Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: pt-109 build  (Read 23042 times)

mikearace

Re: pt-109 build
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2012, 07:17:54 pm »

Its a lovely bit of work Mike

LarryW

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2012, 07:45:51 pm »

HI mike , 
            spoken like a true modeller :-)) :-))...... Larry

MikeA

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2012, 08:44:34 am »

HI mike , 
            spoken like a true modeller :-)) :-))...... Larry

who are you refering too? me or mikerace

LarryW

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2012, 09:20:43 am »

HI MIKE ,
 YOU of course ,     silly question time whose plan are you using?........Larry.....

MikeA

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2012, 09:21:14 am »

Now its really starting to get somewhere. The detailing is getting small and fiddlier, put on the starboard/port lights yesterday plus some other small bits n bobs,  but most of all i got the cowl vents made.

Most of the time i can allways find something to make what ever part but a cowl vent?? nope NOTHING:

Not little cowl vents anyway!! :} I reckon these wouldve worked on a 1/24 scale model, just earbud head phones available from poundshop, wliko, on the floor, dustbin whatever.

Nope i had to made my own!! Sandwhiching 8 peices of balsa togeather with CA i made four blocks and cut the corner of the first one:

Using the trusty stanley i picked off a bit more;

and gradually with the stanley and emery cloth;

I whittled a cowl vent:

It took ages like at least 45 minutes to an hour to make but its the right shape and scale to the drawing, I stuck it down with CA. Only 4 more to go! %%

few glad thats over!

Actually wasnt that bad, I got to slouch! :o

bobk

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2012, 09:27:48 am »

Nice bit of problem solving work there Mike.  Although at the time it may sometimes feel frustrating, achieving neat solutions to these challenges must be one of the key joys of building boats  O0

Keep up the good work.  Coming on well  :-))

MikeA

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2012, 09:28:43 am »

HI MIKE ,
 YOU of course ,     silly question time whose plan are you using?........Larry.....

oh  :embarrassed: (Slow moment)

also these plans, pt 109 semi scale:

http://www.building-model-boats.com/model-boat-plans-store.html

The designer is very helpful bloke, thanks Petter if your reading this

LarryW

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2012, 09:34:17 am »

Hi mike ,
         hope dont mind a little tip ,  i  would start to paint the bits of deck parts , before final finish , stops . a of lot of masking .
         still a good job  BUT think ahead ........... :-)) :-)) :-)) Larry..

MikeA

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2012, 09:42:49 am »

normally i would but 99.98 of the boat is green!! things like the AA guns and the helmwheel etc ill do seperatly and fit them last after ive painted it, i leave small unpainted marks for fitting them of course, but ive got to make the torpedos yet (been holding them off to be honest) which have to be attached to the deck :-))

MikeA

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2012, 10:28:27 am »

New update time. A slow steady advance has been made although not as fast id like but meh what can you do. The first of 4 torpedoes has been made:

Taking the best part of 5 hours to make one!!! >>:-( im afraid its going to be a while before i make another update. On another note the bottom of the hull has been painted in what was suppose to be oxide red or at least a good match for oxide red, apparently  >>:-( It looks like brown to me, but its going to stay as my budget is now getting tight and its below the water line. I can allways change it later if it bothers me too much.

rmaddock

« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2012, 12:08:31 pm »

...what was suppose to be oxide red or at least a good match for oxide red, apparently  >>:-( It looks like brown to me...

Well, if you will buy spray paint made my Addidas, what do you expect?  {-)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2012, 02:04:00 pm »

hi Mike

Just as a little note the hull bottoms on these boats were mainly painted black like Mick Jaggers door ; but hey ho - can you tell I have just been listening to my wife woffle on

anyway

35 years of marriage and this is where you end up ....... %% %% %% %%

right

serious head on

These hull bottoms and on these type of boat were painted black on a lot of PT boats apart from those which had a striped camouflage.   I wonder, for topedo tubes, have you thought of using 'old felt tip pen cases' I think crayola make the larger ones - just raid the kids old pen box - or the next time you might see them in the £1 shop.

Just food for thought

aye

Now I am off to take me tablets :-) and listen to the Rolling Stones again. %% %%

aye

john

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

MikeA

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2012, 02:19:35 pm »

I had a right rummage threw everything, couldnt find right diameter. in the end i bought some balsa (sacralige)

I asked the designer what colour to paint the hull he said oxide red. i think i will paint it black though im not keen on poo brown

MikeA

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2012, 02:28:38 pm »

Well, if you will buy spray paint made my Addidas, what do you expect?  {-)

actually the paint is humbrol suggested by the bloke who owns the model shop

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2012, 02:30:04 pm »

hi ya Mike

I am having a look through a book its by John Lambert and Les Brown ISPN NO.978-1-84832-060-4 - "Allied Torpedo Boats" - its a good book.   In there there are a couple of pics of a 1:24 scale PT-109 and the guy Alec Cap has painted the hull and deck a green colour but the bottom he has painted, what appears to be 'grey/off white colour'.    The majority of colour photographs of the Elco-Higgins craft seem to have either a white or black hull bottom.   The only one I can see in this book with a red oxide painted bottom is the Atari PT-147 at 1:35 scale and the guy has painted it striped camouflage.  Must admit this camouflage looks good - might be a bit difficult to do - but worth it.

