rudder now appears to work in the right direction too. ..  :D

As you can see it all fits in quite nicely with room left for some additional electronics planned later, I'm only using a short 2200 mAh battery pack at 9.6v as the size is perfect across the hull. For prolonged running I shall just buy another of the same to swap over when it runs down. Trials at the club will determine just how long it actually runs for in practice..... The Speed Controller is an Action P80, which seems to be perfect for the job, again, trials will determine exactly how well it performs but tank tests look good.  :-))

The Receiver has been tucked away safely under Gromit's seat, which has a removable top and is well away from other electrics and water and the Receiver Battery is hidden under the Well Deck in a waterproof container as it's down near the bottom of the boat.

Just a few more bits of detailing before the lake trial, I've ordered some cream cotton fenders for a bit of safety and I already have cleats to affix when I work out where they need to go to put the bow fender etc. in the best position.

Not long now then before the official sinking launch!  %%

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2013, 05:42:29 pm »

Hello Mike,
I have read all through your build post on the Sea Scout and what a pleasureable read
it has been - Have you finished now? I note there are no entries after May 2012.
I have two Sea Scouts from the original kit issue. One is complete and running the other
will be one of my refurb tasks when the spring arrives.
I have installed a Graupner 600 7.2volt motor as this revs somewhat higher than the 8.4v version. However I note you are running on 9.6v!
Recently took on board large amounts of water in a reversing movement in error! But all electrics seem to have survived!
Nordlys...

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2013, 06:27:34 pm »

Have you finished now? I note there are no entries after May 2012.
Nordlys...

Yes Nordlys, the Cruise-O Matic is now finished and up and running, regularly !  %%   ... In fact to end the build log I'm just waiting for my nephew to come out with me, with his video camera, in order to get a decent video of it on our club lake to put on here, which hopefully will now be quite soon if only this rain would stop..  >:-o

It really is a great little craft, loads of fun and yes, on 9.6v it's what one might call ... a little frisky ! .... In fact the powers that be in our club have relegated me to the half hour on Sunday's on the lake when fast boats only are allowed on the water, so as not to put the others in jeopardy !  :embarrassed: Which can't be bad for what is basically an old design in wood and a small one to boot. .. Wallace would be proud !  :D

Two Sea Scouts from the original kit issue ! .. Wow lucky chap !  :o Do do a log on here when you do the new refurb, I'd love to see that and have you any photos of them at the moment ?? .. Les Rowell  designed some great boats and the more on the water the merrier as far as I'm concerned, especially the originals. Back in those days I was a young chap who couldn't afford what I thought were the greatest kits going, I'm only pleased eventually to have done this one and am hoping to do another this year ... I've done a lot of scratch building over the years since then but these have a real place in my heart.

Great to hear from another Sea Scout owner !  ok2

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2013, 07:41:58 pm »

Mike,
Here are two photo's of my Sea Scout in the colours of Frankel
the racehorse (upholstery)
I gave the boat to my son who sails her on Tobacco Dock and Spirit Quay
in Londons Docklands.
She is back with me now for an overhaul following the water intake episode.
It too moved very fast and would need some room! Your club were right to be cautious with you!
Resized these photo's for this site so hope it works ok.
Sorry, can't get the pictures to upload. Used to work ?

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2013, 08:14:13 pm »

Mike,
I think this might have worked.
Nordlys.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2013, 09:46:31 pm »

That's looking really great nordlys, like the colour scheme ! .. You've gone for the same sort of cream, two tone look that I thought was of the period and tried to achieve. I think your son has more room in docklands than at my club lake, I tend to run out of room pretty quickly and full reverse gets a fair bit of use on mine too to stop it at the other end..  :D . Another quick photo of mine ..

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2013, 10:50:01 pm »

Hello Mike,
Yes, they are very much the colours of that time - 60's, very nice. I have my battery below the steering wheel compartment, being just 7.2v its that bit shorter than an 8.4v and fits very neatly across the boat - midships.
I rather like the idea of a gold stripe too - its very suited to the colours you have chosen.
You have given me many ideas for when I begin work on my 2nd boat.
Thank you! Its a model to be very pleased with.
N.....
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.