Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: propeller rotation  (Read 14797 times)

murphy1570

propeller rotation
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:32:08 am »

Hello folks
Sorry if this question sounds a wee bit stupid ,when viewing a propeller from the rear/stern, which way should it revolve when the throttle stick is moved forward, and when the stick is moved to the bottom, is it the case that shoving the stick forward the prop moves anti-clockwise, and clockwise when moved to the bottom. I do not have access to a test tank (bath), and am wary of putting my model in a local pond when I am unsure of which way it will go having spent some time getting it to this stage.

Thanks all the best, John.

gwa84

Re: propeller rotation
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 01:59:19 am »

normal rotation is anti clockwise for forword motion  :-))

nick_75au

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:09:50 am »

You could just feel the air blowing off the prop. ok2 the rotation could depend on whether its a right hand or left hand prop.

For correct operation air will be blowing aft when pushing the stick to give Fwd motion ;)

Nick

MikeA

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:27:01 am »

If you watch this you tube vid it shows the operation of the propeller, from it you will be able to determine your self your own propellers which direction they need to turn to go forward:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpklBS3s7iU&feature=related

the white lines spiralling away from the propeller is the cavitation and its showing the woodscrew affect the propeller leaves in the water

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:29:55 pm »

Nick,

Simple brilliant answer.  :-)) :-))
Have had some problems, trying to work out which is the leading edge of a prop, and which one was left handed or right handed. O0 O0

nhp651

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:05:34 pm »

as for rotation, either way can be "standard".
I would normally run my single props clockwise......but it's just to your own choice, and this topic will and has rumbled on for an eternity.
neil.

sailorboy61

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 02:28:39 pm »

in my 30 experience of the real world, majority of ships I have sailed on prop rotates clockwise viewd from astern as ship moves ahead.

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 03:38:10 pm »

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/alanann/propturn.htm

Alans Boatyard website - helps and tips - found this helpful

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 03:53:56 pm »

Put your boat in the water gently move the throttle forward. If the boat goes forward all well and good. If not change the servo reverse switch on your transmitter for the throttle channel. Boat should now sail forward. Job done.  :-))
Don't Assume Check

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 04:03:12 pm »

Don't forget to switch back for other models  O0 O0 O0

Unless you are using a Tx with model memory when
you just programme the parameters for the model in use.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 04:28:04 pm »

Instead of using servo reverse. why not change motor wires round? John.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 02:29:33 pm »

Is this correct?     !

Right Hand = Anti-clockwise rotation looking from the rear of the boat
Left Hand  = Clockwise rotation looking from the rear of the boat

If so, WHY?!

http://www.propellerhub.com/rotation.html
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 04:31:25 pm »

We've been here before. \Depends whether you've got one rudder or two and whther you want speed or control.
If I were you Martin, I'd use the forum's search facility  :P
Don't Assume Check

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 05:17:58 pm »

Traditionally, among seamen, a propellor turning ahead when viewed from astern turning clockwise is called right handed. I have noticed since taking up modelling that this convention is reversed by European prop makers. Convention also has it that slow speed twin screw vessels have outboard turning props when turning ahead. Twin screw high speed warships on the other hand traditionally have inboard turning props. The reasons for this are that inboard turning props are said to be more efficient for generating speed. Outboard turning props are better when manoevering and turning short round as when the inboard screw is reversed the transverse thrust of each prop is added together and complements the couple between the ahead and the astern screws resulting in a faster turn. The transverse thrust is reduced when Kort nozzles are used. A Damen 2909 Shoalbuster tug I skippered had inboard turning screws but she was still very handy and even steered surprisingly well when going astern at speed. Clear as mud, yeah?
Jerry.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 06:04:17 pm »

convention is reversed by European prop makers

That's what I thought Jerry!   :-))

( talking about single props Doug! )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 07:11:20 pm »

No wonder this topic keeps coming up.  The more people write the more confused it becomes.
ie:  Inward turning prop.  Is that turing inwards at the top, or the bottom?
Quite often it is not defined whether we are looking from aft, or forward.
From photos I am working to my current build appears to be opposite to 'convention'.

Perhaps we should all use Tug Kenny's Avatar to define rotation direction.   {-)
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 07:16:50 pm »

I said it was clear as mud diddle I. Inboard/outboard looking at the top of the prop.
Jerry.