aye
john

MikeA

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2012, 02:34:53 pm »

ill do it black then. im not a good painter and dont like doing it either. Ill do my best still :-))

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2012, 02:53:56 pm »

Have a look at PT boat
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2012, 03:01:32 pm »

oooo Riggers man, if mad Mike takes a look at that website his heed will explode :-) he will be in a state of 'nervous disposition'

aye

john

MikeA

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2012, 03:26:03 pm »

Ive had a browse through, you all have to bare in mind i bought this as a simple beginners semi scale build. Its not suppose to be 100% accurate and there are parts of the boat tjhat are not and i think a mishmash of different types of elco 80's.

Im still a beginner but one day ill pro like you lot :-))

MikeA

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2012, 01:22:42 am »

Been very busy today and made loads of progress. Firstly the torpedoes are finished!!  :} Im rather glad about that i they were a bit complicated:

well not complicated but time consuming, there were many parts to be a made which im afraid to say i didnt log, not only that but i found NOTHING i could use to make it simpler.  {:-{

Anothering thing i did was make some cleats, i did manage to take some photos of how i did them though:

first up i drew out a simple T shape on some plasticard:

cut them out with the stanley, nice n easy after the torpedos:

rounded them off with a file and emerycloth

stuck a base to the bottom of the T peice:

Then stuck them to the deck, 5 in total, it was quite fun making those little bits:

I wasnt going to bother but somehow had a change of heart, it just seemed worth the effort. Anyway this is as it stands at the minute:

Going to be painting tomorow :}

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2012, 09:04:41 pm »

hi there Mike

your build is looking really good - there are a couple more things for you to do the mast and bits and pieces  and judging by the way you have done this it looks like you are really enjoying this building - if you like this style of model, sort of semi-scale have you had a look on Myhobbiesstores plans section because there are loads and loads of this type of build.

I am not sure what you are doing about your speed controllers and things like that but if you fancy a bit electronic kit bashing (for speed controllers) ACTion do their speed controllers in kit form - they are slightly cheaper than the ready made unit - the instructions are very easy to follow and you just require a decent soldering iron and solder to put the kits together - not many pieces in them, and each electronic component is described and clearly shown where it fits in the circuit board.  Food for thought and it just adds that little extra touch to your model, when you know you have done some of the electronics yourself.

aye
john

MikeA

« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2012, 01:46:18 am »

hi there Mike

your build is looking really good - there are a couple more things for you to do the mast and bits and pieces  and judging by the way you have done this it looks like you are really enjoying this building - if you like this style of model, sort of semi-scale have you had a look on Myhobbiesstores plans section because there are loads and loads of this type of build.

I am not sure what you are doing about your speed controllers and things like that but if you fancy a bit electronic kit bashing (for speed controllers) ACTion do their speed controllers in kit form - they are slightly cheaper than the ready made unit - the instructions are very easy to follow and you just require a decent soldering iron and solder to put the kits together - not many pieces in them, and each electronic component is described and clearly shown where it fits in the circuit board.  Food for thought and it just adds that little extra touch to your model, when you know you have done some of the electronics yourself.

aye
john

thanks John i am enjoying this build but then i enjoy all my builds  ;) its whats its about it isnt it. I had a scan through that website and there were some plans id like to have a go. Ive been told by swmbo to make a canal boat, a rosie and jim one to be precise. Ill see about that.

As far as the esc is concerned im skint now. I use in all my boats except ONE car esc's. They do the job fine, one is this:

http://www.walkera-helicopters.com/shop/apex-electronic-speed-controller-apex-square-forward-reverse-p-6986.html

and the other:

http://www.toysonics.com/hpi-340-en-1-esc-w-reverse.html

I paid ten each for them on ebay and they're doing fine. I was tempted to buy the cheap blue esc's from china but didnt chance it so i bought second hand decent car ones instead, theyve never let me down yet and even been partially submerged!

Until i get a better esc ill use the Apex Square for now. I would like to buy from action but im afraid i cant afford his stuff {:-{

MikeA

« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2012, 02:26:13 am »

Heres an update. Ive done the painting and well its Ok, its not great simply because im no good at it. It doesnt help that i hate painting with a passion either in fact i get swmbo to do the hard stuff on my builds!

