Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first working submarine  (Read 3026 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
My first working submarine
« on: March 25, 2012, 12:21:38 am »

My first working 'submarine'

Both my workbenches have been reallocated into submarine builds following the completion of my destroyer.  However, all work has been on hold for three weeks whilst waiting for key parts from Germany and America.  The Engel Type 212A is short of special servos and X tail mixer, plus the K boat needs its micro LiPo-Guard and battery.

I am SO glad Mayhem is back because with no build work to get on with and nothing to read online this dockyard was in danger of having to lay off 1/96 scale figures.

I am sure our boats talk to each other.  Maybe that caused the near calamity this week, careless whispers about how great it would be to submerge and surface as well as going round in circles.  I guess my two surface warships were easily led.

It was a lovely day on Thursday, if a bit gusty, so I took the working ships to the lake for a relaxing workout.  HMS Skirmisher was heading slowly into the wind when a freaky gust raised a series of three inch waves.  Two inch freeboard had always been more than adequate, but I watched in horror as mini-tsunamis washed along the main deck behind the 3 inch f’o’c’sle.  Water resistant -  but not a four foot WTC, I got it to the bank just as the stern submerged like an M2 seaplane carrier.

Damn !  That was a close call.  Luckily damage was limited to a new receiver and replacing the rudder servo for a waterproof one.

OK,  it was a rebuild that came with drop-in decks.  It is now in for a refit to build in a series of watertight bulkheads, rebated comings and magnetic catches, like my destroyer.  I was recommended the submersible pump and bilge pump controller from Hunter Systems, which are on order.  A little like the snort pump for my K9 submarine.  Hopefully the big pump can keep water from building up, or at least give more time to get to shore.

When the parts arrive for my subs they will be designed to take on water, and expel it.  
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: My first working submarine
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:27:38 am »

If you have any space inside, you may want to try and squeeze in a chunk of expanded polystyrene foam. Should the worst happen, it should be sufficient to keep your boat at least partially afloat to enable recovery.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:57:21 pm »

Thanks Andy, I will try that.  O0
Back at the lake today there was an awesome HMS Unseen, I understand an OCW.  The pitch and level controls gave it such precise positioning in the water.  The more I learn about subs the more I want to get mine operational, with waterproof "L" plates of course !
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 02:49:26 pm »

HMS Unseen- which one? The WWII U-class or the later Upholder class boat? Do you mean OTW? OTW do a really nice Upholder class kit, but don't do a U-class, they do produce a really nice S-class boat.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 03:31:17 pm »

I believe Upholder class, modern sub.  Could be OTW.  Big single curved blade brass prop. Clever use of foredeck (sonar?) as 1/4 turn upper hull fastner. 

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 05:05:42 pm »

OTW Upholder by Dwayne Hill

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 10:43:26 pm »

Yes, just like that, only in matt black.  Next time I see it I will take some photos and get more details.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 22 queries.