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 07:29:07 pm »

Jerry ,your quite correct ,it is also a very big explanation if it was to be discused between naval achitectured type men ,its a subject on its own and very interesting but quite technical ,i had to do the study years ago for the b o trade exam ..

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 07:40:40 pm »

Perhaps we should all use Tug Kenny's Avatar to define rotation direction.   {-)

OK by me.     :}

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 08:38:34 pm »

From Harbor models site,,

Rivabo Brass Propellers
Props marked (*) are available in 4mm shaft size
A Word About Prop Rotation
In Europe, the rotation or hand of a prop is determined by looking at the front of the boat and watching the prop turn. Here, in North America, prop rotation is decided by viewing the boat from the aft end. Therefore, hobbyists are continually confused by which prop to purchase, left hand or right hand.

A simple way to identify prop rotation is to do the following:
1. place a prop on a table and position one blade at "12 o'clock"
2. the edge of the blade that is closest to the table top is the leading edge
3. if the leading edge is on the right side of the prop, then the prop is right handed
4. this prop should turn clockwise to push the boat forward.
5. if the left edge of the prop is closest to the table top, it is a left handed prop and it should turn counterclockwise in order to push the boat forward.
6. determine the rotation of a prop in this manner instead of depending on markings on the prop itself or packaging it came in. This is important as the markings made by a European manufacturer will be the opposite to what you want.

Boats with twin props will be set up with the port or left hand side of the boat prop turning counterclockwise. When installing the corresponding motor, you may have to reverse the power wires to the motor to achieve a counterclockwise rotation. DC powered motors are designed to run clockwise. Run the motor for at least 30 minutes to break it in for counterclockwise running.

On our site, all of our props are identified using the North American definition. However, the packaging may show a rotation as identified in Europe. Keep this in mind to eliminate being confused.

Here is what we consider to be left and right propellers:

LEFT HAND
Gunna build those other boats one day.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 01:15:14 am »

Keep this in mind to eliminate being confused.

No chance.

Aint it great. There are two possible conventions for this and whadyaknow, one half of the western world picks one and the other half the other.
And the UK falls in the middle as ever - like our semi-metrication.
Is this just model props or a full size thing? Given how international shipping is you'd think they have been a bit more organised by now.

And if one ordered a prop from China or that way, through ebay or Hobbyking for example, I wonder what you'd get? US or EU?

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 09:43:17 pm »

In general, the vast majority of single screw ships have a propeller that rotates clockwise when viewed from the back end of the vessel when going ahead. 
This convention is mainly historic as Great Britain developed screw propulsion in the first place.
After that, ship Masters,Pilots and so on were brought up on right handed props. After that, the Nautical schools who taught the basics of ship handling always concentrated on the handling characteristics of such propellers.
So. "We" all grew up knowing that a "Right Handed" prop would, when going ahead, pull the stern out to starboard and the bows to port. An experienced helmsman would normally hand over his stint on the wheel by telling his relief that she's "carrying one (or 2) spokes". Meaning that the small angle he was giving the rudder was enough to maintain a set compass course. We all grew up with that, and it works. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 09:58:33 pm »

This convention is mainly historic as Great Britain developed screw propulsion in the first place.

Yes, and I'd think that 'RH' was normal because that is the way a standard machine screw thread works, and we call that a RH thread. It's probably also why the view from the stern is used as that is where you view a machine screw from when installing it.
Why Europe, or rather the rest of Europe since in the UK we tend to still use the above, decided to use another/the other way of looking at it I'd be interested to know. The US drive on the left (as do ships) so that can't be it.
Is this a recent or long standing difference?
And does it apply to 'European' machine screws (nuts, bolts, etc) as well? That would mean being careful if ordering threaded parts from European suppliers  :embarrassed:

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 10:07:52 pm »

Interesting Bryan, thanks for that, as makes some remarks made to me years ago (1968) by the skipper of our local mv Towai, which started life towards the end of WW2 in a british yard. Apparently, she was designed as a twin screw vessel, and all material was ordered, but by the time the engines arrived, she'd been redesigned as a single screw and her sister received the right hand set, while the Towai, received the left hand set.
During her long life crossing cook strait in NZ, many a 'new' pilot was caught, expecting the normal pull, to suddenly find quite the opposite, much to his embarrassment.
Thanks for explaining
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 10:14:53 pm »

In general, the vast majority of single screw ships have a propeller that rotates clockwise when viewed from the back end of the vessel when going ahead. 

I thought Great Britain's propeller spun Anticlock?!?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.