Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Make this simple thrust vectoring mechanism for our boats and tugs..  (Read 10294 times)

rathikrishna

Good Evening..Friends..modelers..Colleagues..whenever we realizes, that we need some complicated mechanisms for our crafts, we have ample of options..most of them are buy from a local hobby store..but, sometimes we instantly realizes that our needed things are not on the list..and some times it may far beyond our reach because of the heavy price tag..then we corners, and think, ourselves as, oh..can do on other time..and some of us think, i will start to take over duty,and make money to buy it..and we will buy it somehow..but again realizes that that purchased unit is not much apropriate for own works..so, we will make a craft with a specification to the purchased material or stuffs..result..? a great desperated satisfaction..why..? and what for..? while we can make our own stuffs..

here i am working on my new tug, is a mini one, can hold in palm, but still she must be powerful, and yes intended to pull or push a big craft, with her's immense power..but because of the smaller size, it is not possible to fix a conventional shat system on this tug, even with a steeper angle..if so, there must not be any place to accomodate any battery and electronics..so..? only way to fix the power drive train in a vertical manner, and by avoiding the conventional rudder system.. :-)

rathikrishna

Re: Make this simple thrust vectoring mechanism for our boats and tugs..
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 04:17:15 pm »

to avoid the conventional shaft prop and rudder mechanism, its, yes, correct, all we know that we need a thrust vectoring mechanism..means a unit that holds the propeller and its driving gear under the hull, and it must rotate from its pivot axis, for steering controls..so, to save time i looked in some known places..but the price list was too shocking..i realized that with that money i can make at least 30 to 40  1:28th scaled crafts..and from its specs i know it wont works to my standard..so, turning again to work table..

all you know, this is not my first thrust vector mechanism, but sharing it in detail, because some of my modeling Friends asking for some idea about a mechanism like this..its all cool..
it will be very goose fleshing, while we drive a car with world class engineering..we feel ample of excitement at that moment..if so, imagine we driving a car, with same performance, but, the entire car made by ourself..!! so exciting..!!

like that, we can make all needed things from things around us..most of the time we never notice the importance of the materials around us..and all it works for years..without any trouble..nicier than a commercially available one..and sheer satisfaction..and excitement..  :-))

rathikrishna

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 04:29:56 pm »

whenever we thinks about a thrust vectoring mechanism, we thinks about heavy magnesium or brass gears holding all in a water sealed pod..and makes it heavier and battery eater..but here you can see how simple is to make a perfect thrust vector mechanism, with handy things..all expalined things are only a key, and you can use any apropriate materials,with you..size..materials, motors all up to you..and one request..never consider these efforts, as because of my disability to buy anything, but if we buy all needed things then what will be our contribution in to our modeling..? so, we must research our own..again..again..at last sucsess.. :-)

here, according to my idea, the intented tug must be powerful..so, a fast reving prop with less angle is not a good mach..so, i have to make an entire unit for the purpose..including the prop..so, start..

all we know, a vertical thrust vector mechanism must contains two tubes, one is a holder tube, (most outer one) while the second inner tube is for altering the angle of steering, while a thirdth shaft, not tube is intented for driving the prop..briefly, steering and driving process happens simultaneously..

so wee need two tubes, that one holds the second one within..so, i turned to a ball point pen, and a piece of brass rod..to my experience a ball point pen body shell is very nice for most of the RC boat application..you can use anything apropriate to you, like brass tubes..carbon fibre..anything..

rathikrishna

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 04:34:50 pm »

the second thing in our need is driving shafts..you can use any rods..but i prefer the 4 mm bicycle spoke, as its one end holds the thread set up..makes even more easy..

when we think about toys..we laugh..but never under estimate the toys..especially about the silicon gears are far better in applications..lives longer..
so i scrapped some gears as crown wheels and pinions from toys..there is no restrictions in size and number of gears ...can use any type..but make sure its a crown wheel as we have to shift the angle of drive in to 90 degree...

rathikrishna

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:38:06 pm »

we can use any motor..type..or size..but here i have to make sure its a tiny one as possible..but with a high RPM..to get a high torque..

can also use any motor..an ECM..or MCM..

rathikrishna

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:41:23 pm »

now make sure that the inner tube is just free in outer tube..it must not be jammed, but make sure not too loose...

and make sure the drive shaft is not tight in inner shaft, but make sure not too loose...

rathikrishna

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 04:43:59 pm »

so..now we can see the two tubes and driving shaft in order...

in detail..

rathikrishna

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 04:49:46 pm »

now..we got the shafts...and tubes...now time to make prop..

as i said before, the craft must pull or push with great force with irrespect to the size of the craft..so, i made a prop greater in diameter..so, i purchased a aluminum vessel lid..for Rs 15/-

make three circles as shown..

rathikrishna

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 04:53:49 pm »

take a meat mincing scissors, and cut it with ease...

grind off any flashes all around and make the tip sharper as possible..and place it on a paper, the paper is with a marked circle, in 120 degree each, can be done with a simple protactor, from a school geometrical instrument box..mark all three angles..

