Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air lookout post (type 81)  (Read 2150 times)

Ted_H

Air lookout post (type 81)
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:15:11 pm »

I'm still on with the build of my type 81 HMS Nubian.
However on the flag deck (above the bridge)there are 4 positions for air lookout posts. I understand these are seated positions inside a round tube with a framework for binoculars.
unfortunately I cant find any reference or pictures of these.
Could anyone help me either with a description or a photo of such so I can model them.
I'm building in 1/96 so fine detail wouldn't be too important, although I like to do as much as I can, more than just an emty tube.

Thanks
Ted  :police:

deadbeat

Re: Air lookout post (type 81)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 12:55:10 pm »

I've built the Deans HMS Nubian, piccies on this site just search for nubian, but I doubt if the piccies would help you in this instance. There are some upgrades from the Deans fittings though, including a Wasp helo and wood decking and I also souced the 20mm oerlikons elsewhere.

pugwash

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:26:30 pm »

Sorry Ted all photos I have of this area of the ship - the lookout sights are covered in canvas covers.
From the plans I have and from previous builds I will be using 9.5 mm evergreen tubing - it is the perfect size.
It needs a large (about 8mm hole cutting in the side for the legs to stick out then it needs a frame and footrestcoming out the bottom of
of the hole a small seat base inside and and seat back - these were both painted brown as I think they were leather or pvc.
the top of the tubing needs a piece of plasticard about 1.5 wide sticking round the top and then carefully filing off at an angle so that it
sticks out more at the bottom - this painted white to simulate the 6 inch wide canvas screen which could be pulled up in bad weather.
then I used some .5 rod to simulate the binocular support bar with a couple of short rods of .7 in the middle to for the binocs.
Hope that makes sense as I have no pics at present

Geoff

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 02:57:03 pm »

A bit before a Type 81 Frigate
More like a Tribal Destroyer methinks
Ned (1st Commission HMS Eskimo 1962-64)

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Ted_H

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 03:41:56 pm »

Thanks to those who replied.
I am building a type 81 on a Deans marine hull. However all the years ago when I bought it I only purchased the hull and a quantity of plastic card sheet. The rest I'm constructing from scratch using photos,and differing parts of plans.

Fortunately since I shelved this build many years ago the internet has become more available for research. That is how I found there something to be missing from the information I have about these air lookout posts, that and a chat with a collegue who served on Nubian. (I have a builders plan that shows them, but no information).

Thanks Geoff for your informative description, it fits with what I had in my mind and the dimensions you give are most usefull
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.