Anyway here it is

I have to say ive not had this much trouble painting my boats before. In fact the image you see above you is the SECOND attempt, the first attempt was so shameful i didnt want to post it! When the original coat dried one half of the boat was glossy and the other half was matt. I recall changing brushess half way through painting (dunno why) and presumed it was clean, it looked clean anyway. I think it had some grease on it or something but whatever it was it made a right mess. In order to correct the glossy ness i repainted it once it was dry with a clean paintbrush, seemed to work but it was different shade to the original paint and ended up being blotchy, baring in mind its the same tin!! Dont think i mixed it enough

I went out this morning bought 2 new tins of paint. i mixed them both togeather in a jar using a motor with a bit of rod connected to the end and whisked it thoroughly. Using  a clean brush again i repainted the boat. The final coat seems even and unblotchy if not a little thick in some places.

Ive also made the mast, which atm you cant seem cos its drying. Another thing the flag pole at the back also doubles as the antenna tube for the 2.4ghz wire.  Its actually from a mechincal pencil which i stripped down to get out the central ptfe tube and part of the mechanism which connects on the end. I can take the tube off any time because the mechanism bit its fixed to the boat, and the tube pushes in it perfectly.

I have the guns to make yet and some other little fittings so nearly there. Dare say it wil be on the water friday :-))

MikeA

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2012, 04:10:17 am »

well it wasn't on the water Friday lol still working on it, pushing it a bit there i think %%

Firstly Ive sorted out the appallingly bad bad job to a standard which isn't perfect but satisfactory. Ideally the best coating was the first one but ruined it by changing to a dirty brush half way through. Ohwell live and learn  :embarrassed: I rubbed down the abortion of a job on the hull and re coated it getting out the lumps and streaks doing what i rarely do taking my time!!

OK heres the mast, brass rods soldered togeather with a bit of pen tubing on the top. The plans show a round baked bean tin shape at the top i can only presume is a light. So a light it is:

the mast is removable for transport, albeit not particularly high but brings the height down just a few inches to avoid breaking. The legs push into tubes drilled and glued into the roof, i sourced the tube from blue birds suggestion lolly pop sticks which funnily enough i had saved some few months back when it had occurred to me they would be useful for something :-))
They proved a snug but solid fit onto the diameter brass i was using and proved ideal.

Next up was the flag pole/antenna tube:

simply from a mechanical pencil, I actually buy them 5 for a pound just for this purpose. The parts of the mechanical pencils push togeather a fit into all kinds of ways, on a couple of boats i have i use them for 2mm prop tubes! Anyway that pulls out for transportation purposes too. Even though i have discovered its generally not necessary to have the antenna of 2.4 ghz RXTX to be elevated out of the boat i do just for good measure to make sure the reception is well above the water.

50cal Browning AA turrets:

I cant tell you how much i toiled with these things. I wanted a close to scale appearance as i could manage and being small it was very tedious and time consuming taking nearly a hole day to make one turret. The barrels are made from cocktail sticks (right diameter), the handles are made from pieces of wire and the stock is made from ply and plasticard. The bullets are pieces of wire cut to 3mm long and stuck to a wet n dry paper strip. I tried various materials and methods to make the ammo belts even considered doing it half **** and using tie wraps. My intention was to have them so that they swooped down and round into the flanks of the turret where the ammo boxes would be but after drying and construction being so small and brittle they snapped at any hint of persuasion sideways. In the end i had to either had give up on them altogether or use short belts. My missus justified my failing for me by saying the gunners have used some and nearly out of bullets  :} i felt a lot better. 

20mm oerlikon AA

despite being more complex to build than the 50's it took only a few hours to build this. Bits of pen tube, a cotton bud for the barrel and soldered wire for the shoulder pads. It helped that i didnt need to make 100 off rounds of ammo on belt that surely cut the build time down. I enjoyed making this gun. The crosshair site turned out to be about 5mm across, it had been playing on my mind a bit exactly how to go about making such a small cross hair. A brainwave struck me and it resulted in using a holepunch, stamping out a circle in the see threw plastic i used for the windows then etching the crosshairs onto the circle:

Its very small and hardly visible on the camera and doesn't look as wonky as the picture makes out in real life. A bit of jiggling was done after i taken the shot. But you can look threw the rear site into front with the crosshair.  :-))

Anotherthing done is a spot lamp which basically a pen tube with a bit of see threw plastic on the front stuck to a stick, nothing flash and barely worth mentioning. There is however the start to the dashboard with a helm:

its made from a piece of plasticard seeing as its not a wooden wheel i saved me the hassle of making a wooden one and used a material which would splinter less. The wheel is 20mm in diameter to the further most outer edge of each handle. I cut the entire wheel out of one piece of plasticard then using files a thin strip of wet dry rounded each spoke:

I'm afraid to say its not exactly round and blatantly eggshaped if you looked at it close up. I marked it out correctly but cutting it out was a epic task of its own, itl do i suppose.

Still got more to do yet. More dash, liferings, exhausts, bit of lettering and bobs your uncle.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2012, 11:15:20 am »

I'm afraid to say

Nah .........It all looks great to me - love all the scratch ideas and work involved.  :-))

Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.