Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Make this simple thrust vectoring mechanism for our boats and tugs..  (Read 10300 times)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
Re: Make this simple thrust vectoring mechanism for our boats and tugs..
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 07:40:55 am »

Krishna,

I think you will find that you're model won't turn at all, or at least will hardly turn.
She will probably move sideways instead.
That is because your thruster is pretty much midships placed, and as there's only 1 thruster there is no momentum, and it's a momentum that makes a vessel turn.
You'll need to add 1 thruster (maybe behind or in front of the original thruster as moving the current 1 will probably be next to impossible), and otherwise you'll need to live with the fact that this model won't turn at all, in which case I would recommend adding a large rudder-like keel at the stern to keep her going straight, rather then being steered by the wind.
The second thruster probably doesn't need to be this big and powerful, as it's main purpose is to steer the vessel.
You could make a rudder with a small, but long motor in it with a propeller in a "tunnel" (don't recall the proper English name, it's basically a short tube around the propeller, it's mostly used in tugs as it gives a certain propeller some extra efficiency, and therefore more power), that would give it enough power to steer the vessel (though you'll need to keep the main thruster amidships when steering, as you'd otherwise steer whilst moving sideways).
Or a large rudder under the stern could do the job as well, though it must be placed as far to the end of the vessel as possible, but as it's not so much in the propellers thrust (especially not when turning) it needs to big as the rudder mostly needs the water from the propeller to give some steering power.
Therefore a propeller fitted to the rudder would give that much more result, though it does require 1 or 2 more channels on the radio.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

MikeA

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 10:35:43 am »

josse i think krishnas perpose of this thread is to demonstrate how to build a schottle unit and the boat is to demonstrate its operation.

krishna ive followed many of your threads but never commented on any of them seeing as you know what your doing not a lot can be said as far as help is concerned. i got a question for you:

how long does it take you to build a model? you seem to demonstrat a new boat every week!!

I got some challenges for you if your interested.

I challenge you to build a amphibious car!!

like this ww2 DUKW

you up to it??

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 10:38:26 am »

josse i think krishnas perpose of this thread is to demonstrate how to build a schottle unit and the boat is to demonstrate its operation.

In the first post I read something about this boat being build for pushing and/ or towing much larger vessels around.
Then it's a huge handicap to not be able to steer the vessel.

...here i am working on my new tug, is a mini one, can hold in palm, but still she must be powerful, and yes intended to pull or push a big craft, with her's immense power..but because of the smaller size, it is not possible to fix a conventional shat system on this tug, even with a steeper angle..if so, there must not be any place to accomodate any battery and electronics..so..? only way to fix the power drive train in a vertical manner, and by avoiding the conventional rudder system.. :-)

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

MikeA

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 11:17:08 am »

touche josse

rathikrishna

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 02:57:41 pm »

Tweety..give me a little time..need no any innovation..i will add a test video, of same craft, and a finished one also..thanks for the valuable advice..

Mike a million thanks for the challenge..and also willing to make an articulated amphibian..a million thanks again..but all will be after my presently working crafts..have 6 of them..once again..thanks for the challenge..and photographs..Goddess may bless us..all..have some nice crafts.. :-))

MikeA

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 03:27:54 pm »

6 models to build eh? so youl be finished by friday then :}

rathikrishna

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 06:13:07 pm »

almost Mike..but back pain is disturbing me lots..still no time to be lazy..and also professinal works..and already started working on amphibian..making drive train..will complete it this night..thanks once again for the challenge.. :-))

MikeA

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 10:18:08 pm »

lol allready!! will it be fully RC? drive on land and water?

ayrshire andy

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 01:00:01 am »

Knowing krishna it may perhaps take off as well!  :D

rathikrishna

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 04:22:16 am »

its sure..Mike..its a fully radio controlled one..in land and water as well..tested by erly morn..and waiting to replace wheels in to a little more bigger, as this used wheels are not big enough, in the transition to water from land..yes..working..but i need a little more ground clearance..and also willing to change the used motor for propultion..need more torque than RPM..and once again..you gave me a new vision in modeling..oye..oyyy...a million thanks once again..
Andy..thanks for the inspiration..its almost complete..and lokking in my text book for WW 2 cammouflages..
will add a test video of the "Chubby Tuggy" later..so..do not be lazy..make crafts..lurking crafts.. :-) :-) :-) :-))

