Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spithead Review Programme  (Read 2275 times)

Nordsee

Spithead Review Programme
« on: January 28, 2012, 04:41:26 pm »

I have recently been given a copy of the Official Programme for the Silver Jubilee Review of the Fleet on the 16th July 1935. There were a total of 136(!) Ships for Review and the Programme details the various Battleships, Cruisers and lead Ships of Destroyer Types. It has 52 pages with lots of photos, articles and illustrations. One advert is for Naval Rangefinders!!
 For most people just a old book, but I am sure there are many who would very much enjoy reading it. Obviously it is rather delicate, the wire staples in the cover have rusted through the paper, but it is robust enough to be read, with care. Has anyone here an idea of value? Would anyone like to borrow it, on pain of death to return it naturally! Comments would be valued, when I get my cranky camera functioning I will take some pics of the Cover and some inside pages.

Nordsee

Re: Spithead Review Programme
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 03:32:19 pm »

Here are photos of the cover and one of the centre pages with the deployment of the ships.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:49:22 pm »

I paid about a fiver for mine,in much the same condition.They quite often appear on fleabay. Nice reference though.You are being very kind to offer to loan it,I would suggest maybe you photo copy any of the content people ask for.I would certainly not loan mine out,sorry!
          I also have the 1937 version,which was attended by the German Pocketbattleship "Graf Spee" Who what have thought that just a few months later she would take part in one of the most famous of all sea battles. There is another thread elsewhere on Mayhem,which has photos of this beautiful ship.
 I think the Spithead Review,if there is one to celebrate the Queens Jubilee, could probably take place on the boating lake at Portsmouth.At least the modellers will have more ships! LOL
Mick

victorian

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 07:58:17 pm »

Here's a list of ships in the 1897 Diamond Jubilee Review and the layout of the fleet. Turbinia is not listed!, but two of my models, Pelorus and Mars, are.

farrow

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:03:28 pm »

I may sound a bit cynical, but will there be a diamond review for our present monarch, I mean as head of the commonwealth, there Could be a commonwealth naval review rather than a British review. Any one have any comments!!!!

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:45:47 am »

I think it will be an international affair, as usual. I can remember being greatly impressed by the 1977 review, mildly so by the 2002 review and now wonder if we actually have enough of a navy left (allowing for the ships on active deployment worldwide) to put on much of a show.  :((
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 10:16:40 am »

Courtesy of Wikepedia......07.02.2012.........  >:-o ....Derek

A fleet review is a traditional gathering of ships from a particular navy to be observed by the reigning monarch or his or her viceroy, a practice allegedly dating back to the 15th century. Such an event is not held at regular intervals and originally only occurred when the fleet was mobilised for war or for a show of strength to discourage potential enemies. However, since the 19th century they have often been held for the coronation or for special royal jubilees (indeed, since Edward VIII it has been regularly held at each coronation, though the one scheduled in the United Kingdom for Queen Elizabeth II's Golden Jubilee was cancelled due to costs  :o .......
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Nordsee

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 12:11:52 pm »

Sounds about right for this day and age! Maybe we have lots of Ships down in the South Atlantic, could have a Review there, that would really P+++ off Mr Sean Penn!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.