Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: pt-109 build  (Read 23031 times)

MikeA

pt-109 build
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:01:07 am »

ive just started building a pt 109, it been a fair while since my last build and i just thought id share with you what ive done so far if anyone is interested.

firstly got the plans from this bloke:

http://www.building-model-boats.com/model-boat-plans-store.html

I then got them printed on A0 so they came out as one big sheet and so i didnt have to patchwork the templates. I then stuck them onto card board, like so:

anyway i cut them out and drew round them onto ply wood. It didnt work out aswell as i hoped because the glue i used to stick the paper to card curled the templates and they were a ****** to draw round, there are probably better methods though i can think of anyone off the top of my head, maybe pritstick will stop the card from curling because i used PVA.

Anyway I cut all the peices out of 1.5mm ply with a stanley knife, i would use thicker wood but it was hard enough and im not a fan of balsa. Anyway a big jump later and im currently here:

itl do :-))

MikeA

scratch pt-109 build
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 12:19:07 am »

yesterday after my last post i didnt get much more done, just a bit more structure on the frame:

Anyway today i got a fair bit and now completely covered the chines. After cutting out the bulkheads i had a lot of waste material around the empty spaces where they use to be on the ply i used. I could have bought a new sheet and made the chines in long strips and would have saved time but would have also taken another chunk out of my budget. So using a pencil and a bit of trimming i jigsawed so to speak the sides on:

After several hours of sanding and filling in the gaps with glue and the saw dust from the sanding all the pieces were blended smoothly togeather:

The interior looks a bit rough ill admit but it will be all hidden away once the deck is on and tissue will be going on the outside to reinforce and cover the patchwork affect on the bow. I have to wait now for my hardware and wood to turn up before i can go any further and with the snow at the minute that could be be any time.

MikeA

Re: pt-109 build
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:56:01 am »

I got my propshaft from MMB but had to hang around for the wood, In the end i bought some from the local model shop. I bought the last lot and they said it would take 10 days for them to get more in, so i ordered some off ebay first class post and its still not here, that was last week!!

On the drawing and templates the keel is marked out as two peices with a gap in the middle to allow for access for the propshaft. To make life easier for my self i boxed in and epoxied the propshaft straight onto the keel, then installed the hole thing in one peice. Next i marked out and installed the rest of the bulkheads:

Today i managed to get the bottom done, all the gaps are filled and the lines are all sanded going to work on the motor mount next:

mikearace

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:23:19 pm »

Looks a lovely job on that hull Mike

MikeA

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 01:29:38 am »

I cant tell if your pullin my leg or not. Its not tidy ill admit, just using every scrap and splinter to save money, patch work boat!!

Anyway i did more today. In fact i got loads done today. First job was to install the motor, now im sure a lot of you wouldnt dream of installing the hardware at this early stage but i do because I like to be able to do all the aligning and adjusting and whatever while i can still get my hands in the boat, yeah ill need to fiddle about with it later on for maintenance and that kinda stuff but it works for me. Using an MMB propshaft and coupling i trial fitted the position of the motor all joined up. I soldered on a nice set of green and yellow wires and some gold plated banana connectors:

At this stage of any boat build we all start thinking about a boat stand, some people go to great lenghths to make boat stands just while they are working in them. I simply use a box and cut a V in either and the boat sits in that just nicely. Its only for working on and if spill anything never mind, plus i can chuck me tools an whatnot in it when im not building.

Its actually a little undersized the box because my misus nicked the box i had in mind for her own hobby.

Anyway my favourite part of any build is the mechanicals so i rigged up a temporay speed controller, battery and receiver. Using my right hand to control the throttle i tweaked and wiggled the motor around while running to get the alignment right by simply listening to it. I got an idea of where the motor had to sit so i made a motor mount out of 3 small sheets of light ply laminated togeather. Using a ruler, compass, pencil and a small handful of tools i marked out the laminated ply taking measurements from the motor and profile from the bottom of the hull. That was the easy bit though, I screwed the motor to the mounting bracket, connected an powered it up. Then while the motor was running, holding on to that and the controller i somehow managed to epoxy it in.

