Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: pt-109 build  (Read 23033 times)

MikeA

Re: pt-109 build
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 10:43:09 pm »

lol perhaps i could but its too late its stuck on now and not to keen on forking out for a tin of wood worm killer for peice of 1 inch slanty dowl, ill take my chances its only a little bit and it isnt rotten or anything. Thanks for your concern though :-))

MikeA

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 02:04:42 am »

well i havent seem to got as much done today as i would have liked to as ive been busy else where, but Ill show you all what i have done.

Firstly installed the rudder and servo. Usually i do this early on like the motor but for some reason decided to do it at a later date dunno why. It occured to me theres not much point steaming ahead fitting lots of delicate details to the deck when ive got to turn it over on its back, lean on it with a black n decker and drill a dirty great hole! I checked the plans first get me lines right then started with a pilot hole i driled it 1.5mm. happy with that i usud a 4mm, then a 6mm, gradually increasing diameter to avoid tearing, splitting and splintering the hull. Next i took a small round file and opened up the hole to final diameter which was about 8mm. Pushed the rudder tube through and tightened down the locking nut. very simple.

Its not shown on the plan how or where the servo is suppose to be mounted in the end i decided to attach it in the middle of the hull at the stern. After some head scratching i cut off a peice of 1/4inch sqaure beam and drilled and screwed the servo front to the centre of it. wiggling the both attached parts under the deck i then moved the servo to the a central position on the hull bottom and the glued the beam to the bulkhead sides. I had some long screws left over from a old distmantled servo and used them to anchor the back of the servo to the hull bottom into blocks:

I adjused and tighted the tillar on the rudder post so one arm was 90deg to the rudder, I then set about trying to link the two parts. Originally i had bought from ebay or at least ordered 6 inch of m2 threaded stud. When it arrived i thought it seemed a little thicker than 2mm but with my vernier calliper battery gone flat i couldnt get a good measurement of what it was. A lot of pratting about with knuckles trying to get them to fit i chucked it in the box and bought a 2mm stainless steel rod with about 1/2 inch of m2 thread cut down at one end, only 20p. Fitted the m2 knuckles fine no problem. But the other end didnt have a thread on it, without the expense of buying a tap and dye set i did the method of what they do in a lot of rc i made a dog leg with the pliers:

It works better than it looks.

Also managed to get the aa turrets done a bit more, albeit not loads:

And made this horn out of an old paint brush and rubber off the end of a mechanical pencil:

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 07:32:45 am »

Are you sealing the rudderpost hole Mike?,or are you counting on the locknut?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

MikeA

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 08:40:50 am »

I havent sealed it but i have to test it yet and ill see if it needs to be modified then :-))

LarryW

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 09:28:53 am »

Hi mike,
        Still looking good , also nice photo cover pictures , good camera skills ......... :-))........Larry

MikeA

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 09:28:55 am »

you had me worried there so i just tested it and it didnt leak but sealed it anyway. belts n braces :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 09:32:16 am »

Yeah If the hole is left untreated you can bet that the wet stuff will find a way into the ply  <:( <:(

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

john44

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 10:01:10 am »

Hi Mike, great work, here are pictures of my scratch built gun/water cannon.

john

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 11:23:13 am »

Hello Mike, really enjoying your build, might not post much but certainly keeping an eye on you  ok2  Lovely to see a young fella using imagination, recycling others waste and looking after the pennies - another true scratch builder in the mould I'm sure. Who says you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear!

Keep up the good work and regards, Tony.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2012, 09:13:13 pm »

hi ya Mike

The build is coming along canny, just one query - when you mounted the rudder servo, I note the front of the servo is fastened to a cross member beam, but the rear of the servo you have used 2 long screws with no support underneath.  Concern here is if those 2 screws are tightened too tight - it will begin to distort the lug and servo and then it may begin to wear or put undue stress on the gearing inside the servo.  I know the screws may just be nipped up, but personally I prefer to support a steering servo on both mounting lugs.....I often used an idea which I 'copied' from Glynn Guest for mounting my servos and its pretty quick to make - couple of pics here to show ya.

aye
john

[attachment deleted by admin]
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

MikeA

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 12:21:25 am »

Ive taken heed john, hope this works:

its rough but solid  :-))

MikeA

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2012, 12:34:19 am »

Time for an update.

I had a go at soldering brass today, its not the first time ive dont it for a model boat but it is the first time i done so it looks at least prestentable. Using an electric 30w soldering iron i managed to some how make these railings for the turrets and only burn myself a little bit:

just want to point out i modified the deck house a bit so the dash board was slanted, i had to butcher the old one first though:

I cleaned it up with a chisel and emery cloth taking extra care not to break anything else:

Within no time at all i completely remade the dash with some scrap bits left over to a more scale aperance:

Ill do another update tomorow  :-))

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 11:25:30 am »

:-))

MikeA

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2012, 11:26:27 am »

Last nights forum update was feeble because i was knackered so im gonna do it again. The change of the dash was a last minute thing and not worth bothering writing about but the soldering ill cover a bit more.

The soldering of the railings and stuff i have to admit i nearly didnt bother. I have a 30w electric soldering iron with is good for electrical but just doesnt create enough heat for even heavy gauge cable let alone making railings. Previous experience using it to stick a brass rudder on a post has proven its ok as long as you not too fussy about apearance. Bit of filing was needed but any way thats another story. So i went down to the model shop and selected a handful 1 and 1.5mm brass rods.  Firstly i bent the rods to make a ring then using a bit of flux i soldered legs on to the ring. It had quickly accured to me that i hadnt bought enough of the 1mm rod and so they parts were pre cut, some being very short. Soldering the legs i was suprsed at just how fast the heat transfered through to my fingers. Anyway with all 4 legs on the ring i temporarily fixed it with a tie wrap to the top of the turret for a mock up. doing the last bit of soldering was relatively easy from there.

