Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise in speed controler  (Read 4562 times)

Angus64

Noise in speed controler
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:37:26 am »

Hi Boys. Is anyone out there using a P80S CONDOR 20/2' AUTOSET Computer SPEED CONTROLLER from Action Electronics, I have just fitted one to my model boat & a P19 BEC 1A BATTERY ELIMINATOR. I am having trouble with the ESC all I can get out of it is a loud growl & the motor is turning very very slow in both forward & reverse. To be fair I have Emailed Dave & waiting for a reply,Just thought someone may know what I am doing wrong. Thank you.

Angus

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Noise in speed controler
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 03:58:29 am »

:embarrassed: Angus says........  ...... "all I can get out of it is a loud growl" .......are you sure that you haven't a Tasmanian tiger in there?  {-)

I am sure Dave will set you straight in a very short time..... :-)) ........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Angus64

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 07:32:46 am »

Hi Derek. I wish it was a Tasmanian tiger he would be worth a fortune. I sure Dave will have the answers when he reads my email. He said it would work & I have no doubt that it will.

Angus.   

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:51:04 am »

Unhitch the drive - it sounds like there is a very heavy load on the motor, possibly lots of friction in the prop shaft.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Angus64

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 10:14:53 am »

Hi . Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried it uncoupled from the propeller shaft made no difference to the motor. If I bypass the ESC the motor drives the propeller easily. so I am thinking it is the ESC . I am using a multi pole motor which might make a difference to the way the ESC works.

Angus.

ACTion

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 10:36:15 am »

I have replied direct to Gilbert. I also believe it's the multi-pole motor which is causing this problem (very large back-EMF involved).
Dave M

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 10:51:34 am »

Posted by: ACTion

I have replied direct to Gilbert. I also believe it's the multi-pole motor which is causing this problem (very large back-EMF involved).
Dave M

Who the hell is Gilbert ? 
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

ACTion

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 11:36:00 am »

Irrespective of his chosen Forum name this chap's given name, according to E-mail correspondence and our database, is Gilbert - hence that form of address.
Rather like you calling me Dave when my Forum name is 'ACTion'.
OK?  :kiss:
DM

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 12:15:25 pm »

Irrespective of his chosen Forum name this chap's given name, according to E-mail correspondence and our database, is Gilbert - hence that form of address.
Rather like you calling me Dave when my Forum name is 'ACTion'.
OK?  :kiss:
DM
You actually sign DM, Dave and Gilbert signs Angus, his user name is Angus64, thats ok then, clear as mud. O0

Timo2

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 12:58:02 pm »

Hi

ACTion / DickyD     Clam down   ( Toys and Prams )   <*<      ( mummy  Martin will get upset  >>:-( >>:-( )

It's about a ESC not his name  OK  :-))

Timo2

Grumpy Old Scottish Person

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 01:15:22 pm »

What are you on about you grumpy Scots person I'm OK and I reckon Dave has a sense of humour as well. :-))

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 01:42:11 am »

Some of us might not  %) %) %)

Angus64

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 10:50:05 am »

Hi Boys. been in touch with Dave at Action everything taken care of, thanks to all who replied to my post.

angus :-)) 

nick_75au

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 09:26:05 am »

So what was the Fix if you don't mind me asking, I have a friend that's buying a boat from me with a large multi pole motor and he needs an ESC for it, 24 volts and motor draws around 5 amps under load.

Nick

Angus64

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 01:12:26 am »

Hi Nick. I don't mind you asking at all, I am using a 12V 300watt 13 pole motor out of a Holden Commodore air fan, For some reason the esc wouldn't handle that motor, it works fine on other motors. Dave at Action offered to supply me with another ESC, (FOC). But I declined the offer & decided to have a talk to my local electronics man to see what he could come up with. Dave at Action is excellent to deal with & I sure he would have come up a fix if I had given him the chance to do that, As he said it would be difficulty to have the right gear for every motor that modellers want use in their models. I decided to keep his Action ESC to use in a smaller model nothing wrong with the ESC they are well put together.

If you are looking for a 24 volt ESC check out the site I have listed below they sound good.

EA ELECTRONICS: OPTICALLY ISOLATED SMARTCONTROL

Angus.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 04:16:49 am »

Angus,

Curious as to what you are powering with Holden fan motor

Angus64

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 05:53:22 am »

Hi.
 I am powering a model Trawler 1.5 Metres in length weighing in at 20Kg all up, I know it is a quite large model, I worked as a diesel marine fitter & done a lot of building & repair work on  wooden hulls before I retired. I scaled it after a 85 foot Cray & shark boat that that I maintained for around 30 years now sold to a New Zealand operator She is working as a scallop boat in the summer & tourist charter boat around the south island in winter , so I suppose I was thinking big at the time, It came up quite a good looking model.

Angus.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 10:06:14 am »

Angus,

Yes, very nice model, plenty of room,  can now see the need.
Thank you  :-)) :-))

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 09:36:35 am »

Hi Angus, what you need to do is make it a foot longer & put a nice 4 cylinder perkins diesel in it, it should chug along pretty good then, LOL. Mick B.
Mick B.

Angus64

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 02:41:54 am »

Hi Mick B. It is nearly big enough for a diesel motor, I have everything up & going now should be in the water with in the next few days, had it running in the bath to check for leaks in the stern tube & cooling lines, It just fits in the bath if I fill it right up, Couldn't put much power on or it pushes the water out over the end of the bath  , There were no problems so I am only waiting for the right day now. I will put a picture up when it is sailing.

Angus. :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.