rathikrishna

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 04:56:56 pm »

now the prop is in hand..but still not completed..as we have to bend the blades later..
now time to fix prop on shaft..
take a spoke nipple for the same spoke that we took earlier, and make sure the threads are sound..

rathikrishna

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 04:58:53 pm »

Ohh friends..will be back..Mom calling for medicines and food..she is anger on me..

rathikrishna

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 05:31:37 pm »

now split the spoke nipple in to two, as shown, while keeping the round base of the spoke as back nut of the prop..can be cut with a junior hack saw with a high speed blade on it..while holding the nipple on a vice. one of the benefit of using the nipple is, very ease of manipulation because of its sqare shapes at angles..can also use apropriate nuts..but, as the nipple is brass there are no rusts..

now insert the first piece of nipple at back, then prop then the balance piece as shown..

rathikrishna

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 05:38:31 pm »

can see the back side..
now time to bend the blades..Friends, you can bend the blades, according to the geographical natures of your place, as the corriolis effect affects on propeller, and here in my place it is feasible to bend it in to a direction, in to counter clockwise, while looking from the back side of the craft, as in my experience, a craft with prop rotating in to a clock wise direction, tends to lean to the ooposite direction in a long run..so final determination is yours..and please do not bend the blades too much at beginning, as we can bend it later to a great angle, if nessesary, and can achieve an optimum performance from set up..here, i avoided a foil like bending, because this prop is intended to work on both directions..as it meant for a tug..you can simply bend it with a nose plier..

rathikrishna

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 05:47:08 pm »

you can clean the tips and can sharpen the tips even more now as the tips are out off in an angle..a sharp blad bites water more easier..so low load at motor and good performance to a given power set up...
now carefuly watch the photograph, and see the simple brass piece is inserted between the crown wheel and prop, while leaving two galvanized washers to the side of the propeller, to avoid any tightness in shaft, with the inserted brass tube, in working pressure in either directions..this piece of brass tube is meant for to serve as a simple bearing..

now attach a second piece of brass tube as shown..hold it tight and make sure the angles are correct...

rathikrishna

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 05:51:32 pm »

see it closely...its all simple..
and attach some piece of stiff ( 104:12 type) foam board..as shown..use 72, or 76 grade cyano glue is cheaper as 30 Rs for a bottle..take extreme care while working as it can stick on any surface in fractions of a second than a domestic one..

rathikrishna

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »

oh..connection is too slow..God..
some more close up views..see its nothing..but we feel some thing complicated..see..all simple..no..simplest..

rathikrishna

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 05:59:14 pm »

now make sure the free running of the gears..apply a little oil to it..not much as we have to paint it...
now..time to fix the mechanism on craft...take your craft..may be anything..and one of the privillage of this type of propultion is very quick response in steering, and less space consumptions..and also no loss of prop angling..

make an apropriate hole on craft with point iron, or with round file..insert the outer tube, the ball point pen body here..and make sure the positioning..

rathikrishna

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 06:01:53 pm »

glue it from inside..after cutting the tube for desired length..
now the mechanism on craft...

rathikrishna

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 06:05:30 pm »

you can see an added aluminum mesh above the gears to protect it from weeds and fishing threads if have any..
and time to paint..i sprayed it with copper cloud..metallic..while leaving the driving portion..

rathikrishna

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 06:10:08 pm »

now..time to fix the motor..see the simple set up..with same nipple..its easy..but works to a great standards...
one of the most unused part of a servo is a circular flange..so have ample of them..so can use it vigourously..

rathikrishna

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 06:13:35 pm »

so, all fixed..time to check out..will it work..? especially at high speeds and high loads..?

rathikrishna

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 06:19:10 pm »

yes sure..my testing longed about an hour, at lake, and she is far powerful, and at high RPM, she can even pull a scow..and well balanced also..added 200 grams of led weight..so perfect..see the test video of mechanism here..will add craft video as i finishes her by tomorrow..its my chubby tuggy..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBVQesvfeZ0

rathikrishna

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 06:27:41 pm »

Friends..whenever we complete a craft we think we learned some thing..but we realizes still we are learning..making each craft is s new lesson..and innovations..are new..and we must contribute some from us..its sure..then only crafts lurks around us..to make some nice crafts we do not ample of money and a lifetime efforts..a little money for a lunch..and two or three evenings..one on water..or in land..or in air..and merging in sheer pleasure of RCyiiiiiiiiiinnnnnggggggggg..............woooosh...and wroooooms....so..come in all...make a lots of crafts..and RCyit..all.... :-) :-))

HawkEye

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 09:40:47 pm »

Krishna,
I thoroughly enjoy reading all your posts and would like to thank you for some interesting ideas that you put forward building these items.  :-))

HawkEye

rathikrishna

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 03:54:43 am »

Good Morning Hawk..its all simple..but effective..make a lots of crafts.. :-)) thank you..
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.