Ok so i let that dry a bit and moved on to the deck, i sorted out the access hatch coaming which fairly simple, just a few strips of wood and a little ruler action. The next stage though was rather testing. To fit the deck i was going to attempt it in one peice but some of the contours of the hull wouldnt allow it so i did it in two halves. I laid the hull upside down on a large peice of ply and drew around the boat, next i removed the boat and marked out the centre and the access hatch on the newly doodled deck. Using your boggo standard stanley knife i cut the deck out then cut it in half. I would say i simply glued the two halves on top but id be lying because it took the best part of 2 hours and a lot of colourful language trying fix clamps and hold stuff. In the end i taped the deck on with several rolls of electricians tape while it dried.

Anyway few hours of sanding later, some CA glue for the gaps and a few LB of talc i fixed the deck:

Now im glad i did the motor first because id have struggled trying to get it set up in there:

mikearace

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 03:45:21 am »

No not pulling your leg or plonker or anything else. It does looks nice and smooth and symetrical now you have sanded it down and it will paint up very nicely.

MikeA

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 09:05:31 am »

ROFL thanks for the compliments anyway  {-) :-)) I wasnt sure if anyone was interested nobody had said anything till you did, i was considering not bothering with a build thread.

mikearace

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 10:51:05 am »

Well Im watching with interest Mike and would like to see how she finishes up

MikeA

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 02:16:52 am »

OK time for an update. Today i managed to get the hull sealed using the tried and tested dope and tissue method. Turned out ok i think, its got a nice smooth surface for painting too of course:

Took a picture of it outside after the rain, i had to do some of the sealing inside, the smell of the dope was overpowering so i got it over and done with.

Ok so while that was drying i started on the hatch lid and superstructure, if thats the right word. To be honest i was dreading this bit but seems to be going togeather better than i thought it would:

anyways thats all for now  :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 02:48:39 pm »

Anyway my favourite part of any build is the mechanicals so i rigged up a temporay speed controller, battery and receiver. Using my right hand to control the throttle i tweaked and wiggled the motor around while running to get the alignment right by simply listening to it. I got an idea of where the motor had to sit so i made a motor mount out of 3 small sheets of light ply laminated together.

Brilliant, Mike.  :-))   yes we are watching your build and gathering information.  I use your idea to get the motor running true and quiet. I wonder if others try to make them run smooth by sound and feel.
A tip to save getting all the control gear rigged up is, to use a 6 volt battery directly on a 12 volt motor. The results are not so fierce and it's easier to handle the loose assembly.

Keep up the good work

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

MikeA

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 09:24:05 pm »

I have no idea what other people do. I use to measure a postion the motor first then just hope for the best. Its not too obvious from the photo but the motor isnt actually dead inline with the keelson, its just where it was happiest. No point in arguing with it.

sentry

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 11:19:47 am »

am watching to Mike looking good please dont take it to morrisons lake its few to deep and never want you to lose it. hope your going thursday I am and bringing a mate.
                                   Regards Howard.

john44

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 11:21:37 am »

Brilliant, Mike.  :-))   yes we are watching your build and gathering information.  I use your idea to get the motor running true and quiet. I wonder if others try to make them run smooth by sound and feel.
A tip to save getting all the control gear rigged up is, to use a 6 volt battery directly on a 12 volt motor. The results are not so fierce and it's easier to handle the loose assembly.

Keep up the good work

ken

Hi Mike you are doing a good job there,
as Ken says a smaller battery direct to the motor is an excellent way to set up a motor / shaft assy.
you can also connect a ammeter/multimeter in your motor wiring and when it reads the lowest resistance/amps
it should be perfectly set.
So you have a visual as well as an audible way of setting up your motors.

john

MikeA

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 12:29:33 pm »

am watching to Mike looking good please dont take it to morrisons lake its few to deep and never want you to lose it. hope your going thursday I am and bringing a mate.
                                   Regards Howard.

