Shows, Events, Club websites and Club Events > Club Events and News

Panmure Basin Festival 2012, Auckland, NZ

(1/1)

AlisterL:
Greetings to all,

each year in the Panmure basin a festival type event is held - various things happen: model engineers get their trains out, the brass band(s) turns up and various other people do things, including the Scale Marine Modellers of Auckland.
This year the festival day was Sunday Feb, 12th and it was, quite frankly a bit of a mucky day - windy and eventually wet, with bit of sunshine thrown in for good measure.
The SMM'ers put on a display of boats owned by members and also run the "public boats" - simple and slow sports boats that people pay $2 to pilot around for 5 minutes. It helps generate funds for the club. Nobody sailed much as it was generally too windy, although the yachts did try once or twice, nearly succeeding in becoming subs on the odd occasion when the wind really gusted...

Anyway, here are the boats that were on display yesterday.

More to follow...

AlisterL:
More boats:

The next two photos are maybe a little interesting as all the boats are to the same scale - 1/72 I believe. The barge (and I wish I had taken a better shot) is about 2 metres in length and will be towed by the London when it is complete:

More to come.

AlisterL:
Final shots:

If anyone can tell me what the following is I would appreciate it - my Uncle gave it to me in a few years ago - he built it when he was a teenager in the '60s. Interestingly the hull seems to be all fibreglass...

My sons first boat nearly ready - it's the same hull and structure as the club boats (Sorry Dicky, no build log for that  ;) )

The next two shots were taken with the panorama setting on my Android smartphone (Go for it Martin!)

This second photo, which admittedly didn't stitch together too well, is a full 180 degree view of the pond we use.

And a final shot of the club boats in use:

TTFN!

kiwimodeller:
Having seen your photos of the display I wish now that I had taken the trouble to come Alister. Having gone up to Auckland last year and been rained off I took a look out the window early on Sunday and decided it was too dicey but in your photos the weather does not look too bad. See you in Hamilton in March. Cheers, Ian.

AlisterL:
Hi Ian,

it was fairly windy and I nearly didn't go as it looked dicey. I'm intending to go to Hamilton - it will be nice to meet you there!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version