Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Majestic  (Read 3418 times)

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
HMS Majestic
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:52:05 am »

Has anyone built the Deans kit of HMS Majestic?
If so, any comments re quality of kit  and satisfaction with completed model?
It's an expensive kit and I don't want to spend money without some feedback

Thanks

bobk

Re: HMS Majestic
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 12:50:47 pm »

Ken:   I recently went up to Deans specifically to look at this kit.  The quality of the hull and fittings looked super, the only thing that changed my choice of Deans kit to buy that day was the sheer complexity of it all.  A huge quantity of well made fittings, plus sheets and sheets of brass etchings, this model is not for the fient hearted, nor quoted as "Pride Of Our Fleet" without just cause.
At the time I thought my skills were perhaps not up to a project on this scale yet, but still yearn to get one some day.
I know you are a long way from Peterborough, but it would be well worth arranging to go up to Deans and see it for yourself.  They have HMS Hannibal made up in the showroom. 

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 01:40:33 pm »

Its a good twelve months work, I built mine about 6years ago....

Russ

victorian

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 08:29:13 pm »

If you love the look of these beautiful ships then there is no better way to get one than the Deans kit. However, as said already, it is a big kit! Mine stayed in the box for several years before I summoned up the courage to start on it and took about a year to complete.

If you are interested in historical detail then do decide which ship you are going to build before you start. This was the largest class of battleships ever built and all of them had subtle differences, in the position and type of masts, torpedo nets and shape of turrets to mention a few. On the plus side, most of these ships have no surviving models - I've not been able to find any builder's model  of any of them - so of the 9, you have 5 or 6 to choose from without fear of meeting another one! I've never come across any model of Jupiter, Prince George, Victorious or Illustrious.

The most convenient source of information is Conway's Warship Vol VII (1983) in two articles by RA Burt. Much of the same information is in Burt's book BRITISH BATTLESHIPS 1889-1904 which is quite expensive! The PRO at Kew have official photos of most of the ships which is invaluable if your model is 'as launched'.

My model of Mars is based on the Hannibal kit which contains a lot of extra detail. I suggest getting Ron to show you the kits so that you know what you are getting. I used the hull and superstructure base straight out of the box but scratch built most of the bridge detail because Mars has the foremast going through the wheelhouse, not behind it as in Hannibal. Make sure the hull has plenty of re-inforcing to keep it stiff and make the fit of the upper deck between hull and superstructure as accurate as humanly possible so there is no unsightly line. I filled the ram bow solid for about 3" back because that ram really works!

The model needs plenty of power and I used two car heater motors which give superb slow turning props in complete silence. Be sure to have differential power because the model will turn on it's own axis which is quite helpful. Here's some pics:

Dreadstar

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:20:20 am »

I have always felt that these ships look far nicer in the Victorian livery than in battleship grey. :-))

bobk

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 12:59:18 am »

Thank you for the invaluable tips 'Victorian'.  I shall store those carefully away until the day I pluck up the courage to buy one, which I probably will do eventually.  I need to build a couple more ships before I have the confidence to take on such a complex detailed project.

Victorian colour scheme of course, Dreadstar ! 

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 02:09:27 pm »

Thanks for all the inputs, a great help.

Now I have to work on she-who must-be-obeyed !!!

She tells me I must sell something and that I have too many ships on the go
Just a 40% built Fleetscale USS Missouri, a Jokita Victory (60%) and a Speedline Tamar which I keep getting stuck on: got to work out the mast assembly and the cabin interior.

Complete I have  a Fleetscale/Sirmar Flower Class corvette 1:48,  Speedline 1:16 Severn, and a Model Slipway Tamar.

Getting short of space!!!!!

KenP
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.