The last part was to fix the brass railings to the turrets, I wasnt sure and expoxy had come to mind but i dont want to spend anymore money at the minute. I think the end solution was best though. simply cutting small blocks of balsa, sticking them to the sides of the turret then pushing the kegs in with some CA proved more than adequate:

Another part was a loop at the back. I dont know a lot about ships but at a guess i would say that these railings were to stop the aa gunners from shooting there own boat. Anyway this was fairly easy to form but a pig to solder:

A view of the brasswork:

I am tempted to buy more brass to do more fitting but the more delicates i attach the easier it will be to break. I have no car and rely on public transport to get to the lake, well see.

rmaddock

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2012, 11:42:26 am »

You're a builder after my own heart Mike and this is a proper job of scratch building you're doing here. There's no shame at all in butchering things and doing them again because you don't like it or you got it wrong. In fact rather the opposite.
I started enjoying scratch building far more when I realised that you could do all sorts of butchery on models and once they were finished and painted they'd look fantastic. I think it's a mistake to feel that everything must slot together perfectly "a la kit".
I haven't done much soldering of brass myself and what little I have done has been worse that yours!  {-) Mind you, I'll need to make up some chainplates for the Nobby soon so I'd better get practising.
With regards to fragile details and transportation, have you thought about making a carry case for the boat? I know that lots of folks on here do just that.
Keep up the good work!
Robert.

MikeA

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2012, 11:52:26 am »

Another part i did was this doodaa at the back. I have no idea what it is:

A bit of googling gave me a better idea what it looked like, still not knowing what it is though for this ill call it a flask. A bit of rummaging though junk i found an old dried up felt tip pen, using what  was left of the chair back spindle i whittled the end with the stanley so as the spindle and the pen fitted togeather:

I then cut off the excess of the spindle with a hacksaw:

Using a knife, a file and various grades of emery cloth i shaped and smoothed the end into ball shape. Once i was happy with it cut the pen down to length according to the plan:

A bottom was shaped and stuck on plus a cup made out of dowel to fit on top of the flask.

Pictures showed a kind of cradle the flask sat in so i got some left over plastic card from another build and made to U shaped cradles. I stuck the cradles to the flask first then stuck the hole thing to stern of the deck:

These fiddly bits are taking ages to make now. It took nearly an hour to make that flask!! coffee anyone?? :-))

MikeA

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2012, 11:59:17 am »

You're a builder after my own heart Mike and this is a proper job of scratch building you're doing here. There's no shame at all in butchering things and doing them again because you don't like it or you got it wrong. In fact rather the opposite.
I started enjoying scratch building far more when I realised that you could do all sorts of butchery on models and once they were finished and painted they'd look fantastic. I think it's a mistake to feel that everything must slot together perfectly "a la kit".
I haven't done much soldering of brass myself and what little I have done has been worse that yours!  {-) Mind you, I'll need to make up some chainplates for the Nobby soon so I'd better get practising.
With regards to fragile details and transportation, have you thought about making a carry case for the boat? I know that lots of folks on here do just that.
Keep up the good work!
Robert.

I have cases and boxes, when i go sailing i take my son with me in his pushchair, quite handy cos i get get a fair few boats on it but this one is my largest boat yet so i dare say ill be taking as many once this is complete.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2012, 01:18:36 pm »

have a look at this  :-))

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/smoke/index.htm

aye
john

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2012, 02:24:24 pm »

A cracking scratch build Mike, have never tried one myself, but really have admiration for the model your producing and the way you've done it. Hats off and full credit to you  - your a true ambassador to the hobby me thinks. O0 :-))

Regards, Tony.

LarryW

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2012, 03:04:39 pm »

hi not bad soldering ,   i use copper wire pre stretched using a drill ,  fix one end in vice , the other end in drill ,switch on drill gently pull pull as power up ,
  you will now you now have ridged piece of wire ., bend to shape ,  steel wool to clean or brass wire brush , flux and solder, clean of item before painting,job done
  the source of wire power cable all grades and diameters , free from shop refits or skips , or the odd car boot. :-))........LARRY

john44

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2012, 03:09:58 pm »

Hi Mike I use brazing rod instead of brass rod, its a lot cheaper, and its easy to solder.

john

MikeA

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2012, 03:53:34 pm »

A cracking scratch build Mike, have never tried one myself, but really have admiration for the model your producing and the way you've done it. Hats off and full credit to you  - your a true ambassador to the hobby me thinks. O0 :-))

Regards, Tony.

Building rc boats is something ive wanted to do since i was a kid, it wasnt till last year that i actually started the hobby. I cant afford a kit so scratch building was/is the only option for me in order to do it. I dont know why ive left it this long because ive had money in the past and wasted countless thousands on beer and other ****

If i had the funding like i use to id buy some kits but considering how far ive come scratch building id do better with a scroll saw  :} Im not sure swmbo would like it on the dining room table though!

MikeA

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »

have a look at this  :-))

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/smoke/index.htm

aye
john

ah i see, and i suppose then the boxes near the rear AA mount are not packed lunches then. Thanks for the educational info.

rmaddock

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2012, 04:16:41 pm »

....id do better with a scroll saw  :} Im not sure swmbo would like it on the dining room table though!

{-)
I'm with you 100% there Mike!

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2012, 06:17:29 pm »

Hi Mike, started a BIT late myself, had to build from kits cuz new nothing about boats but more so - wanted to see a few finished results while I've got time!  {-) {-) {-)

I think your doing grand, and with limited facilities to boot - true dedication. Ten out of ten ok2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.