Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Yarmouth Modified Type 12  (Read 10901 times)

mikearace

Re: HMS Yarmouth Modified Type 12
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 02:31:27 pm »

Well had some time this week, last weekend and today to make some progress.  Mast is virtually done now, some finishing off needed at the end by fitting the birdcage etc but essentially its done.  Main hull painting is now complete.  Not too happy with the decks and where they join the round hull side flange that is part of the moulding.  I did that twice at the start and couldnt get it right and thought it was pretty good but as always paint doesnt just hide mistakes it shows inperfections 10 fold!!  But it will have to do.  I dont build museum quality (by skill level or lack of it and not by choice) so this is gonna have to be it.  There isnt a lot left to do now - I need some time on finishing the hangar detail such as hangr FD lights, Sea Cat pipework etc and I will paint her off the model, then a few other fittings including the corvus, the 20mm etc davits and ships boats. I ahve a shed load of old Deans vac forms I was going to use but Im tempted to be lazy and splash out on quaycraft.   Paint the deck and the deck markings round the 4.5 area and then finally the 4.5. Almost there.  Then decide what to build next!! .

pugwash

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 05:27:17 pm »

Looking good Mike, its surprising how it starts to come together with a coat of paint.

Geoff

LarryW

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 07:25:19 pm »

HI MIKE, 
           its looking great on photos ,    did you get scansions ?.you wanted  post  when you launch her ......LARRY...

mikearace

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 07:29:57 pm »

Going tot be ordering some James lane Stanchions.  Hoping to give her her first outing on December 4th when its one of my clubs winter regatta series days.  The november one is next week which is too early.  So target date for completion is 5 weeks and I think I will get most of her done by then but being realistic I think I wont have managed the stanchions being fitted by then.

mikearace

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 01:46:49 pm »

Well over the last 3 weeks I have struggled to get in any meaningful time in one go with her because of family commitments including 2 weddings and having to commute 300 miles each weekend to sort out an ill 93 yo father in law. But I have managed the odd hour here and there and a whole morning today. Oh joy!! But the odd hours add up and it now is almost getting there and completed. A few fittings to place and this incldues davits and boats, sea cat missiles and deck markings but its not looking bad now

mikearace

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 06:45:30 pm »

Well managed to get some time in yesterday and today after having a disrupted last week travelling to the North East to sort out my father in laws ill health, and having to miss a damn good run ashore in Brum on remembrance day with some old oppo's toboot, and now getting to the point where there is a lot of fiddly bits to do, those last few bits where you think its almost done then realise theres something you missed. Not quite at the point where she is finished but the end is in sight. Have fitted half of the life rafts and am in the middle of putting on the flight deck markings with the Y M and the landing spot cirlcle to go over the centre cross. One side of the fligh deck side netting is also on. A half hour each night over the next 2 weeks and she will be ready for a first sail on 4th December. It will be then be time to move to another build.

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 08:02:27 pm »

Been a bit way laid in Yarmouth's build but with the last weeks good weather and the lighter nights I have had a chance to spend some time on the last few bits of the build which is mainly stanchion work and some tidying up and final paint touches.  I have also decided not to fit the birdcage top of the mast as although I have made it ready to fit it is ridicously fragile and even taking it off for sailing it wont last 5 minutes.  Its not going to be a museum model by any stretch but I am pleased enough with the build without the final mast top and she looks as close to Yarmouth to me in my mind.  Over the weekend I will complete the last few bits of stanchion work and nameplates and she is done

Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 11:19:06 pm »

Looks great Mike.  I know what you mean about the FH4 - I took one look at it and also decided not to install it on my mast
but I did use it as a template and built my own in .3 .5 and  .6mm tubing  - its more sturdy and I can take it off the masthead for
transporting the model.  Problem is I am now months behind you.

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.