Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Volvo headlighht bulb change?  (Read 6253 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Volvo headlighht bulb change?
« on: February 09, 2012, 09:21:15 pm »

Anyone know how to change the headlight bulb on a Volvo V50?
 I can't even get my hand in behind the headlamp!?!?!

>>:-(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Welsh Wizard

Re: Volvo headlighht bulb change?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:31:18 pm »

Martin they are right so and so's to do

TOP TIP.......go to Halfords and pay I think it is £2.80 and get them to fit it

Dave

mersey dave

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:31:48 pm »

You will have to take out the whole unit Martin,have a look on the link below.

Regards Dave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qfZaGYkQWo

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:37:41 pm »

A lot of cars are like that these days, it can be a major dismantling job sometimes. If you take your car to France you are required to have a full set of replacement bulbs but there isn't a hope in hell of changing most of them at the roadside in my Mazda 6. For one of them you have to take the wheel off and then the wheel arch liner to get to the thing. Just imagine trying to do that on a motorway on a wet night!

It's not a new problem though, I had an instrument light fail on a Vauxhall Cavalier once - the whole fascia had to be removed to replace it. Fortunately it was a lease car.

Colin

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 09:41:46 pm »

My Peugeot 206 Diesels rear cluster is that bad as well Martin , you have to remove the whole unit from the car then open the unit before changing the blown bulb putting everything back together and plugging it back in to usually find that another bulb has gone !!! I get my local car spares shop to change mine I just can't get the bleeding thing out !!!!

The front wing indicators are a pain in the gluteous maximus as well , its a wheel off , remove arch liner to get the holder out , something I cannot manage due to my bad back so as replacement covers are only a few ££ I break mine off then pull the holder out to change the bulb , put the new cover on and put it back lol , bit cavemanesque but it works for me lol
Davie Tait,
Scotland

richald

Re: Volvo headlight bulb change?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 09:56:17 pm »

martin

If you have the old model (previous to 2004) then you are on your own!

I have a 2005 Volvo S40 - changing the headlight bulb is really easy!

1) if you have the users manual then it is clearly laid out in there.
    Clue :- it is partially visible in the awful video - You don't need
    to get your hand to the back of the unit. There is a big 'pin' fitted
    vertically into the wing which locks the whole light unit into place
    pull it out, (0:29-0:30 into video)-and the light unit slides out
    forwards and sideways (0:59 in the video) you unplug the cables
    from the back of the unit, take the unit into the kitchen and sit
    comfortably with a cup of tea or coffee, un-clip the backplate to
    swap the bulb. Assembly is simply the same operations in reverse.

2) If you need the info from the users manual I can copy the relevant
    pages and add some photos if you are not clear about anything.

Regards

Richard

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 09:57:44 pm »

Thanks Dave..... what a completely stupid design!!

You will have to take out the whole unit Martin,have a look on the link below.

Regards Dave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qfZaGYkQWo
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

triumphjon

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:00:49 pm »

removal of lamp units is often quicker and easier than trying to squeaze yourself into the ever tighter spaces the manufactures leave us . i wouldnt trust halfords with my pushbike let alone a motor car

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 10:14:24 pm »

Found it Richard, thanks:  http://esd.volvocars.com/site/owners-information/MY10/PDF/V50/V50_owners_manual_MY10_EN_tp10852.pdf

Stupid design but I sort of understand it.... sort of idiot idea I would have come up with!    %)

Nothing like skinning your knuckles on freezing cold February morning!   {:-{

Dreadstar

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 12:04:37 am »

The Citroen C5 LX lights can be a bit of a swine to change too,no room,and you need to do everything by feel,as you cannot see into the housing. <*<

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 01:37:03 am »

Volvo's.............there are no 'repeat' owner purchasers in OZ...once bitten twice shy

When the warranty runs out......drive it into the ground....a relo purchased a second hand 2004 VOLVO cross over wagon.........leather trim ....excellent condition?  .........:embarrassed:

The transmission died........the repair quotation was AUD $8,500.00  >>:-(  <*<....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 01:38:25 am »

Come to liverpool we will soon get the light units off......and the wheels  engine seats etc  all while you sit in it at the lights.

Peter

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 03:23:01 am »

As Derek has mentioned,

In OZ we have a saying "another Volvo owner/driver"  shake our heads in dismay and give them a wide berth. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

brianB6

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 06:32:28 am »

Not quite as Derek has mentioned,

In OZ we have a saying "another *****  Volvo driver"  shake our heads in dismay and give them a wide berth. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

triumphjon

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 07:42:51 am »

having owned a pair of 240 estated  a t5 saloon and an 850 over the last five years or so i cant see why people condem them as bad cars , ive carried out all of my own maintenence , the last one being the 850 had to rebuild the whole front end , couldnt be easier to work on !