Ill still sail at morrisons though these days i have countermeasures just in case of miss haps. I like it there because its out of the way of some of the neanderthalithic vermin we seem to be plagued with in this town. plus its a big open space for my FE boat.

I know what you mean though :-)) Dont worry im not worried about the depths i have no intention of sinking (touch wood)

as far as thursday is concerned i cant go  :(( >>:-(, im still keen though so youl see me about  :-))

MikeA

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 01:02:34 pm »

Ok so its been a day or two since my last post and ive been very busy getting the deck houses built, all made out of light ply and balsa:

a few deck hatches fitted to the bow, just followed what i saw on the plan:

when i was cutting out the templates for the deck house i wasnt sure actually what the squares on the side were till i googled about a bit. So as soon as i found out they were windows  (seems stupid and obvious but better safe than sorry) my first thought was right cut them out, so i did. Next without thinking any further forward i assembled the entire house without a thought about any glass! Thus completrly sealing all access to the inside. I later found out they were just suppose to be painted on! Anyway after a bit thinking over cuppa i had plan and raded the recycling bin.

heres what i did:
 Firstly further scanning google i noticed that a small frame was around the windows so i cut a square of card from a coco pops box and then marked out the size of the windows with your basic ruler and pencil. The frame needed to be about 1mm thick to be scale so it was rather small:

next i cut of the MIDDLE of the frame first, if i had done the exterior of the frame then try cutting out the middle it would have torn the card, so using a sharp stanley i carefully followed the lines, well best i could:

Using a pair of your boggo household scissors i then cut the exterior of the frame out:

next was to stick on the back a peice of see through plastic i salvaged from an empty felt tip pen packet, i used an over sized peice of plastic first, stuck it on with abs glue then trimmed it down with the scissors so it matched the exterior dimensions of the cardboard frame:

previous experience of making windows has taught me not to use CA as it leaves a powdery residue on the plastic, which in this case if had happend i wouldnt have been able to wipe off.

Using the same glue i stuck the window frames with the "glass" in over the holes on the deck house:

a bit of sanding sealer and paint will make the frame water resitant, doesnt need to be overkill water proof just splash proof.

gun turrets next gotta find some tubes O0

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 01:24:14 pm »

Looking good there Mike
Isn't it grand when you find a way of
reversing a cockup without dismantling
hours of work.

By the way, where is Morrisons pond as
I get to Scunny every couple of weeks
and sometimes call in to Morrys?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

MikeA

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 01:35:19 pm »

yeah i was quite please with its turn out, if i had put the windows on the inside it would have been wrong and had no frames. The pond is called ashby ville and its round the back. It has road access from the a15 Mortal Ash hill but thats where the jet skis launch from, i go round the back to the otherside away from the jet skis.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=53.5638717&lon=-0.6114042&z=17&l=0&m=b

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 01:52:18 pm »

Thanks for that Mike
Mortal Ash Hill is the A18 by the way  :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

MikeA

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 02:03:11 pm »

Thanks for that Mike
Mortal Ash Hill is the A18 by the way  :-)) :-))

Ned

I couldnt remeber off the top of me head  :embarrassed: cheers for educating me

MikeA

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 10:40:29 am »

The build progress is now starting to slow down heres comes the time consuming fiddly detail bits. The plan requires two 35mm diameter AA turrets on either corner of the deck houses, I have been pondering a while as to what to use, in the end i took a trip to town to find something. It boiled down in the end to two options either a plastic red bycle pump from poundland or a length of soil pvc pipe from wilko. The pipe was a perfect diameter exactly 35mm but like everything i only needed about 3 inches and the wilko sold it in lengths of 2 meters!! Being nice n white rather then bright red i figured it would be easier to paint so home it came. At only £1.67 a little more than the pump i couldnt complain but only the draw back is ill have to find somewhere to stash the last 6ft on tube i dont need!

