Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ageing tongue and groove cabin  (Read 2840 times)

Lash151

Ageing tongue and groove cabin
« on: February 12, 2012, 03:02:10 pm »

Hi... I am working on a 1930s Chesapeake fishing boat at the moment and I am trying to achieve a white painted tongue and groove effect. Its 1/20 scale so its a reasonable size but the example photos I am working from are all of restored boats so they are clean and freshly painted but obviously the T&G has been rubbed down and repainted many times in its life and thats the effect I want.  I started off by actually planking the ply cabin with 1mm thick planks then painting over it, but when sprayed, the grooves didn't fill in, so I brush painted to fill the grooves! Then I sprayed it... but this time the grooves filled in too much... so I ran a dead biro down the grooves to define them more... and resprayed it and did the biro thing again...and now I don't know where I am at!! I can't tell if I am achieving the right appearance or just kidding myself that my over worked cabin looks right.... I will post some pics when I find the camera lead... but in the meantime, has anyone done a tongue and groove effect successfully... and how!  I would be interested in other techniques.
Lee

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Ageing tongue and groove cabin
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 03:39:55 pm »

I did my 1/16 Brittany trawler by planking the superstructure with 1/16" planks but with a slight chamfer on one edge. I stained mine mahogany. I like the effect.
Don't Assume Check

Lash151

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:52:16 pm »

That looks really good... annoyingly mine needs to be gloss white so requires several coats of paint... subsequently the grooves were filling in.
Lee

dbninja

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:24:34 pm »

That looks really good... annoyingly mine needs to be gloss white so requires several coats of paint... subsequently the grooves were filling in.
Lee

Lee
it may be hind sight... but pre-painting your T & G before you fit it to the model would be the way to do this...   basically pre-paint upto the "next to last finishing coat"

D

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 07:32:05 pm »

We had an old (full size) boat years ago, with tongue and groove cabin roof, but it had been covered in canvas and painted over for years, so had a smooth finish.

Lash151

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:09:53 pm »

Lee
it may be hind sight... but pre-painting your T & G before you fit it to the model would be the way to do this...   basically pre-paint upto the "next to last finishing coat"

D

This is an annoying good idea... I wish I had thought of it  :}  I shall definately do that next time!
Lee
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 22 queries.