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 08:52:22 am »

Not quite as Derek has mentioned,

In OZ we have a saying "another *****  Volvo driver"  shake our heads in dismay and give them a wide berth. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Brian,

Agreed, O0 O0 O0 I was being polite to the poor sods {-) {-) {-)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 08:55:21 am »

Sorry triumphjon ... :o & also Martin. >>:-( ....who still has not changed the light globe   {-)

The marketing of the Volvo automobile in OZ in the 60's was as "the safest car in the world"  :police:

This then enthused many senior aged [60 year old +++] OZ citizens to purchase the said safest  car in the world  :P

So by mid 1960 we had some 4,000 mature [60 +++ year old drivers] driving the safest  car in the world...... %% & just to be safer drove @ 40 km/hour in 100 km/hour zones  %%

I think that this should explain the comments from both RaaArtyGunner & brianB6 ..........

The marketing costs of Volvo spare parts in OZ is also  %% ...........$750.00 for eight rubber bushes for the front suspension arms for the same 2004 Volvo cross over wagon

........ >>:-(   ....Derek

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

LarryW

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 09:29:19 am »

As they in top gear , WITH THAT BOMB SHELL GOOD NIGHT/  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) ;D

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 06:03:40 pm »

It could be worse. My smart car fourtwo had to have the front off to change the headlamp bulbs. Another step foreward for German technology. John.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 06:26:54 pm »

i replaced the headlamp in my wifes laguna diesel recently, the battery has to come out of the tray (and off the vehicle) the air filter casing and hose with the air flow sensor has to be then removed and then finally you get to the back of the headlamp unit, ... my 10 yr old son could get his fingers in to remove the wire spring clip holding the lamp in... - i couldnt without amputating an index finger first... then you need to  return all compnents int otheir correct positions, reconnect battery and then recode the car to the keyless entry cards and all that.. recode the radio and reset the clocks.... etc....

total task took nearly 2 hrs... funnily enough the chap in halfonrds said they could not fit for their £2.50 fee or whatever it iis !!!- funny that.....
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 06:56:23 pm »

Jaguar S-type took 5 minutes in a hotel car park, I was even wearing a business suit at the time, couldn't be easier.
Jim

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 07:04:34 pm »

i replaced the headlamp in my wifes laguna diesel recently, the battery has to come out of the tray (and off the vehicle) the air filter casing and hose with the air flow sensor has to be then removed and then finally you get to the back of the headlamp unit, ... my 10 yr old son could get his fingers in to remove the wire spring clip holding the lamp in... - i couldnt without amputating an index finger first... then you need to  return all compnents int otheir correct positions, reconnect battery and then recode the car to the keyless entry cards and all that.. recode the radio and reset the clocks.... etc....

total task took nearly 2 hrs... funnily enough the chap in halfonrds said they could not fit for their £2.50 fee or whatever it iis !!!- funny that.....

It's handy having small hands available , I got caught with my step brother about the same age as your son, under my mini (a long long time ago) he was putting the nuts on the engine mounts my father and step mother came home and caught me , they would not of minded  to much but it was one am and he was in his pajamas  :embarrassed:
Peter

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 10:12:31 pm »

Well you were all wrong!

The Volvo complete headlamp removal idea is quite brilliant.   :P

There I was, freezing my ears off in Halfords car park.... from bonnet open, change two bulbs, close bonnet,  8 minutes!!!

Nice one my Volvo.

PS. Did you know you can by non-road legal headlamp bulbs in Halfords?!?!? I nearly did!
      Apparently, they are call "rally bulbs" and are for "show cars".... 'street racers types'  I think!

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 12:21:40 am »

Well you were all wrong!

The Volvo complete headlamp removal idea is quite brilliant.   :P

There I was, freezing my ears off in Halfords car park.... from bonnet open, change two bulbs, close bonnet,  8 minutes!!!

Nice one my Volvo.

PS. Did you know you can by non-road legal headlamp bulbs in Halfords?!?!? I nearly did!
      Apparently, they are call "rally bulbs" and are for "show cars".... 'street racers types'  I think!

100 watt ones they are nice and bright great for an old chap like you,typical Volvo driver O0
how does it feel when a spoty Halfords guy is smarten than you HA HA HA ;D :embarrassed: :D

Peter

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 06:17:06 am »

As Welsh says, I wouldn't let them touch anything safety related in my car!    <*<
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 23 queries.