Using the standard stationary and a small hand hacksaw i cut the tubes to the lenth and then marked out the profile of the deck houses on the tubes so as they fitted. It took a lot of fiddling and to be honest a few gaps apeared which i filled later with a dabble of CA and talc:

The plans show a ridge or lip that goes around the top of the towers. A few ideas popped to mind and some varied failed attempts i finally decided to use strips. I cut the strips 4mm wide out of 0.8mm ply, in order to get the them bend around the 35 mm tubes without snapping or being awkward i cut the strips perpendicular to the grain of the wood:

Then using clamps and tie wraps i wrapped them round the the AA turrets. After the first ones i laminated another two on top of each turret to bring out the depth they needed to be:

On the trip home i was walking through the ten foots and something disgaurded on the ground caught my eye which at the time i thought hmm maybe i could use that as a post:

A bit of old chair, i reckon its part of the back, so checking nobody was looking i picked it up and brought it back to try. I matched up a section of the chair back to the drawing and found a section i could cut out and use:

without acces to a lathe, nor require shaping or funding i thought it was a good match and a good find, so on it went:

So there you go, think ill do some guns now  :-))

john44

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 01:30:42 pm »

Well Mike, you are indeed a scatch builder. Following this build I realise that we scratch builders are all alike, nothing goes to waste
and we have a fun time building that way, and hopefully we always will do.

keep up the good work

john

LarryW

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 02:43:29 pm »

HI MIKE
         Nice scratch build ,  us scratch builders look at things in a different light to any body else,  never pass a skip  %%
      a few pics of my scratch built guns  using mastic nozzles, pen tubes , card , plastic sheet , wire... and a picture of basic tools, what is called building on a budget   
,     lets get a few more hints and tips going on Mayhem  :-)) :-)) :-))   LARRY ....

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 07:32:24 pm »

hi ya mike really enjoying your build of this model;  can I make a few suggestions?

Raid the sweet shop, go for a ten pence mix-up, make sure you get the lollies with the plastic sticks, they make ideal gun barrels  %%

Also, the outside brush (yard broom) the shaft handle - wood - makes ideal dowelling for bits and pieces - now my wife is going to find out why our brush was made for someone no taller than three foot  O0 O0

Also smartie tubes (empty ones - after you have eaten all the smarties - and you are rolling round in agony where you have eaten all the sweets)  they are another good source of tubing.

If you are ever stuck again for large diameter tubing - use rolled up paper tubing covered in sand n sealer - to waterproof it.   I know Colin Bishop built a model over 100 year ago (he is an owld bloke ya nar) out of brown gummed paper and shallack varnish and its still going strong - says a lot for paper -

kEEP YOUR EYES open for discarded 15 amp and 30 amp twin n earth flat wire - makes great aerials and gun barrels when stripped of insulation.

just a few thoughts

keep on the good build

aye

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

MikeA

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 09:03:08 pm »

thank you all for the compliments  :}

John44 its astounding the amount of money people spend on there builds simply because of the waste. Although in this build i have bought a lot of stuff, but i did have a little bit of money.

Larry i definatly agree that more hints and tips need to be used on mayhem for scratch building. I have made suggestions in the past about on all sorts of threads and just fallen on deaf ears.  Love the gun to i need to do something like that on this build all thought your attention to detail is better than mine.

Blue bird I have saved 2 broom sticks  :} just in case cos you never know

i like to use the ink tubes out of ball point pens they make good barrels too.

I got some good ideas what ill do for guns on this build im gonna use up what bits ive got left though.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 09:41:46 pm »

A bit of old chair, i could cut out and use:

Hi

Just an idea - perhaps you could treat the wood - I've just read a thread that involved scrap wood giving a boat woodworm.

Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.