Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Humbrol enamel and Halfords Acrylic  (Read 2527 times)

returnee

Humbrol enamel and Halfords Acrylic
« on: February 13, 2012, 07:36:48 pm »

Hi,
I am wanting to paint some small areas with Humbrol enamel paint before I spray the larger area with Halfords acrylic paint.
Can you advise me if I will get any adverse reaction between the two types of paint, your help will be appreciated.
Gerard

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Humbrol enamel and Halfords Acrylic
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:55:03 pm »

This has been covered in previous posts. Its best not too. You maybe lucki or . It is so hard to remove paint thats gone wrong. As it seems you are starting from afresh use one or tother . John.

bobk

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 08:05:32 pm »

John is right.  I have successfully painted small detail areas in Humbrol over well dried acrylics, but have been advised here not to try it the other way round.  If I am reading your post correctly, would it be possible to spray the larger areas with Halfords acrylics first, then do the detail areas with Humbrol afterwards? 

wartsilaone

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 08:19:18 pm »

Yes I have found to my cost that you can spray enamel over acrylic but if you spray acrylic over enamel it will crumple up and you will have to start again. As acrylic dries it contracts taking the softer enamel with it.

Ali

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:29:21 pm »

As Previous post says DO NOT spray the Halford over the enamel you will REGRET it big time they will react ......spray the Halfords paint FIRST then do the enamel as it wont react then

Dave

returnee

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 08:44:02 pm »

Thanks for all the warnings,as the small areas will have to be done first I will find a non enamel paint to do it with.
Thanks to you all.
Gerard

bobk

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 08:51:33 pm »

I suggest you use Tamiya acrylics if you have to do those bits first, these small bottles will brush (or airbrush spray with a little Tamiya thinners) and should not react.  eg: I have used Halfords rattle can acrylic for the under hull and sprayed Tamiya acrylic for the rest of the hull.  

returnee

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 12:03:19 pm »

Thanks for that Bob,
Gerard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.