Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Norfolk Wherrie  (Read 5778 times)

The Old Man

Norfolk Wherrie
« on: February 11, 2012, 03:28:16 pm »

My project for next autumn is to build a Norfolk Wherrie based on the plans from "Myhobbystore"  It will be clinker built using oak planks yet to be cut from old flooring. If the hull goes well it will be varnished, if not, painted!! I would be interested to know if anyone has built and sailed a Norfolk Wherrie and if so their comments on building and sailing. The plans are pretty basic and any photos would be appreciated. I have looked at the Norfolf Wherrie Trust web site but the photos are very general. Living some 200 miles from the Broards it is difficult to pop along to see one.

deadbeat

Re: Norfolk Wherrie
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:24:10 am »

I was on the Broads last year and took this.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:34:58 am »

These two items go back a few years, so I'm not sure what relevance they may have today. They were adverts given to me by the late Mike Taylor of the Scale Sail Association.

They may be of some use to you?

Rich

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:54:44 am »

"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 11:58:10 am »

My sailing buddy, Bernard made a beautiful sailing scale model of a wherry from the Bodel boats plan - or at least he enlarged the reduced version in the magazine and built from it.

Looked great, sailed well.  He built to 24 inches overall length to make a portable model.  Sail was a bedsheet dyed black.  Two normal servos rudder/mainsheet.  The sheet servo has an extended arm and used a double purchase

I have the issue of MB upstairs somewhere - would a look at the article/plan help?
andrew

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

The Old Man

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:00:40 am »

Thanks to you all, some very interesting and useful information. I was aware that the halyard winch needed to be hinged to allow the mast to be lowered but didn't know how until I saw a detailed picture on one of the web sites recommended by a3nige. The photo from deadbeat also shows the rigging very clearly. If you could, please Andrew, dig out the article which appeared in a back issue of the MB magazine it would be great. I suspect that the plan is the same as I will need to blow up the plan I have by 2 to produce a boat with an overall length of 30" (1/2" : 12" scale) I have looked through some of the back issues on the MB site but can't find the article. When I eventually get going I will keep the thread updated. The summer is for sailing not being stuck in the garage!

windyblow

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 08:48:53 pm »

Hi from Windyblow a fellow old man from Cumbria. I built a Norfolk Wherry several years ago as part of a project to build the twelve basic types of working barges around Britain to 1/50 scale. (I was born on a Humber keelboat and lived aboard for first four years of my life ). I hope the following will be of some assistance to you.

1. Plans used--- Nexus Plan MM1367
     2. How a Norfolk Wherry was built circa 1825 by Mike Fuller (Norfolk  Boatbuilder retired). This was the most useful booklet of all, being 36 foolscap pages of descriptions and sketches of every minute detail of a Wherry. Cannot remember how I located it but it was downloaded from the Internet. Try "THE MUSEUM OF THE BROADS"

windyblow

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 09:20:21 pm »

Sorry but the whole of my post has not been transmitted.
      continue:-- 
        3. Black Sailed Traders - I S B N 0 7153 5443 4 by Roy Clark  Published by DAVID @ CHARLES: NEWTON ABBOT. Anexcellent book describing life abord a working Wherry. Good to read in conjunction with your build. I would love to see it sailing. You have inspired me to consider rebuilding to a larger scale as I am now into radio sailing.

Cheers     Windyblow, Cumbria.

The Old Man

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 07:20:10 pm »

Thanks Windyblow. The plans are the same as you mentioned but I have had them blown up to double size. I have been in touch with The Museum of the Broads and, a cost of £6.00,  they are are sending me a copy of How a Norfolk Wherry was Built circa 1825. I have a birthday coming up next month and have put the book "Black Sailed Traders" on my wish list. My problem now is stopping myself from starting straight away!

Marc St Hilaire 60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Older but no wiser!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 11:06:03 am »

I wonder how this project is going?

I saw a sailing model of a wherry last weekend gone. It was a 1:16 model of the Albion. When I commented that it was not clinker built, as I assumed they were, I was told they weren't clinker built, or at least Albion wasn't/isn't! The model was made of double diagonal planking and beautifully executed.

I have a plan (very old) in 1:48 showing clinker construction from Model Boats Plans Service. Maybe they build both.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 04:59:57 pm »

there were a couple of wherries that were clinker and carvel built, I recall it was carvel (butted planks) below the water line for racing.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 05:02:23 pm »

there is an ongoing thread on wherries here - http://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/topic/6896-wherries/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.