MikeA

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 08:27:57 am »

i thought it would keep you busy for at least a week!! not just an evening, youl eventually run out of ideas what to build krish, theres no prises by the way but you can have a pat on the back if you like :-))

rathikrishna

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 11:33:46 am »

thank you Mike.. %%

rathikrishna

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 12:08:27 pm »

Friends..by reading the opinion of my Friend Tweety,  i can think, why 80 % of modelers stay away from model making..its clear, that all we over estimate our needs when we decides to make a craft..so, whenever i thoughts about a craft to make, at first i dreams about its propultion and stability..the ideas, from last, 36 or more years of my experience come in to play..while i thinks about a craft..in my child hood it was a great head ache to me to stabilize a plywood piece over water, especially it as it is my boat..so i found some remedy..on that time, about the age of 5, i can simply imagine its far beyond reach of an average boy..so, i always thanks to my Pappaji, Dr Ramakrishnan Keeriyaatt, for the corrections..and innovative ideas..he, my Pappa taught me that, whenever we think about to make a system, or a machine, we must think in various ways for a same results..and we must workout some researches with our mind..and it always workes..

so, actually i was looking for more craetive and extra ordinary crafts all over, it was accidental, that i saw a little tug in our Mayhem..and i clearly know, such crafts are too unstable because of its nature of the hull..so, give up..?  never..as it is not an option..so i recalled many things deep from my " old compressed files" within the storage place of my brain.. %%

rathikrishna

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 12:18:51 pm »

so, all we know, how to make a hull with a super stability..so i applied it simply here..when i started to make hull for this craft, the idea was clear about its shape, propultion and weight..and yes she is designed for tight maneouvers instead of a high speed long chase..so, it must turn..from a stand still..its a must..and also she must be powerful enough to pull or push a heavy load..because, this one is designed for my new quay side, that i am building on my backyard..it will spread over 3.7 cents of land..behind my little home, that home constructed by me myself from foundation..the quay side will be equipped with rail road, road, canals, and all other things including a solar and wind power house..so, she will be the key of controlling my quayside..so she must do well..

then, will she..? will she turns well..? or as told by my Friend Tweety..as "Krishna, I think you will find that you're model won't turn at all, or at least will hardly turn."..?

no chance Friends..she must turn..
see here the test footages.. :-))

test footage 1...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS1OVpDIn5w

rathikrishna

rathikrishna

rathikrishna

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 12:42:07 pm »

Friends..i posted it all here not to show some thing about me..but think how nice about the craft..and we do not need any ample of knowledge in extreme engineering to realize a stunning craft..usually we, under estimates ourselves..and stays away from making models..its all simple..and we need only two dry cells and a toy motor to make a boat..it will run nicely..instead we think about a motor that eats about 20 amps in run..and yes 80 % of the power is wasted as cavitation and splashes..with a mere 3 amps a 2.5 feet long craft will fly over water..and a self research also gives us ample of experience in model making..so..once again..modelers..come in..all needed materials are around you..look around..take it all..and make it all..tugs..warships..speed boats..cruisers..tow boats..life boats..ocean liners..scows..anything..and everythind..and RCyit all.... :-) :o :-))

how much power she can handle..in pull or push mode..? please wait a while..she is under paint job..will add the super actions later...Friends..have some nice crafts.. :-))

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 03:07:41 pm »

I see I was wrong.
After looking more closely to the model I noticed that the propulsion was not really at half length of the vessel, I think that made the difference.
It's clear that the large amount of power helped to indeed make it steer.

Can I give you a challenge?
Could you try to make the same hull shape, but then with the thruster exactly at half the length at the waterline?
I really wander is it will turn then as well.

Greetings Josse

rathikrishna

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2012, 03:15:16 am »

Good morning Friends..and why not Tweety..its on the way..and the above craft is powered by a simple ECM, and powered by a 7.2 volts battery..and the whole video was shot in the mode of about a 2 to 3 % throttle..and if i open throttle once the craft will shooted up in air..so, that power is reserved, to manipulate the crafts around her..now added the pusher platform, and pulling hook..and also made two, tow barges that can carry two bricks each..and will add to my chubby to reveal her's power..and she has only one option...just obey the command from my TX..because she is not my wife.. ;)

and will full fill the dream, that a craft with a propultion at amidship, and  can turn the craft in a circular motion..inspirations..and now challenges continued.. :-)) have a nice day to you all..once again..see how easy to make all crafts..so..make it..many... %%

rathikrishna

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2012, 06:17:33 pm »

Mike..its for you..once again..a million thanks for the challenge..next one..an amphibian capable of VTOL..
see the amphibian here..http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=35379.0
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.