Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Newb with questions  (Read 2703 times)

invader1

Another Newb with questions
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:33:33 am »

After not having played with and or built the toys of my youth for the last 48 years, I recently found plans for the Springer tug and put together a hull. This was dirt cheap!
I also started building a hydroplane which is almost done, but the tug will be a lot more fun plus I have a two year old grandson and we will be able to go to the pond together.
After going through a pile of posts the immediate question I have is how are the superstructures/deckhouses secured? I am assuming that they are a friction fit over the coamings but maybe I'm wrong.
Mechanical fasteners would make me feel a whole lot better but I don't see any in the pictures I've looked at. Possibly they are not needed?
Thanks for the help.
                                                                     Invader1

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another Newb with questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:53:29 am »

Welcome to the Mayhem.  As a first-time Springer builder 4 years ago I both sealed my top to the hull and "fastened" it on securely with some weatherstrip.  This boat has survived a few water polo games (very rough) and is launched each time it goes out by tossing it into the pond ("Springer Launch").  The top stays on, and no water gets in.

I am a member of the Northwest R/C Ship Modelers, Seattle, from which the Springer design sprung.  So I have seen many of them, mostly with just a decent coaming and a snug fit.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:44:31 am »

Magnets is one way to go!
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

invader1

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:24:56 am »

Magnets is a good idea-I have an old cell phone holster-took out the magnets-powerful little buggers. It takes some effort to pry them off my desk lamp.

Big Ada

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 05:58:43 pm »

I find that gravity is enough to hold the superstructure secure on my Springers and all my other boats.

Len

rcboater

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 11:41:15 pm »

Hey Invader1,

You're not very far from us--   the Marine Modelers Club of New England.   Check out our website at www.marinemodelers.org
We're in the winter doldrums right now, the club officers are working up the activity schedule for 2012.  I should have the webiste updated with that info by early Feb.

A couple of us are workign on Springers--  mine is just a pile of wood parts at this point.  Gotta move them a little closer to the glue bottle soon! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.